Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Roobsa)
“Nobody ***** with the Jesus.”
The Big Lebowski.

A big long speech here:

The question is, "Do I have a 'God Complex'? Which makes me wonder if this lawyer has any idea as to the kind of grades one has to receive in college to be accepted at a top medical school. Or if you have the vaguest clue as to how talented someone has to be to lead a surgical team. I have an M.D. from Harvard. I am board certified in cardiothoracic medicine and trauma surgery. I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England; and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you, when someone goes into that chapel and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their wife doesn't miscarry, or that their daughter doesn't bleed to death, or that their mother doesn't suffer acute neural trauma from postoperative shock, who do you think they're praying to? Now, you go ahead and read your Bible, Dennis, and you go to your church and with any luck you might win the annual raffle. But if you're looking for God, he was in operating room number two on November 17th, and he doesn't like to be second guessed.

You ask me if I have a God complex?

Let me tell you something:

I AM GOD.

The reason I went into medicine :ninja:
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
In terms of individual performance, yeah. He doesn't have the history of the Nicholsons or Hoffmans, so any debate will always be skewed against him, but I've never seen him give a bad performance, and he is one of only a handful of people who I would go to see in anything. He has an incredible range as well, few actors can handle such diversity of emotions in an entire career, let alone in a single film as he often does.

Whether he's the best or not is a very subjective thing. He's definitely up there though. And what's even more impressive is that he's a real actor's actor; he doesn't really self-publicise or showboat unnecessarily, he just turns out career best performances with every film. I think he's brilliant.
Give an example of a role where he exemplifies his talent for diversity of emotion? (so I can watch and analayse myself :yes:)

The problem for me may be that I haven't seen the majority of films where has has roles, and those I have tend to be those I don't remember because I was much younger. I need to see American Beauty and, possibly, K-PAX (if only because Dave is a man obsessed with it :erm:)

What's your opinion on Sean Harris, out of interest? He's definitely one of my favourite up-and-coming actors, alongside others I need to see more of before deciding (i.e Riz Ahmed)

Never let it be said that I take credit for others' actions. :p:
Of course not, Commissar. :wink2:

If it's the third film, you're not allowed to insult that too much, as it gave David Fincher his first directing break and made him the fantastic director he is today.
Not sure, it's the one involving the prison ship - that's currently on Channel Four.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thejonsmith)
Give an example of a role where he exemplifies his talent for diversity of emotion? (so I can watch and analayse myself :yes:)

The problem for me may be that I haven't seen the majority of films where has has roles, and those I have tend to be those I don't remember because I was much younger. I need to see American Beauty and, possibly, K-PAX (if only because Dave is a man obsessed with it :erm:)

What's your opinion on Sean Harris, out of interest? He's definitely one of my favourite up-and-coming actors, alongside others I need to see more of before deciding (i.e Riz Ahmed)
American Beauty is probably the best example, as he is in many different states throughout the entire film (Sight & Sound labelled him as 'sap and hero') and he doesn't put a foot wrong. Se7en is also a very good example, as he manages to play timid, cool and menacing perfectly and switches effortlessly. Try American Beauty, you'll be blown away by his performance. And bear in mind while you're watching it that the studio wanted a better known actor to play his role, namely Kevin Costner.

Sean Harris isn't someone I really know that much about, I need to see him in some more films before I make a judgement. I see he's going to be in Brighton Rock though, which should be interesting. Khalid Abdalla is one of my favourite breakthrough actors at the minute.

Not sure, it's the one involving the prison ship - that's currently on Channel Four.
Yep, that's the one that Fincher directs. The story behind that film is actually quite interesting (far more interesting than the film itself, tbh) - Fincher got brought in really late by the studio to be it's yes man off the back of a few music videos, and gave him the crazy task of making a film equal to the works of Scott and Cameron when there wasn't even a script ready for the film. They interfered throughout the entire filming, and then hacked his cut to bits to produce the film.

That's what makes him such a controlling nutter today, most likely. I was reading an article on The Social Network the other day. For one scene where all that happens is a character places business cards on a table, he did 48 takes. I love that guy.
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
American Beauty is probably the best example, as he is in many different states throughout the entire film (Sight & Sound labelled him as 'sap and hero') and he doesn't put a foot wrong. Se7en is also a very good example, as he manages to play timid, cool and menacing perfectly and switches effortlessly. Try American Beauty, you'll be blown away by his performance. And bear in mind while you're watching it that the studio wanted a better known actor to play his role, namely Kevin Costner.
I have no idea how I've managed to thus far avoid both American Beauty and Se7en, but I might rectify that over the weekend, as I'm moving back to halls and internet that doesn't move at a snail's pace tomorrow.

Ah, Kevin Costner. I've always found him a strange one - on the one hand, he lands roles in good films, yet on another, everyone seems to think of him as bland and personality-less. Likewise, every film he's in could've been done better by someone else, tbh. Field of Dreams might not have been a completely corny crock of **** with Christopher 'voice like a broken clock' Walken, for example. The Untouchables is perhaps the best example of how to **** up a leading role by casting the wrong person completely. :sigh:

Sean Harris isn't someone I really know that much about, I need to see him in some more films before I make a judgement. I see he's going to be in Brighton Rock though, which should be interesting. Khalid Abdalla is one of my favourite breakthrough actors at the minute.
The man plays the twisted, sadistic, psychopath in a very entertaining, realistic and enthralling way. As an example, there's his character in Outlaw or Creep, as well as a thug in Harry Brown. He's also someone I like all the more as he's a British actor. I've only seen Mr Abdalla in United 93 and Green Zone. In the former he only really got a chance to act for about 10-15 minutes of the film. He was excellent in Green Zone though.

Yep, that's the one that Fincher directs. The story behind that film is actually quite interesting (far more interesting than the film itself, tbh) - Fincher got brought in really late by the studio to be it's yes man off the back of a few music videos, and gave him the crazy task of making a film equal to the works of Scott and Cameron when there wasn't even a script ready for the film. They interfered throughout the entire filming, and then hacked his cut to bits to produce the film.

That's what makes him such a controlling nutter today, most likely. I was reading an article on The Social Network the other day. For one scene where all that happens is a character places business cards on a table, he did 48 takes. I love that guy.
Yeah, tbf. The film is particularly poor. It's one of the Poselthwaite associations with a series equals a crap film formulas, another being Jurassic Park 2. I met Poselthwaite near Tower Bridge though, and he does have good roles, so I like the guy. Off on a tangent...
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have no idea how I've managed to thus far avoid both American Beauty and Se7en, but I might rectify that over the weekend, as I'm moving back to halls and internet that doesn't move at a snail's pace tomorrow.
You've not seen Se7en either? :zomg: You need to watch these two films. They're brilliant.

Ah, Kevin Costner. I've always found him a strange one - on the one hand, he lands roles in good films, yet on another, everyone seems to think of him as bland and personality-less. Likewise, every film he's in could've been done better by someone else, tbh. Field of Dreams might not have been a completely corny crock of **** with Christopher 'voice like a broken clock' Walken, for example. The Untouchables is perhaps the best example of how to **** up a leading role by casting the wrong person completely. :sigh:
I don't think he's a terrible actor, just pretty soulless. Like you say, there's not many roles where I would think "this needs Costner!". And if he'd been cast in American Beauty the film would have been a shadow of what it is.

The man plays the twisted, sadistic, psychopath in a very entertaining, realistic and enthralling way. As an example, there's his character in Outlaw or Creep, as well as a thug in Harry Brown. He's also someone I like all the more as he's a British actor. I've only seen Mr Abdalla in United 93 and Green Zone. In the former he only really got a chance to act for about 10-15 minutes of the film. He was excellent in Green Zone though.
I'll have to check out those other films if you recommend them. :yy: I didn't really like Harry Brown, personally.

Abdalla's also good in The Kite Runner (although that film has acquired so much baggage now). I imagine now that Greengrass has thrusted him into the spotlight he will go on to some great things.
rofflewaffle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have no idea how I've managed to thus far avoid both American Beauty and Se7en, but I might rectify that over the weekend.
You must do this :unimpressed:.
Roobsa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is anyone a fan of horror films? I saw A Serbian Film (Srpski Film) the other day. It was beyond graphic. I had prepared myself for a pretty gorey movie, but this went further than what I had expected.
vitamortis
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
The Big Lebowski.

A big long speech here:

The question is, "Do I have a 'God Complex'? Which makes me wonder if this lawyer has any idea as to the kind of grades one has to receive in college to be accepted at a top medical school. Or if you have the vaguest clue as to how talented someone has to be to lead a surgical team. I have an M.D. from Harvard. I am board certified in cardiothoracic medicine and trauma surgery. I have been awarded citations from seven different medical boards in New England; and I am never, ever sick at sea. So I ask you, when someone goes into that chapel and they fall on their knees and they pray to God that their wife doesn't miscarry, or that their daughter doesn't bleed to death, or that their mother doesn't suffer acute neural trauma from postoperative shock, who do you think they're praying to? Now, you go ahead and read your Bible, Dennis, and you go to your church and with any luck you might win the annual raffle. But if you're looking for God, he was in operating room number two on November 17th, and he doesn't like to be second guessed.

You ask me if I have a God complex?

Let me tell you something:

I AM GOD.

The reason I went into medicine :ninja:
One of my favorite movie scenes. Malice.
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 8 years ago
I feel bad now. :teehee: I think you'll find I gave a pretty good defence of Snow White though. I can debate films well even in jest. :teeth:

Bambi is one of those kids films that everyone should have seen. You should try and watch it sometime (you can always pop on Die Hard afterwards to make you feel manly again :p:).
If only I had known you when I was 5.

On another note, have ever watched a foreign film? As in, the original language of the film wasn't English.
S-man10
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by vitamortis)
Took you long enough to find this place. Join the society, or GTFO.
vitamortis
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by S-man10)
Took you long enough to find this place. Join the society, or GTFO.
It is called being fashionably late. :yes:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by vitamortis)
Yep, fantastic speech. Your turn.

(Original post by S-man10)
If only I had known you when I was 5.

On another note, have ever watched a foreign film? As in, the original language of the film wasn't English.
I've missed out on quite a few children's films as well I think. I never saw Kes, and yet a lot of people rave about it. I used to be hooked on the Never Ending Stories though, even though they never made any sense at all!

Yeah, I've watched a few foreign language films. Mostly mainstream ones like Pan's Labyrinth, Inglourious Basterds and Battle Royale, although I have also watched a few lesser-know films like The White Ribbon and Waltz with Bashir. I had an aversion to them for quite a while (for no reason, like a lot of people really) so I've only really started watching them over the last couple of years. Why do you ask? Have you?
vitamortis
Report 8 years ago
OK, so my turn to quote. This is a very funny one, and from one of my favorite movies. It is simply astounding!

"Listen, why don't you relax. Why don't you take a pill, bake a cake, go read the encyclopedia."
francescarella
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just want/need you all to know that I am still alive and an active member; it's just i do not get internet access until 4th october. which is gasher than Jordan's clunge.
unknownking321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by francescarella)
I just want/need you all to know that I am still alive and an active member; it's just i do not get internet access until 4th october. which is gasher than Jordan's clunge.
I'm happy now.
frankfranklinin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.250films.net/list/
In case anyone wants to marvel at how film literate they are/ how much of their life they've wasted in front of a screen.

Also can anyone offer any guidance as to whether Once Upon a Time in America is worth the 229(!) minute runtime?
Seanisonfire
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I could join this...
Seanisonfire
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by frankfranklinin)
http://www.250films.net/list/
In case anyone wants to marvel at how film literate they are/ how much of their life they've wasted in front of a screen.

Also can anyone offer any guidance as to whether Once Upon a Time in America is worth the 229(!) minute runtime?
129/250....I'm not displeased.
unknownking321
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Has anyone watched HBO's film made for tv, You Don't Know Jack? :holmes: Two thumbs up from me. :borat:
S-man10
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Seanisonfire)
I could join this...
Please join. :puppyeyes:

Or GTFO!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.38%
No (480)
72.62%

Watched Threads