Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    So I played and broke my arm in two places, only just got discharged after being high on gas and morphine, may be absent from the forum for a little while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :eek: hope you are gonna be okay, that doesn't sound good at all :/

ReputationRep:
    So I played and broke my arm in two places, only just got discharged after being high on gas and morphine, may be absent from the forum for a little while.
    Goodness! Hope you make a swift recovery.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Republic1)
    We have yet to hit March good sir, plenty of time left to do all of that :yy:

My life revolves around making plans and saying I'll do things and "never getting around to it" - I'm sure most people are the same
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Just about everybody is like that.

I myself plan (ned) to stick to the gym and healthy food, actually study my ass off and make sure i had a job before summer to fund myself through the summer and potentially a Masters in a year or so. To date however, none of that has happened.
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    The time machine shall be built my lord

Sounds like me, I went to collect something and expected to be home in half an hour but ended up stumbling into a pub and not coming back for hours.
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Haha that's true I think we were talking for about eight hours last night! Thank goodness for skype or I'd end up spending half my student loan on phone bills these days :lol:

Yeah, that sounds so much like me most of the time! Making good plans and following through on them are two very different things Still all very achievable though as you said
    Cheers y'all, well it's good to know I'm not the only one overall then I guess it is true that we're probably all a little bit like that. And in some senses I've done some pretty decent things with my time, but considering I've basically been off since July I feel like I could've and should've done more. Oh well, it's the present that matters now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    **** dude :eek: Hope it gets better for you soon!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hope you make a swift recovery from your injuries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    Cheers y'all, well it's good to know I'm not the only one overall then I guess it is true that we're probably all a little bit like that. And in some senses I've done some pretty decent things with my time, but considering I've basically been off since July I feel like I could've and should've done more. Oh well, it's the present that matters now

**** dude :eek: Hope it gets better for you soon!
    Have you not had a part time job during your time off.

ReputationRep:
    Harold Ramis has died He is the director of one of my favourite film ever, Groundhog Day.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Have you not had a part time job during your time off.
    Nothing proper. I mean, I've done bits and bobs; tutoring and whatever, but never anything that I would call proper actual employment. Just things on my own you know? I went through a slight period of searching and then Christmas arrived and that got put on hold a little bit but I'm searching at the moment and doing things to find a job, so that's some progress, I have an appointment with the National Careers Service tomorrow who have so far proved pretty helpful. So all in all, I think I'm getting there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Harold Ramis has died He is the director of one of my favourite film ever, Groundhog Day.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nh...HS-admits.html

The Tories aren't just privatising stuff now. They've decided to skip the kefuffle, and just hand over our personal data to their friends. £2,200 - not a typo - for 13 years of hospital data on 47 million patients to private insurance firms. All done two years ago without any parliamentary approval or public knowledge. As even the Torygraph comments section is pointing out - whose got the brown envelope?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

The Tories aren't just privatising stuff now. They've decided to skip the kefuffle, and just hand over our personal data to their friends. £2,200 - not a typo - for 13 years of hospital data on 47 million patients to private insurance firms. All done two years ago without any parliamentary approval or public knowledge. As even the Torygraph comments section is pointing out - whose got the brown envelope?
    Pretty disgraceful and extremely underhand way with which it has been achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)

ReputationRep:

shameless scum, no doubt paving the way for further privatisation, the sooner the Tories are banished from power the better, surely even Millbland can't be that corrupt?

ReputationRep:
    While not a fan of the secrecy surrounding it i do actually agree with making the information transparent. I'd be quite happy to have my genome mapped personally if it could lead to improvements via genetic manipulation.

ReputationRep:
    While not a fan of the secrecy surrounding it i do actually agree with making the information transparent. I'd be quite happy to have my genome mapped personally if it could lead to improvements via genetic manipulation.
    That's not the point though is it? This isn't for research or anything, although doing that with no consent or transparency is bad enough. It's being given away so insurance and actuary firms with Tory MPs on their boards can increase their profit margins.

ReputationRep:
    That's not the point though is it? This isn't for research or anything, although doing that with no consent or transparency is bad enough. It's being given away so insurance and actuary firms with Tory MPs on their boards can increase their profit margins.
    Are they the kind of firms that then do cold calls and leave annoying messages when you are out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Are they the kind of firms that then do cold calls and leave annoying messages when you are out?
    I doubt it. This is more so the firms in question now know, for instance, exactly how likely a 40-year-old British male is to die of cancer, so they can adjust insurance premiums accordingly. It's not personal data you could be identified with - although there are plans for that they haven't got round to yet! - but it is probably the clearest case of corruption I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    I require the advise of the programmers on here.

Basically my brother is 13 and is so good at ICT at that level that he apparently helps the teacher since he knows the stuff their teaching already (only year 8 mind).

Anyway, I want to encourage him to develop his computer skills since he loves it and seems to have a natural affinity. As such I was telling him all about programming and apps and games and he seemed interested so I've decided to buy him a book.

Now since I'm not adept at programming myself my first instinct was something along the lines of 'beginning programming with Java for dummies but it occurred to me that TSR contains the intellectual elite and that several here are pretty interested in programming.

So basically I want a recommendation for a book which will give my brother an introduction and enough practical examples for him to decide whether he likes it but baring in mind that he's never done it before.

ReputationRep:
    I require the advise of the programmers on here.

Basically my brother is 13 and is so good at ICT at that level that he apparently helps the teacher since he knows the stuff their teaching already (only year 8 mind).

Anyway, I want to encourage him to develop his computer skills since he loves it and seems to have a natural affinity. As such I was telling him all about programming and apps and games and he seemed interested so I've decided to buy him a book.

Now since I'm not adept at programming myself my first instinct was something along the lines of 'beginning programming with Java for dummies but it occurred to me that TSR contains the intellectual elite and that several here are pretty interested in programming.

So basically I want a recommendation for a book which will give my brother an introduction and enough practical examples for him to decide whether he likes it but baring in mind that he's never done it before.
    It depends… There are two major possible approaches which could be described as top-down and bottom-up. While the former starts with high-level programming languages and requires basic understanding of logic to produce an output, the latter involves deeper understanding of hardware and the relevant processes controlled by low-level programming languages.

For example, I started with self-learning of basic markup – HTML, CSS. Then some time later I was presented with C which I found a bit confusing, especially regarding optimisation, memory management, etc. With little progress, I then discovered high-level programming languages such as Python, Ruby and R and made huge progress. Then it was easier to understand the rest.

I think that the best option now is to utilise interactive websites offering programming tutorials such as codecademy.com or code.org. If you want to buy a book, I would recommend something with lots of practical examples, because I learn much faster if programming is a tool to get something done, not following meaningless tutorials and reading function descriptions to achieve some theoretical skills. I found Natural Language Processing with Python to be one of those.

ReputationRep:
    Remember when we discussed the last set of university strikes and the fierce debate what should happen in regards to students who losing out on hours and essentially money... Turns out my university has just agreed to donate a small sum of 50k in docked striker wages to the union for various uses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    Remember when we discussed the last set of university strikes and the fierce debate what should happen in regards to students who losing out on hours and essentially money... Turns out my university has just agreed to donate a small sum of 50k in docked striker wages to the union for various uses.
    What for? A "don't strike again for the rest of the month" payment?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.