Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate_louise21)
    Do the universities only look at your personal statement and experience etc again if you have narrowly missed your offer ? Or do they look at this regardless before making a decision for every applicant ?
    If you get the grades for your offer then they will automatically accept you. If you missed them by a grade they will look at things like PS and some check the grades to see how many marks you may have missed by.

Edit may be different for OXBRIDGE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdoo)
    If you get the grades for your offer then they will automatically accept you. If you missed them by a grade they will look at things like PS and some check the grades to see how many marks you may have missed by.

Edit may be different for OXBRIDGE?
    so it is not there procedure to check each applicants personal statement on making an offer?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

This might sound like an obvious thing to suggest but make sure you know what your personal ID and password is. The last thing you want on Thursday morning is to be resetting your password because you can't remember it.

Hope everyone gets in to the uni of their choice doing the course of their choice.

ReputationRep:
    Do the universities only look at your personal statement and experience etc again if you have narrowly missed your offer ? Or do they look at this regardless before making a decision for every applicant ?
    They would not look at this regardless for every applicant. They looked at your PS and predicted grades etc and made an offer. If you meet your offer there is no further need for any review. The have to give you a place.

If you narrowly miss they probably would look at your PS, and maybe your GCSE performance etc to make accept you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needtosucceed=))
    you've applied for pharmacy? whats ur firm and insurance?

haha i'm applying next year - planning to putting Kings College London as my firm and Reading/LJMU as insurance if AS results go my way

ReputationRep:
    I've been idly peeking at this thread for a while now, though the butterflies have been around for a while. Good luck everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so it is not there procedure to check each applicants personal statement on making an offer?
    Offer wise I think OXBRIDGE and the most prestigious like Durham will look at other things as well because so many apply with the same academic qualities and grades so they need to look at the students and how different and unique they are.

Then most other universities will give you an offer if you have the required grades. If you apply late, or they are really over subscribed or have students with grades which narrowly miss the offer they will then look at different things such as PS.

But every uni has different ways in which they go about giving offers. However, some unis probably will look at every factor before giving an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HPAG)
    They would not look at this regardless for every applicant. They looked at your PS and predicted grades etc and made an offer. If you meet your offer there is no further need for any review. The have to give you a place.

If you narrowly miss they probably would look at your PS, and maybe your GCSE performance etc to make accept you.
    Oh dear Im even more nervous now I assumed they would just go through everything about you again before making an offer despite what grades you got unless they were truly terrible. My offer is BBB but ive got a funny feeling itll be something like BBD and i guess thats not at all narrowly missing the offer. I was rely relying on my experience on the course i was going to take really being my life saver if i did end up with one bad grade

ReputationRep:
    can't stop thinking about results day now.work was so boring! it's a matter of 5,4,3,2,1 and boom life's changed

ReputationRep:
    Offer wise I think OXBRIDGE and the most prestigious like Durham will look at other things as well because so many apply with the same academic qualities and grades so they need to look at the students and how different and unique they are.

Then most other universities will give you an offer if you have the required grades. If you apply late, or they are really over subscribed or have students with grades which narrowly miss the offer they will then look at different things such as PS.

But every uni has different ways in which they go about giving offers. However, some unis probably will look at every factor before giving an offer.
    What is it with you and writing Oxbridge in block capitals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    It exceeds the mere status of a "proper noun" :shakecane:

(sarcasm btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    I don't know maybe because they are brilliant unis that I will never get into

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiapal)
    i actually feel physically sick
    You're not alone. Well actually I've calmed down a bit compared to a couple of days ago - maybe I've already had my breakdown

ReputationRep:
    I've reached the point where I am completely emotionless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needtosucceed=))
    took that quote from the thread you gave a link for

how comes u didnt watch many of them?
    Haha, I know, I didn't actually have that much time to watch them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venenecinema)
    You're not alone. Well actually I've calmed down a bit compared to a couple of days ago - maybe I've already had my breakdown
    Oh just wait you had a breakdown stage (like me) a now I'll be fine stage and when it is 2 days we'll all be like parents if you speak to me you may see a part of me which should never be seen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesTheCool)
    So many pompous privileged oiks oinking and oinking over their multitude of A*s, which is actually the result of coming from a pathetically insecure middle class family and having over-zealous parents rather than being a superior walk of life and making everyone else feel like worthless scum.
    Umad?

Oh, umad alright.

Name:  350x700px-LL-ea4fc166_maximum-over-rustle-jimmies-shaking-13537619370.gif
Views: 436
Size:  158.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesTheCool)
    So many pompous privileged oiks oinking and oinking over their multitude of A*s, which is actually the result of coming from a pathetically insecure middle class family and having over-zealous parents rather than being a superior walk of life and making everyone else feel like worthless scum.
    Why are you so annoyed? Did somebody fail their A-Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Oh just wait you had a breakdown stage (like me) a now I'll be fine stage and when it is 2 days we'll all be like parents if you speak to me you may see a part of me which should never be seen
    Yeah crazy mood swings are pretty much exactly what is happening

ReputationRep:
    I have a nose bleed hope it isn't a bad sign

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.