Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You are supposed to declare in interview whether you are still a firm candidate or not.How can you have had two job offers? Just interested as I am often interviewing for new teachers and have not come across this scenario before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imelda)
    How did you get on? Do you feel any better? I have to say I did sort of gasp out loud when I read your post about them calling the Uni! :0)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, no I feel worse actually!

I went into uni, I was told that the school is concerned I'm not looking after myself because there have been a couple of occasions where I've come into work and I smell?

That's not even true! I live with my partner who has a very strong sense of smell and would tell me if I didn't smell clean. She says nothing when I kiss her goodbye in the mornings and nothing when I come home! I sat in university and was told "well I'm right next to you and I can tell you now that you don't smell at the minute". I shower every day and use deodorant and my clothes are clean. I'd love to know how I could smell bad.

The school said nothing to me about it, absolutely nothing, just went straight to uni to moan about it. Anyway, I talked with uni about how hard I'm finding things and they suggested I stay home for the rest of the week and rest during half term.

I'm really mad about how unprofessional the school has been, especially to say things that aren't true, but even if they were - to say them behind my back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumzi)
    You are supposed to declare in interview whether you are still a firm candidate or not.How can you have had two job offers? Just interested as I am often interviewing for new teachers and have not come across this scenario before.
    Hey,

I think it's just because it's so late in the season, schools are getting a bit panicked and rushing things.

I applied for a job on Monday, and on Wednesday I received the invitation to interview for yesterday.

At the same time, my university tutor was contacted about another post (which had been advertised a few weeks ago but none of the candidates were suitable) and gave me the deputy head's number so I could have a chat. We ended up arranging for me to pop in for an informal interview in the afternoon, after I'd been for interview at the other school.

So I had the 2nd interview straight after the 1st one, before I'd heard back from the 1st one. The 2nd school was fully aware I'd had another interview (and even said I should answer my phone if it rang during the interview because they knew it was important).

Later that evening, the 2nd school said they'd like to offer me the job, and I said I felt it was only fair to hear what the 1st school had to say, since they'd interviewed me 1st and I'd told them I was a firm candidate (2nd school said that was fine and the right thing to do). 1st school then called, offered me the job, and I accepted.

2nd school didn't seem put out, as they'd always known there was the potential for that to happen, and have offered the job to someone else from my course.

Hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Darcie*)
    Congratulations. Can I just ask, how did you end up getting two offers at the same time? Were the interviews on the same day? When you got asked the 'are you a firm candidate' question did you tell both that you may also be in the running for another job? Just curious as I could find myself in the same position tomorrow. Probably wishful thinking mind!
    Just explained above before seeing your post, but quoting so you see this.

1st school didn't know about 2nd interview, but 2nd school knew about 1st one.

I really didn't expect to get job offer from the 2nd interview on the day anyway, as it was an informal chat with a couple of SLT, I didn't have to teach a lesson, I'd not filled out an application form, etc. Figured at best they'd invite me back after half term to do a proper interview and it would be back-up if I didn't get the 1st job. But I think they were in a rush to get it sorted before half term and were happy with me from the interview, so went ahead and offered it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Hey,

I think it's just because it's so late in the season, schools are getting a bit panicked and rushing things.

I applied for a job on Monday, and on Wednesday I received the invitation to interview for yesterday.

At the same time, my university tutor was contacted about another post (which had been advertised a few weeks ago but none of the candidates were suitable) and gave me the deputy head's number so I could have a chat. We ended up arranging for me to pop in for an informal interview in the afternoon, after I'd been for interview at the other school.

So I had the 2nd interview straight after the 1st one, before I'd heard back from the 1st one. The 2nd school was fully aware I'd had another interview (and even said I should answer my phone if it rang during the interview because they knew it was important).

Later that evening, the 2nd school said they'd like to offer me the job, and I said I felt it was only fair to hear what the 1st school had to say, since they'd interviewed me 1st and I'd told them I was a firm candidate (2nd school said that was fine and the right thing to do). 1st school then called, offered me the job, and I accepted.

2nd school didn't seem put out, as they'd always known there was the potential for that to happen, and have offered the job to someone else from my course.

Hope that makes sense!
    yes that makes sense....you certainly ad a very busy day!

congratulations on your job offer too.

All the best for your NQT year,exciting times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Hey, no I feel worse actually!

I went into uni, I was told that the school is concerned I'm not looking after myself because there have been a couple of occasions where I've come into work and I smell?

That's not even true! I live with my partner who has a very strong sense of smell and would tell me if I didn't smell clean. She says nothing when I kiss her goodbye in the mornings and nothing when I come home! I sat in university and was told "well I'm right next to you and I can tell you now that you don't smell at the minute". I shower every day and use deodorant and my clothes are clean. I'd love to know how I could smell bad.

The school said nothing to me about it, absolutely nothing, just went straight to uni to moan about it. Anyway, I talked with uni about how hard I'm finding things and they suggested I stay home for the rest of the week and rest during half term.

I'm really mad about how unprofessional the school has been, especially to say things that aren't true, but even if they were - to say them behind my back.
    Ok, that's not what I would have expected at all! If they'd said you seem tired, appear to be doing too much paperwork, working too late at school etc then fair enough... But if you shower every day it's clear you don't smell, and even if you did I wouldn't say it's an indicator you're working too hard, it would be a non-professional issue which whoever noticed should bring up with you sensitively.

I guess just try and take it in your stride and keep working through the last bit. What age/subject are you again?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myrtille)
    Just explained above before seeing your post, but quoting so you see this.

1st school didn't know about 2nd interview, but 2nd school knew about 1st one.

I really didn't expect to get job offer from the 2nd interview on the day anyway, as it was an informal chat with a couple of SLT, I didn't have to teach a lesson, I'd not filled out an application form, etc. Figured at best they'd invite me back after half term to do a proper interview and it would be back-up if I didn't get the 1st job. But I think they were in a rush to get it sorted before half term and were happy with me from the interview, so went ahead and offered it.
    Right, thankyou. Makes perfect sense now. What a lovely position to have been in, well done.

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo, secured my first job on Friday in Lincolnshire, so happy, geography with a small amount of history thrown in (eep), so happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    Woohoo, secured my first job on Friday in Lincolnshire, so happy, geography with a small amount of history thrown in (eep), so happy!
    Congratulations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robo donkey)
    Congratulations!

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! Feel a bit late to this thread but I'm doing a Secondary Maths PGCE at the moment. I've finished my SE2 placement so really looking forward to the 3 weeks at uni, even if there is lots of work still to be done...

ReputationRep:
    Aghhh, my life is really trying to stop me from getting through this course!

As if I wasn't annoyed enough with how and why my school contacted my uni, I was off sick for 2 days of placement before half term then had a few days of family arrangements. The day I set aside to make a massive dent in my planning, my relationship of over 2 years goes tits up and I have to move out of my flat! How am I meant to finish this placement when I hate it/I'm dying/everyone and everything hates me???

ReputationRep:

As if I wasn't annoyed enough with how and why my school contacted my uni, I was off sick for 2 days of placement before half term then had a few days of family arrangements. The day I set aside to make a massive dent in my planning, my relationship of over 2 years goes tits up and I have to move out of my flat! How am I meant to finish this placement when I hate it/I'm dying/everyone and everything hates me???
    Keep thinking that you WILL get through it! You are so close to completing the course and are still there even with everything else that is going on.

I always find drinking some wine with friends whilst watching 'Working Girl' helps....

Keep your chin up! :0)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Just keep thinking before and after... The reasons you wanted to go in to teaching before, and the school you'll be working for in the future... Where they share your ethos, you're all friends and you spend every day helping children have a better life and have fun! Motivate yourself, and remember how close you are to getting there.

And make sure you eat, rest etc.

Xxx

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You are having a really crap time but you must carry on. Forget what people at school etc think, you will be out of there in a matter of weeks and you will have your life back. Get yourself well and plough on.

ReputationRep:
    Got knocked down from a good to a satisfactory, with threats to put me onto cause for concern, because there were 3 pages missing from one of my folders and I panicked and said I'd left them in my flat instead of actually calming down and finding them :facepalm:

Not impressed, though, with the way I told my tutor about my current situation and all she said was that it sounds like I am making excuses. 19 working days left, just 19 working days...

ReputationRep:
    Got knocked down from a good to a satisfactory, with threats to put me onto cause for concern, because there were 3 pages missing from one of my folders and I panicked and said I'd left them in my flat instead of actually calming down and finding them :facepalm:

Not impressed, though, with the way I told my tutor about my current situation and all she said was that it sounds like I am making excuses. 19 working days left, just 19 working days...
    Whaaat?

Your university sounds ridiculously harsh. We had our folders checked last week, just to check we're all heading in the right direction for when they get formally assessed in a fortnight, and we were just told to write a list of what is missing so that they know that we know what work we still have to do. And a judgement on your teaching surely shouldn't be based on what's in your folder before the end of the course.

You're in a tough situation at the moment and it sounds like your school and university aren't helping matters at all, but keep doing what you're doing, just grit your teeth and count the days.

ReputationRep:

I really feel for you.

My six year relationship ended during the third week of my final placement. I thought I was coping ok until it hit me all of a sudden after a particularly tough Friday.

I suggest keeping a strong support group around you, and talk about things. Be honest with the school too. I didn't, and wasn't. I bottled it all up, which I think was my biggest mistake.

Although it doesn't sound like your school are particularly helpful either.

Come on here though to talk to us, we'll help you.

ReputationRep:
    anyone starting this September ?
    is it really bad as they say and initially how many lessons are we required to teach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgce2013)
    anyone starting this September ?
    is it really bad as they say and initially how many lessons are we required to teach
    You build up gradually. My uni stated between 9-11 hours a week. Many say more, 16 or 17 but that would be well into placement 2.

It is the hardest thing I have ever done, yes, but it's been great too. You progress so much l.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.