Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Only noticed just now, but Eboue has won a trophy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Whenever Wenger has had time to rebuild his teams without players leaving he's generally produced a title bid. After Henry left he got us to within 4 points of a title shortly afterwards, and that team came from nowhere really and surprised everyone. When he gutted Toure/Adebayore/Gallas/Hleb, he got probably the best team in the league together the next year and could easily have won the league. So wouldnt underestimate how much Wenger is capable of improving seemingly average sides given peace. I dont think well win the League in 2014, but if Wenger actually spent some of the money as well then we wouldnt be far away at all.

City/Utd/Chelsea are much much more unpredictable than Arsenal looking forward.
    Agree here. But I doubt you'll get above 80 points next season, probably a 75 point season which won't be enough to win the league. I can easily see united, city and chelsea getting 80-90 points next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Agree here. But I doubt you'll get above 80 points next season, probably a 75 point season which won't be enough to win the league. I can easily see united, city and chelsea getting 80-90 points next year.
    stranger things have happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    I don't believe this post. We keep banging on about not winning trophies but we can't even place ourselves above 3rd before the season has started or even the transfer window has opened! If we as fans don't have belief in the team then don't expect the players to go out and believe in themselves to get some silverware
    I'm not an arsenal fan...
    Plus I'm just being objective and realistic, I didn't think my team would win the CL or the PL this year because I know how good my team actually is. We'll see in the transfer window I guess though if wenger can get 2-3 quality signings who fit the bill with the squads problems regardless of money spent then I'll change my mind, but even with jovetic it's not enough imo.

ReputationRep:
    stranger things have happened.
    Can't argue with that. Ipswich town coming above chelsea in 2000 and QPR. Lets not forget nottingham forest under clough.

We'll see, I guess it's premature to think about this though. But I'm just assuming all the targets are met and we all buy the required players. Maybe you might get a cash injection and buy messi we never know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an arsenal fan...
    Plus I'm just being objective and realistic, I didn't think my team would win the CL or the PL this year because I know how good my team actually is. We'll see in the transfer window I guess though if wenger can get 2-3 quality signings who fit the bill with the squads problems regardless of money spent then I'll change my mind, but even with jovetic it's not enough imo.
    Fair enough I jumped the gun and assumed you were an Arsenal fan. Its hard to look at the team you support objectively but looking around the teams above and just below us, I have high hopes for next season. Maybe not the league but I can see us finally being in for a real chance next season to get some silverware. It would have been this season if not for some horrible misfortune (and complacency) against Bradford and Blackburn.

ReputationRep:
    Can't argue with that. Ipswich town coming above chelsea in 2000 and QPR. Lets not forget nottingham forest under clough.

We'll see, I guess it's premature to think about this though. But I'm just assuming all the targets are met and we all buy the required players. Maybe you might get a cash injection and buy messi we never know.
    The way I see next season is that Arsenal will improve, in the past we've improved massively in the space of 12 months and its what Wenger does best. We have plenty of cash and lots of hype about actually using it, a few genuinely class players would make us competitive with the top4 teams that were not at the minute.

In contrast, CFC/Utd/City would all score between 70-85 points realistically. Whereas I put Arsenal at between 75-80. Unlikely for all 3 others to mess it up but at least one will.

ReputationRep:
    The way I see next season is that Arsenal will improve, in the past we've improved massively in the space of 12 months and its what Wenger does best. We have plenty of cash and lots of hype about actually using it, a few genuinely class players would make us competitive with the top4 teams that were not at the minute.

In contrast, CFC/Utd/City would all score between 70-85 points realistically.

Again, dont think well win the title but we will improve.
    Good way to put it. I think you'll be in for the title the season after the next season if you keep key players. I could see what wenger was building this season tbf. I don't see any of utd, city or cfc under 75 points next season. Pellegrini will sort man city out from day 1, united will not drop off that badly under moyes and chelsea will have the likes of oscar, mata and hazard all accustomed to each other, with another signing in that mould for squad depth like schurle rather than having marin and moses for backups we'll improve. United just need that star CM and a winger while city need a rocket up their arses.

Tottenham's season next season depends wholly on whether you get a result vs wigan and newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    Tottenham's season next season depends wholly on whether you get a result vs wigan and newcastle.
    Spurs are right at the maximum of their potential. There's nothing left in the tank and its hard to see them attracting better players than the ones they have. Perhaps a top quality striker will help them but the way I see it, they probably wont finish above an Arsenal side ravaged by player sales but on the verge of being genuinely competitive financially for the first time since 2004. There a huge amount of potential upside in Arsenal and Spurs wont be getting near City/Utd etc for sure.

The way I see the next few years, Liverpool will overtake Spurs as soon as Bale leaves.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree about Spurs. If they can keep Bale they are only going to strengthen. Next season the fight for fourth should be you lot, Tottenham and Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs are right at the maximum of their potential. There's nothing left in the tank and its hard to see them attracting better players than the ones they have. Perhaps a top quality striker will help them but the way I see it, they probably wont finish above an Arsenal side ravaged by player sales but on the verge of being genuinely competitive financially for the first time since 2004. There a huge amount of potential upside in Arsenal and Spurs wont be getting near City/Utd etc for sure.

The way I see the next few years, Liverpool will overtake Spurs as soon as Bale leaves.
    A lot will depend on how effectively the funds from Bale's sale is used. If he's sold for 30-50mil, you can add to your squad quite a lot with some shrewd buys.

Spur's wage bill causes them a huge problem. I think their wage bill is half of Liverpool's and Arsenal's. Players will want more money or will move on sooner or later, especially when a team feels like it is being successful. Very much a stick or twist moment for Spurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    A lot will depend on how effectively the funds from Bale's sale is used. If he's sold for 30-50mil, you can add to your squad quite a lot with some shrewd buys.

Spur's wage bill causes them a huge problem. I think their wage bill is half of Liverpool's and Arsenal's. Players will want more money or will move on sooner or later, especially when a team feels like it is being successful. Very much a stick or twist moment for Spurs.
    If Bale is sold, I'd imagine his money goes towards their stadium project.

ReputationRep:
    they probably wont finish above an Arsenal side ravaged by player sales but on the verge of being genuinely competitive financially for the first time since 2004.
    Head to head we aren't good enough against Spurs. We only beat them due to Adebayor's freak challenge early on. At white hart lane we were outplayed.

We have good players who sometimes just don't perform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Head to head we aren't good enough against Spurs. We only beat them due to Adebayor's freak challenge early on. At white hart lane we were outplayed.

We have good players who sometimes just don't perform.
    What? we weren't outplayed at WHL. Arsenal were the better side that day, we just lacked the cutting edge in the final third, we gave up two sloppy goals due to individual errors. Spurs are nothing without Bale

ReputationRep:
    COYG!

If we gooners win today, we're almost going to be in the top 4. Newcastle are in the PL, so may not go all out on us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    I disagree about Spurs. If they can keep Bale they are only going to strengthen. Next season the fight for fourth should be you lot, Tottenham and Liverpool.
    We have 70million to spend, a world class midfield as well. We will fight for the PL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    We have 70million to spend, a world class midfield as well. We will fight for the PL
    No you really won't your fighting for 3rd/4th max. You making it sound like City, United and Chelsea won't strengthen either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    No you really won't your fighting for 3rd/4th max. You making it sound like City, United and Chelsea won't strengthen either.
    Arsenal are not a bad side. We just need strength in defense and one top -draw striker. Indeed, the other teams will strengthen but as we can see, arsenal will compete for the top spot - they may not get it or have a lower chance- but they will be in a position to compete.

Next season definitely will be an interesting one. All of the top four sides will have strength and depth.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Mike Dean is going to be the ref for tonight :/ His record when refereeing Arsenal is what scares me more than anything tonight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Götze)
    no but seriously, I have a good relationship with Podolski and Mertesacker and it would have been quite nice coming to the emirates - I class myself as a classic Wenger signing and spoke to him briefly before Dortmund faced Arsenal a while ago. He gave me his telephone number after the game but I lost the paper I wrote it on, unfortunately.

The only difference is that I'm already world class and Wenger does not need to "turn me into a star" because I already am one

I also feel that I am much better than Fabregas ever was or will be
    Why did I get negged for this post? I have scored 16 goals this season. That's more than Podolski, Cazorla, Gervinho, and most of your starting XI

Which arsenal player is better than me? NAME ONE

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.