Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    He's a great player, I never said otherwise, did I? I would say that his antics are worse than most, actually.
    Since the Inter scenario (which even I admit was super c*ntish), how many times have you seen him play acting? He's grown up alot since then mate, he's been stellar since he boarded the plane to South Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatthedirac)
    Since the Inter scenario, how many times have you seen him play acting? He's grown up alot since then mate, he's been stellar since he boarded the plane to South Africa.
    :rofl2: No he's not.

ReputationRep:
    Since the Inter scenario (which even I admit was super c*ntish), how many times have you seen him play acting? He's grown up alot since then mate, he's been stellar since he boarded the plane to South Africa.
    Admittedly I haven't seen any Barca matches in the last couple of months, so it could be true that he's matured. I hope he has. He was ridiculous last season though.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't know why Busquets makes the Barca/Sapin first team on a regular basis. It really escapes me, but then again, that's why I'm not a manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    I still don't know why Busquets makes the Barca/Sapin first team on a regular basis. It really escapes me, but then again, that's why I'm not a manager.
    I think he suits Barca more than Mascherano, but for Spain I would personally have Cesc-Alonso-Xavi in centre mid and put Iniesta on the left.

ReputationRep:
    I think he suits Barca more than Mascherano, but for Spain I would personally have Cesc-Alonso-Xavi in centre mid and put Iniesta on the left.
    I don't know what he does. Maybe he's just a route from Point A to B that Barca needs or something. No idea.

ReputationRep:
    I think we need to wind up the Barca players during that match. Do the stuff Stoke-style
    Seriously....the psychological aspect is going to be an important factor.... wind them up...and play football in whatever time remaining

ReputationRep:
    Busquets is quality. Like Milkytea said before, the Barca and Spanish national side's footballing philosophy is pretty similar atm, quick movement, intelligent passing and a heavy influence placed on attack. Busquets is great at breaking up the play - as any DM needs to be, but his passing ability for someone in that position is sublime. His presence allows both sides to have an extra body in the fluid motion of their passing movement as they press forward, but his defensive capabilities mean he's also available to drop as far back as a CB if needed defensively. Highly underrated player, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    One way to beat Barca is to press high up the pitch and be incisive on the break. You have to be solid defensively and have the right balance in midfield to have any chance. Inter managed to pull it off but, tbf, I think the 14-hour coach trip Barca had to make because of the Volcanic Ash did maybe have an impact. I think they'll be harder to beat this year because they're a lot more fluent with David Villa in the side. But they are not unbeatable, their away record in the CL isn't that impressive. To have any chance of beating them you have to finish them off at The Emirates. I think that'll be very difficult without your best defender - Sagna.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with RobbieC's assessment of our chances. It's sure as hell not likely we'll win but if we keep this XI fit, we should have a good chance of winning at home. The problem is we're going to get battered away no matter what team we put out so the win at home has to be fairly comfortable, which is where the 'unlikeliness' comes in.

We should be much better than last year. But, as I keep saying, it depends on whether we can field the same XI that we are now. As for how we should approach the game -- even our cripplied squad last year was a stronger and fitter side. We should be looking to over-power them, but the trouble is that European refs won't allow it so our players have to be smart about it. Cesc is probably capable of it, but Song's 'trailing leg' rubbish is an automatic yellow.

I don't approve of any game plan relying on Theo because...well, he ****s himself in front of goal when there's another player screaming for it. He nearly ****'d it up in the second leg last year when he passed to Bendtner, and he did **** it up with the pass to Cesc yesterday. One thing that could work would be for our players not to follow up and so Theo would have to shoot.

We won't know which players will be available so thoughts of tactics should be a long way away, BUT since we're at it, I'd get Nasri to man the **** up and practice shooting more often because he has got a ridiculously powerful shot which he chooses not to use often. I would turn Nasri into our 'Ronaldo' and tell him to try to keep on taking on the Barca right-side, cutting in and shooting. Our usual tactic of slowly working it towards the opposition box won't work, I think, because Barca are superb at pressing, but Nasri has that ability to beat players very easily which for some reason he doesn't do often enough. Arsene should give him instructions to be a selfish prick, then tell the players to get the ball to him at every opportunity, and watch Nasri go mental. True story.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, nah, **** it, hoof to Theo is the way forward. His under-hit cutbacks should buy a few penalties and red cards too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****, Eboue at right back. He's hardly going to try.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****, Eboue at right back. He's hardly going to try.
    I don't get why people are worried about Eboue playing. It's like people haven't seen him play. When is the last time you've seen him get skinned over and over again like Clichy? That doesn't happen to him. The problem with him is that he's a ****in' idiot with the ball. He's just a complete liability that tries to do stupid things which never work. But since we're playing Barcelona, we're not going to have the ball anyway...so no worries.

:unsure:

ReputationRep:

Busquets is amazing seriously. When he came on the scene, he tried doing too many things at once, he wanted to try and dribble like iniesta, slide in like Puyol, and pass like Xavi. He got caught in possession so many times. You could see the talent, but I got frustrated at Pep constantly picking him over Toure last season. However, as soon as he went to S.A, he was untouchable. Every game he played for Spain he was super consistent, be played that withdrawn midfield 2 with Alonso so well.

He may not have the energy of Mascherano, but he has the an amazing ability to break up play, and he holds the ball up very well. His passing is amazing, had he can dribble well too. He's an all round midfielder, and himself and Pedro are the injection of young La Masia blood into this Barca team that will ensure they can stay hungry and continue winning. He's also that player ever rival team LOVES to hate, he winds up the opposition, he's just a brilliant footballer. The best DMF on the planet this season imo. (although recently his decision making has been a bit sketchy, last night he held onto the ball at bad times, but I'm sure he'll pull himself together for the visit to the Emirates in a few weeks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I don't get why people are worried about Eboue playing. It's like people haven't seen him play. When is the last time you've seen him get skinned over and over again like Clichy? That doesn't happen to him. The problem with him is that he's a ****in' idiot with the ball. He's just a complete liability that tries to do stupid things which never work. But since we're playing Barcelona, we're not going to have the ball anyway...so no worries.

:unsure:
    Good point, well made, actually.

Busquets is amazing seriously. When he came on the scene, he tried doing too many things at once, he wanted to try and dribble like iniesta, slide in like Puyol, and pass like Xavi. He got caught in possession so many times. You could see the talent, but I got frustrated at Pep constantly picking him over Toure last season. However, as soon as he went to S.A, he was untouchable. Every game he played for Spain he was super consistent, be played that withdrawn midfield 2 with Alonso so well.

He may not have the energy of Mascherano, but he has the an amazing ability to break up play, and he holds the ball up very well. His passing is amazing, had he can dribble well too. He's an all round midfielder, and himself and Pedro are the injection of young La Masia blood into this Barca team that will ensure they can stay hungry and continue winning. He's also that player ever rival team LOVES to hate, he winds up the opposition, he's just a brilliant footballer. The best DMF on the planet this season imo. (although recently his decision making has been a bit sketchy, last night he held onto the ball at bad times, but I'm sure he'll pull himself together for the visit to the Emirates in a few weeks)
    Yeah, I just never paid attention to him. I thought he would be another Geovani Dos Santos or whatever.

ReputationRep:

What the hell? Arsh + Bender

ReputationRep:
    Wilshere, Gibbs and Song with a bunch of retards. We always have been a club that likes helping out with community work.

ReputationRep:
    Soccerbible.com :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blame)
    I remember they where calling it an elbow injury on his last game - although he appeared fine throughout the game.
    Wenger should just be honest, i can imagine what Holloway would be like "Yeah he's been dropped, don't bother asking why, you know he's ****"
    And this is why I love Ian Holloway. Says what's on his mind none of this 'let's protect zee players feelings' rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    We need to attack. It really is that simple, if we try to absorb their pressure, put it this way far better defences than ours have got destroyed trying to play that tactic. Our first XI has a shot, not a good shot but a shot nonetheless. Nasri needs to step up for the game, Cesc needs to be his normal WUMing self, RVP needs to keep his form going, and everyone else needs to shoot on sight! I would prefer if Scezney is in goal. I don't mind Eboue being on the right as long as he defends rather than tries to do a Song. Speaking of song, he's the one player who needs to concentrate throughout. He could very easily get himself sent off, or caught out by the movement of Iniesta,Xavi, Messi ect.

Question for everyone, if you could borrow one player from a different club just for the barca matches, who would you take?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.