The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

i've got a question, i'm going to study optometry in sing, which one is better, ngee ann poly or sing poly?
tootallie
Hello! :biggrin: I'll be going to Durham to read BA Geography this oct!!

hey! were you by chance one of the moe scholars at the durham booth during the fair? i was asking questions before you and your friends came lol. which college will you be heading to?
Reply 2122
Just asking those who did Alevels last year. Do you have to send your results in on 19th of August? esp if we missed our grades? I sent it to the school immediately upon receiving it. But its been...awhile since I had any correspondence with them. Not too sure if its the case with other international applicants as well. Cheerios
mightyjingyi
hey! were you by chance one of the moe scholars at the durham booth during the fair? i was asking questions before you and your friends came lol. which college will you be heading to?

Hello!!!! Yes I am! To read um, Geography haha. Will be going to Trevelyan!

The other two are reading
1. History, Hatfield
2. E.Lit, Van Mildert

& Yourself? =D
tootallie
Hello!!!! Yes I am! To read um, Geography haha. Will be going to Trevelyan!

The other two are reading
1. History, Hatfield
2. E.Lit, Van Mildert

& Yourself? =D

oh wow that's great (: i was looking at the courses our local seniors are in and most of them are in law, so i thought it'll just be me in social sci. so glad that you guys are around!! :biggrin:

i'm taking archaeology and anth, will be at st cuthbert's (:

they said that they are planning a pre-departure gathering before we leave right? haven't heard from them lol hopefully we'll get to meet before we leave :biggrin:
mightyjingyi
oh wow that's great (: i was looking at the courses our local seniors are in and most of them are in law, so i thought it'll just be me in social sci. so glad that you guys are around!! :biggrin:

i'm taking archaeology and anth, will be at st cuthbert's (:

they said that they are planning a pre-departure gathering before we leave right? haven't heard from them lol hopefully we'll get to meet before we leave :biggrin:

Agreed 80-90% of SGreans who go there do Law! After abit of chit-chat I get the impression that we're likely to end up being familiar with some legal stuff even though we don't do it (Bonus for us eh :wink: haha

Yeah I think I remembered seeing your name on the list! Went :eek3: at Archaeo & Anthro like Cool TTM or what?! I flipped thru the prospectus & saw the skeleton dig-ups, pretty awesome. (Almost as, Geography hehe, universe-lovin' as always)

There's a BBQ tentatively on the 21st August so I've heard!
BE THERE :biggrin:
tootallie
Agreed 80-90% of SGreans who go there do Law! After abit of chit-chat I get the impression that we're likely to end up being familiar with some legal stuff even though we don't do it (Bonus for us eh :wink: haha

hahah that's what my mum said! she was like "go be good friends with them so next time if you end up in any legal trouble, you'll have help!" hahah!

yep i just received their email about the gathering. see you there :biggrin:
Reply 2127
Chad Storm
Which airlines r u guys flying on, to the UK?
STA Travels delivered a good talk at Suntec the other day.
but their website travel functions appears faulty.
Darn!

BA for me! Costs about S$1400+ two ways. It's from Sg to Heathrow to Aberdeen though! :biggrin:
hey octopus, you got a return ticket? with an open date return is it?
Reply 2129
Chad Storm
Which airlines r u guys flying on, to the UK?
STA Travels delivered a good talk at Suntec the other day.
but their website travel functions appears faulty.
Darn!

Emirates. 1.4k for return, booked through the Emirates website.

SIN - DXB - LHR
Hope everybody is enjoying their national day!
Reply 2131
Isaacchan
hey octopus, you got a return ticket? with an open date return is it?

Isaac! Haha. Yeap open date tic. I booked in june, and the latest date i can get for the return tic is max 1 year from the day i booked. Gotta pay another 70++ (or maybe 50? :confused: ) if i wanna change the dates next time. :s-smilie:
did you guys book from STA travel? I heard it's cheaper...also, i heard air tix are cheaper in Britain so I was thinking of oneway-ing next yr and buy my return tix in England... what do the guys who are already in UK think?

another random qn: do prepaids in england come with data plans?(i take it that we can't sign monthly plans) cuz i'm planning to get an iphone :p:
Reply 2133
Isaacchan
did you guys book from STA travel? I heard it's cheaper...also, i heard air tix are cheaper in Britain so I was thinking of oneway-ing next yr and buy my return tix in England... what do the guys who are already in UK think?

another random qn: do prepaids in england come with data plans?(i take it that we can't sign monthly plans) cuz i'm planning to get an iphone :p:

are you talking about SQ? its still more expensive if you calculate 2 single trips (1 to go there, 1 to return when you graduate) and 2 return trips (LHR - SIN - LHR).

and why cant you sign up monthly plans? there are 30day rolling contracts available in UK for almost every major telcos, not like Singapore's 2 year contract and such.
Im actually talking about STA Travel, it's a student airfare/travel discount store which has 2 branches, one in bugis and the other in nus science fac. I actually emailed them for a quote and it was 650+ inclusive for 1 way to London. Not sure if airfares are cheaper than Singapore there, but in a post above, Narev was speaking of 450 pound return tix? :eek:

I heard we can't sign contracts cuz our credit history in britain is not long enough. may be wrong abt that though.
Reply 2135
Isaacchan
Im actually talking about STA Travel, it's a student airfare/travel discount store which has 2 branches, one in bugis and the other in nus science fac. I actually emailed them for a quote and it was 650+ inclusive for 1 way to London. Not sure if airfares are cheaper than Singapore there, but in a post above, Narev was speaking of 450 pound return tix? :eek:

I heard we can't sign contracts cuz our credit history in britain is not long enough. may be wrong abt that though.

regarding handphone contracts, what I heard was as long as you have a bank account set up, it should be good.

Hmm, not sure about the flights though. I didn't really check STA travel. I just went ahead with emirates through their website, cause their normal fare had 30kg baggage allowance, instead of the usual 20kg or 23kg on BA/Qantas. And after 2 return flights to London, you already clock enough mileage to be upgraded to the next class of flyer miles membership.
which airline is STA offering to students bound for the UK?
dear chad,

it's Emirates/Etihad and Qatar airways for the cheapest fares. (+30KG baggage allowance.

this is the email STA travel replied me:

"Hi XXX,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Based on the date 16 Sept, the best one-way ticket to London is priced from $671 including taxes on Emirates. Taxes are subject to change and seats are subject to availability. A one-way flight to Manchester is priced from $788 including taxes on Emirates. So, flying to London is cheaper.

As this is a student airfare you will need an ISIC card. If you don't have one then you can buy one from STA Travel for $15.

If you have any further enquiries about the airfare or would like to make a booking, feel free to contact us."

yup. gi, you might have gotten a (slightly) better deal (1.2k?) with STA travel....

or...you could go with Malaysia Airlines (5 star airline) with $700 one way.

SQ is just wayyyy too expensive.

p.s. i'm only going next yr. I just like to find out pricing of airfares and airlines and stuff like that. it's a personal hobby to surf travel websites. on SAF time of course. (just like how i'm posting this during office hours.) :p: :p: :p:
Reply 2138
Isaacchan
dear chad,

it's Emirates/Etihad and Qatar airways for the cheapest fares. (+30KG baggage allowance.

this is the email STA travel replied me:

"Hi XXX,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Based on the date 16 Sept, the best one-way ticket to London is priced from $671 including taxes on Emirates. Taxes are subject to change and seats are subject to availability. A one-way flight to Manchester is priced from $788 including taxes on Emirates. So, flying to London is cheaper.

As this is a student airfare you will need an ISIC card. If you don't have one then you can buy one from STA Travel for $15.

If you have any further enquiries about the airfare or would like to make a booking, feel free to contact us."

yup. gi, you might have gotten a (slightly) better deal (1.2k?) with STA travel....

or...you could go with Malaysia Airlines (5 star airline) with $700 one way.

SQ is just wayyyy too expensive.

p.s. i'm only going next yr. I just like to find out pricing of airfares and airlines and stuff like that. it's a personal hobby to surf travel websites. on SAF time of course. (just like how i'm posting this during office hours.) :p: :p: :p:

ohh the ISIC card, maybe that was why i didnt pursue the STA Travel route. I remember i had some purple pamphlet from them during the pre-dep briefing last year.

and by the way if TSR had a 'like' button just like fb. i would have definitely 'like'd your postscript. hahaha.
gi.
ohh the ISIC card, maybe that was why i didnt pursue the STA Travel route. I remember i had some purple pamphlet from them during the pre-dep briefing last year.

and by the way if TSR had a 'like' button just like fb. i would have definitely 'like'd your postscript. hahaha.

2 months and 28 days to ORD excluding offs, leaves and MCs...

Quick Reply

Latest