TSR Fantasy Football League 2008/9 Watch

This discussion is closed.
GYinWL
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)
Irrelevant. Ronaldo has West Ham and then Hull at home, I think he'll do well in those games. We'll see how it looks after a couple of games :p:
Dunno about that. We were slightly fortunate to win against West Ham today and Hull are third in the league afterall.
mermania
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The bonus points in the Portsmouth v Fulham game are interesting - Belhadj 1, Diarra 3....and no-one got 2:unsure:
GYinWL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
D Traore mistakenly got the two bonus points instead of A Traore...
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How is the average score 45 =|

I came 1,315,306 this week, WTF, i knew i'd done badly, but I didn't think it was *that* bad!
Thank **** for Adebayor, otherwise i wud have come literally last.
Colesy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
How is the average score 45 =|

I came 1,315,306 this week, WTF, i knew i'd done badly, but I didn't think it was *that* bad!
Thank **** for Adebayor, otherwise i wud have come literally last.
Lol have I justified my choice of captain now?

Internet went down the ******* all yesterday so I couldn't get on. Robson Souza as captain was a masterstroke, got a bit lucky elsewhere, no Denilson so my clean sheet Agger came on. Disappointed Ireland/SWP didn't join in the party though.

Lol some guy in one of my leagues got 79, he had Agbonlahor/Adebayor/Robinho all upfront.. But captained Adebayor :p:

Lol my H2H GD is +121! :|

Deadline is really close this week due to the midweek game, Denilson out - Arteta in for me.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Colesy)
Lol have I justified my choice of captain now?
I never disagreed with your choice of captain, it was clearly always a good choice. I was mearly pointing out reasons for why Ronaldo may have been chosen.
.Andrew.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not a bad score this week, had Robinho as Captain, so got a fair few points from him.

Taking Torres out & putting Robinho in has payed off quite well.

:teeth:
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Slipped down to 39th.
Colesy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
I never disagreed with your choice of captain, it was clearly always a good choice. I was mearly pointing out reasons for why Ronaldo may have been chosen.

I meant as opposed to Ronaldo, should have put it in my original post.

Hmm stuck mainly between Zaki/Ronaldo/Arteta/Robson as captain this week.

Can't decide. Leaning towards Zaki though.
Colesy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jaydoh)
Slipped down to 39th.
Just looked at your team, really unlucky to have such a bad week.

(Original post by geoff_yin)
In the long run I reckon it'll be better. I definitely want to be keeping a 3-4-3 formation since defenders get nowhere near as many points as strikers do, so having a good third striker is important. Adebayor>Cole obviously. Cole was never going to be in my team forever anyway.
This is where you are sorely mistaken, I used to think exactly the same as you did, until I realised.

Defenders (even the best ones) cost a LOT less than strikers on average.
Now assuming you pick your defenders from a team that is fairly solid (As in not Newcastle, and someone like the big four or Pompey last season) you will earn a lot of points, considering they get 6 points for 90 mins clean sheet without a booking, then they earn something like 6 points for a goal as well, defenders can really rack up points.

Last season I thought just like you, I remember at one point I had the like of Gerrard, Elano, Fabregas and Lampard in midfield, with two fairly expensive strikers (Tevez & Adebayor I believe) but a ***** defence, along with Robert Green in goal. Cue frustration as the my defence, conceded bucketloads every game leaving me with 1's and 2's.

However this season I have decided to go with all defenders from the top four, and despite the fact I've never had the money for a Torres, Adebayor or Rooney, I'm doing fairly well, so keep that in mind .

Lol I really think into EPL wayyy too much .
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just looked at your team, really unlucky to have such a bad week.

This is where you are sorely mistaken, I used to think exactly the same as you did, until I realised.

Now assuming you pick your defenders from a team that is fairly solid (As in not Newcastle, and someone like the big four or Pompey last season) you will earn a lot of points, considering they get 6 points for 90 mins clean sheet without a booking, then they earn something like 6 points for a goal as well, defenders can really rack up points.

Last season I thought just like you, I remember at one point I had the like of Gerrard, Elano, Fabregas and Lampard in midfield, with two fairly expensive strikers (Tevez & Adebayor I believe) but a ***** defence, along with Robert Green in goal. Cue frustration as the my defence, conceded bucketloads every game leaving me with 1's and 2's.

However this season I have decided to go with all defenders from the top four, and despite the fact I've never had the money for a Torres, Adebayor or Rooney, I'm doing fairly well, so keep that in mind .

I think going with an expensive/experience defense is a good way to make solid points over the course of a season. However, the mega points are moreso readily available for the strikers/midfield but this requires a big element of luck/guess work.
How often do you get a defender scoring 17 points like Robinho did this weekend?
Strikers probably more regularly hit 10+, but probably more often hit 1 or 2 points too...
Strikers are more likely to be subbed or rotated too imo.

Playing an expensive back 5 line + a good keeper seems a decent ploy but im not sure it would win any leagues?
Colesy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)
I think going with an expensive/experience defense is a good way to make solid points over the course of a season. However, the mega points are moreso readily available for the strikers/midfield but this requires a big element of luck/guess work.
How often do you get a defender scoring 17 points like Robinho did this weekend?
Strikers probably more regularly hit 10+, but probably more often hit 1 or 2 points too...

Playing an expensive back 5 line + a good keeper seems a decent ploy but im not sure it would win any leagues?
Lol I have a 'big four' back four AND Robson and it sent me top of the TSR league this week. :cool: Robson isn't insanely expensive as opposed to the likes of Torres, I'm sure there are 7-8 more expensive strikers than Robson.

I also have Ronaldo so it's not like you can't juggle the lot.

The point I'm making is don't pump all your money into your strikers and neglect your defence because you HAVE to have at least 3 defenders in there anyway, so you can make it a more likely 18, or you can get 6 if you're lucky.

And I never said anything about playing 5 defenders lol.

Also, unlike attacking players, defenders can score highly even if they're absolutely poor. If United lose Vidic and bring in Jonny Evans to replace him and then keep 5 clean sheets in a row with Evans playing, Evans at just 4.4m will claim all those points, on the other hand if Rooney gets injured, Tev comes in and does **** all, he's not gonna get **** even if United win 10-0 every game.

Do not underestimate the power of defence .

EDIT - BTW I don't think Tevez is poor, just saying that defenders can benefit from better players around them without a good performance while attackers can't.
GYinWL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

Yeah I'm not saying it's better to have a rubbish defence. I'm just saying it's better to have a good defence BUT only play three defenders.

I had VDS, Bosingwa, Laursen and Dawson last week. I would have got 6 points from Dawson if he played the whole match for Hull. I'll have enough money to swap him out for Traore/Arbeloa/Carra soon anyway.

Spoiler:
Show
Lol I have a 'big four' back four AND Robson and it sent me top of the TSR league this week. :cool: Robson isn't insanely expensive as opposed to the likes of Torres, I'm sure there are 7-8 more expensive strikers than Robson.

I also have Ronaldo so it's not like you can't juggle the lot.

The point I'm making is don't pump all your money into your strikers and neglect your defence because you HAVE to have at least 3 defenders in there anyway, so you can make it a more likely 18, or you can get 6 if you're lucky.

And I never said anything about playing 5 defenders lol.

Also, unlike attacking players, defenders can score highly even if they're absolutely poor. If United lose Vidic and bring in Jonny Evans to replace him and then keep 5 clean sheets in a row with Evans playing, Evans at just 4.4m will claim all those points, on the other hand if Rooney gets injured, Tev comes in and does **** all, he's not gonna get **** even if United win 10-0 every game.

Do not underestimate the power of defence .

EDIT - BTW I don't think Tevez is poor, just saying that defenders can benefit from better players around them without a good performance while attackers can't.
There's a flip side too. If you had Ferdinand in your team, and Vidic got injured and Evans replaced him. If Evans' inexperience showed and he let in a goal, there would have been hardly anything Ferdinand could have done to prevent himself losing out on the clean sheet. That's another reason why I think it's better to have 3 good defenders as opposed to having 4 good defenders. That way you will still get plenty of points from clean sheets plus the odd goal here and there, but it also reduces the risk of your defenders getting no clean sheet bonus due to the actions of his teammates. See what I mean?

The £6m or so you save from having only three defenders can go towards the extra striker. In my case, Adebayor. Add that to his striker partners of Defoe and Zaki, with Cesc, Lamps, Arteta and Ireland backing them up, and on paper it's a very decent team.

Of course the gameweek just gone by when I had Ronaldo in my team was also very good on paper, but it didn't turn out that way...
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)

That has got me 2nd in the tsr league for two seasons running, behind lfc4life and I'm 2nd currently. All combinations can win you the league, it is finding the right one.
Colesy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I'm not saying it's better to have a rubbish defence. I'm just saying it's better to have a good defence BUT only play three defenders.

I had VDS, Bosingwa, Laursen and Dawson last week. I would have got 6 points from Dawson if he played the whole match for Hull. I'll have enough money to swap him out for Traore/Arbeloa/Carra soon anyway.

Chill, I'm not criticizing your selection.

There's a flip side too. If you had Ferdinand in your team, and Vidic got injured and Evans replaced him. If Evans' inexperience showed and he let in a goal, there would have been hardly anything Ferdinand could have done to prevent himself losing out on the clean sheet. That's another reason why I think it's better to have 3 good defenders as opposed to having 4 good defenders. That way you will still get plenty of points from clean sheets plus the odd goal here and there, but it also reduces the risk of your defenders getting no clean sheet bonus due to the actions of his teammates. See what I mean?

That isn't what I mean, I wouldn't have Ferdinand in my team in the first place because he is the most expensive defender.. yet barring bonus points he isn't going to earn any more than the rest of the unit. The point I'm making is the cost is justifiable yet you're referring to the most expensive defender. I generally go for the cheapest defender in a team who is almost always a certainty to play (Evra in my case for United/Bosingwa at beginning of season etc.) and he will rarely be far behind Ferdinand in the rankings, maybe even higher due to his licence to go forward.

The £6m or so you save from having only three defenders can go towards the extra striker. In my case, Adebayor. Add that to his striker partners of Defoe and Zaki, with Cesc, Lamps, Arteta and Ireland backing them up, and on paper it's a very decent team.

I'm not denying your team on paper is very good, I just believe you could do EVEN better if you put a bit more into your defence, Villa are quite poor defensively, Laursen's goal ratio is what earned him most of his points, although those aren't flowing this season. He's similar to Lescott, but now Lescott isn't scoring he's earning **** all.

Of course the gameweek just gone by when I had Ronaldo in my team was also very good on paper, but it didn't turn out that way...
Like Ronaldo VII said, it's been very effective for him and he's done well consistently two years running. When I got to the end of last seasons game I had a look at the top ranked teams and my own and the huge difference is that their defences were better than mine, I had amazing teams on paper but that didn't get me to the top. I can guarentee you right now, come the end of the season, the top 100 will nearly if not all have an excellent points scoring team defensively. An easy way to look at it, is remember at the beginning of the season, barring Ronaldo (as his points total was head and shoulders above anybody else) the top scoring defenders were on par with the top scoring mids and strikers, yet their prices are cheaper. So not only could you have MORE defenders in your team than strikers, you could actually get the ones you wanted because they're more cost friendly.
GYinWL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Like Ronaldo VII said, it's been very effective for him and he's done well consistently two years running. When I got to the end of last seasons game I had a look at the top ranked teams and my own and the huge difference is that their defences were better than mine, I had amazing teams on paper but that didn't get me to the top. I can guarentee you right now, come the end of the season, the top 100 will nearly if not all have an excellent points scoring team defensively. An easy way to look at it, is remember at the beginning of the season, barring Ronaldo (as his points total was head and shoulders above anybody else) the top scoring defenders were on par with the top scoring mids and strikers, yet their prices are cheaper. So not only could you have MORE defenders in your team than strikers, you could actually get the ones you wanted because they're more cost friendly.
No, no I know you're not criticizing my selection, I'm just pointing out that I do have a half decent defence in place.

I still don't agree that top scoring defenders are on par with the top scoring midfielders and strikers though. Laursen was the top defender last year with 163 points, James was the top goalkeeper with 167 points. Adebayor/Torres were the top strikers with about 200 points each and Fabregas was one of the best midfielders with about 200 points as well. This shows that there is fairly big difference between the defensive players and the attacking players. Like you said, Ronaldo was even further ahead in terms of points!

I do see your point in combining all your defenders together could make them score well collectively though.

Anyway, if I swap Fabregas for Geovanni after this weeks matches, I would be able to have a formidable defence with Laursen, Carragher, Bosingwa and Turner, and I can rotate them so one sits out every week (most likely Turner).
Colesy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, no I know you're not criticizing my selection, I'm just pointing out that I do have a half decent defence in place.

I still don't agree that top scoring defenders are on par with the top scoring midfielders and strikers though. Laursen was the top defender last year with 163 points, James was the top goalkeeper with 167 points. Adebayor/Torres were the top strikers with about 200 points each and Fabregas was one of the best midfielders with about 200 points as well. This shows that there is fairly big difference between the defensive players and the attacking players. Like you said, Ronaldo was even further ahead in terms of points!

I do see your point in combining all your defenders together could make them score well collectively though.

Anyway, if I swap Fabregas for Geovanni after this weeks matches, I would be able to have a formidable defence with Laursen, Carragher, Bosingwa and Turner, and I can rotate them so one sits out every week (most likely Turner).
Actually I believe Lescott was with 196 it's not THAT far off 200 surely :p:.

Ronaldo is definately the exception and not the rule.

Gerrard/Fabregas/Adebayor all came in with around 200 yet cost much more than Lescott (Gerrard being around 11m if I remember).

For a Gerrard there was a Lescott that would have saved you nearly FIVE million. That could have been spread for even more of a better team.

What made you think Laursen? Even Ferdinand got more with 171 and he started at only 6.5m.

I think I remember James missing 2 or 3 games at the end of the season as well once Pompey were set for the season, he could have quite easily earned at least 173 points barring that.

See if you're gonna play 3, I'd get rid of one of Laursen or Turner, because Laursen and Villa simply aren't solid, and Turner.. Well if he comes out of his next 2 games with clean sheets come shoot me lol.
lfc4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I prefer a mix of defenders. Currently I have Reina as keeper, Bosingwa, Evra, A.Traore, Figueroa and Steinsson. The first three always play then 2 of the others aswell. Not too happy with steinsson, would prefer Garrido.

I'd be happy with that all season long. A.Traore is a great price, 4.5m for a portsmouth defender who are pretty solid.

It's the 5-5.9m range that isn't worth bothering with(excluding Agger) imo, but there is alot more bargains in defence to be had this year round. For example from the 5-5.9m range:

Man city defenders-Garrido better value at 4.3
Portsmouth-A.Traore/Belhadj better value
Blackburn/Newcastle/Everton/spurs/sunderland-not great defensively

One thing you have to remember though is even if the strikers and midfielders cost more-they are almost always better choices for captain, which is very important.
Colesy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lfc4life)
I prefer a mix of defenders. Currently I have Reina as keeper, Bosingwa, Evra, A.Traore, Figueroa and Steinsson. The first three always play then 2 of the others aswell. Not too happy with steinsson, would prefer Garrido.

I'd be happy with that all season long. A.Traore is a great price, 4.5m for a portsmouth defender who are pretty solid.

It's the 5-5.9m range that isn't worth bothering with(excluding Agger) imo, but there is alot more bargains in defence to be had this year round.

One thing you have to remember though is even if the strikers and midfielders cost more-they are almost always better choices for captain, which is very important.
That's a good way to put it. Although it's not like you won't have at least ONE good pick for captain, and the free transfer per week usually means you can bring in the player you want for El Capitano :cool:.

Traore is like the slightly worse (In FPL terms) version of Noe Pamarot last season lol.
GYinWL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Actually I believe Lescott was with 196 it's not THAT far off 200 surely :p:.

Ronaldo is definately the exception and not the rule.

Gerrard/Fabregas/Adebayor all came in with around 200 yet cost much more than Lescott (Gerrard being around 11m if I remember).

For a Gerrard there was a Lescott that would have saved you nearly FIVE million. That could have been spread for even more of a better team.

What made you think Laursen? Even Ferdinand got more with 171 and he started at only 6.5m.

I think I remember James missing 2 or 3 games at the end of the season as well once Pompey were set for the season, he could have quite easily earned at least 173 points barring that.

See if you're gonna play 3, I'd get rid of one of Laursen or Turner, because Laursen and Villa simply aren't solid, and Turner.. Well if he comes out of his next 2 games with clean sheets come shoot me lol.
Ah fair enough. Totally forgot about Lescott. Probably because he/Everton has been so rubbish this season!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.75%
No - but I will (13)
4.5%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (144)
49.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed