Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Been reading this forum but haven't actually made a post until now. I have got my FSAC on 23rd March (seems really late) for the DaT stream. I'm coming from Switzerland for it so I had better pass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    I've just noticed we had FSAC on the same day and the same scheme. What group were you in? I was in 6.
    Ah really! I was in 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE5)
    Yh thanks. I would rather get more experience and then apply in a few years time, as this post is at a HEO grade, where you would be managing others and plus would need to relocate to London, which wouldn't be easy. Theres plenty of other posts in the civil service at a lower grade, to which I have applied for and are closer to home. It was definitely a positive experience, even though I completely flopped the leadership exercise, my presentation only lasted 3 minutes, that's the reason for the narrow fail. Oh well, congrats on your success and good luck for the future!
    Hi, just wondering for the lower grade, is the process same tests wise etc? How long does that take to get in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onouse)
    Hi, just wondering for the lower grade, is the process same tests wise etc? How long does that take to get in?
    Hi my experience has been from the Scottish Government where things are a little different, but outside of Fast Stream (and graduate placement schemes etc.) at the equivalent to EO level or below, you're generally looking at competency based applications and competency based interviews.

The process is not as demanding, but that's not to say there are usually a huge number of jobs available or that there isn't competition.

Things are probably better now than they were when I was starting off in the Civil Service around 2011.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lucy,
    Where did you find your report? I still can't see mine on the website!

ReputationRep:
    I just found my FSAC report on the website. I passed the Social Research stream with a score of 18.56 which I'm pretty happy with. The feedback they give is of a good level of detail and is quite personal to what I did/said/wrote. Very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GManTheGMan)
    Hi my experience has been from the Scottish Government where things are a little different, but outside of Fast Stream (and graduate placement schemes etc.) at the equivalent to EO level or below, you're generally looking at competency based applications and competency based interviews.

The process is not as demanding, but that's not to say there are usually a huge number of jobs available or that there isn't competition.

Things are probably better now than they were when I was starting off in the Civil Service around 2011.
    Hi,

Do you know if the fast stream relates to the same grades within the civil service outside of the fast stream.

I'm a little confused as to how progression works and what grade you are realistically expected to be at after 4/5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tas321)
    Hi,

Do you know if the fast stream relates to the same grades within the civil service outside of the fast stream.

I'm a little confused as to how progression works and what grade you are realistically expected to be at after 4/5 years.
    The fast stream is classed as HEO(D), equivalents I HEO (the D us for Development).

Different schemes have different rules but generally you'd be expected to be in SEO/Grade 7 at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    Just got an update

pass CD

Awaiting Results DS

Good Luck everyone, must be a general update today? - I had FSAC on 13 January.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I'm in the same boat. Do you think this is a good sign given we've heard relatively early for CD in terms of meaning we have a good chance with DS at the next band narrowing? Or is it impossible to read into this at this stage...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onouse)
    No, its not the same, usually for the AO/AA Grade, there will be an easier situational judgement test followed by an online application, and you have demonstrate 3 or 4 competencies, so definitely easier. Have a look on the civil service jobs website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy_sky)
    Passed and found my FSAC report: overall 15.81, lowest on Seeing a Bigger Picture/Changing and Improving 2.22, highest on Delivering Value for Money/Achieving Commercian Outcomes 2.83. Appearently I screwed up e-Tray written exercise (basicially I run out of time for generating novel ideas), but this was offset by other parts, which went ok I guess...Good luck to anyone who's still waiting!
    Well done what date was your fsac? Did you get an email or just check your status ? I think I messed up a couple of the ex. (Etray included) so am not that confident it will be a pass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f.burton)
    How did you find the day yesterday?
    I found it really tough. It was interesting and fun but difficult. I thought the interview would be the hardest but it turned out to be the easiest. I think practise is the way to go. It's hard to explain but I'm not sure at all how I've done at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E.Marie)
    Well done what date was your fsac? Did you get an email or just check your status ? I think I messed up a couple of the ex. (Etray included) so am not that confident it will be a pass!
    I had it a while ago (4th of Dec, found out that I passed on 15th of Dec). I did recieved an email from Parity with a notification about the outcome, but not about the FSAC report.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy_sky)
    I had it a while ago (4th of Dec, found out that I passed on 15th of Dec). I did recieved an email from Parity with a notification about the outcome, but not about the FSAC report.

Thanks - I guess I just need to be patient!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copycats&Acrobats)
    I had my fsac on the 5th feb and haven't heard back yet (although my status now says awaiting results).
    I emailed them and they said I'd hear either early this week, at the end of February or at the end of march. So I'm assuming that the same holds for everyone.
    The wait is killing me. I wasn't this impatient about my degree results!
    Did you hear back today by any chance? I had my FSAC Friday so just seeing if I can working out when the initial decisions might be given. I'm getting really impatient too even though it's only been a few days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkyGuy)
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat. Do you think this is a good sign given we've heard relatively early for CD in terms of meaning we have a good chance with DS at the next band narrowing? Or is it impossible to read into this at this stage...
    We certainly can't read much into it and I don't think we can get too optimistic but I remain hopeful.

My reading of it from monitoring this forum is that;

- some got automatic CD/DS passes
    - some got automatic CD pass and Awaiting Results for DS.
    - some (like us) got amber banded for both
    - some amber for CD - fail DS
    - some failed both

Then last week we had our first band narrowing it seems and from that;
    - some passed for CD and DS
    - some passed for CD and remain amber for DS (ourselves)
    - some are amber for both
    - and a few have failed DS or both.

That would seem to put us in with a 'fair' chance I would say. The unknown factor is how many DS applicants still have FSAC's to go. The push back of FSBs to late March/Early April suggest that there are still quite a few to go.

Also some FSB's will take place this month I think so it might be a case as well of how many of those people pass. For example if they all failed that might mean they take more for their next round of FSBs, conversely if they all pass there might only be a few spots left.

I haven't checked previous years threads but there might be some pattern to be divined from them that might give a better inclination of our chances.

However in conclusion plenty of unknowns and we can but hope really. Best of luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parmaviolet)
    Did you hear back today by any chance? I had my FSAC Friday so just seeing if I can working out when the initial decisions might be given. I'm getting really impatient too even though it's only been a few days!
    Nope. its still saying awaiting results. I'm going to give checking it a bit of a rest until friday and then see. I'm hoping they'll tell me either way. I'd like to know where I stand. Good Luck to you though! What stream/s have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. its still saying awaiting results. I'm going to give checking it a bit of a rest until friday and then see. I'm hoping they'll tell me either way. I'd like to know where I stand. Good Luck to you though! What stream/s have you applied for?
    Yeah thats a good idea. I applied for CD, how about you? Good luck too!

ReputationRep:
    I went on Thursday the 5th too, just got a successful through for DaT so they must have just released the immediately successful/unsuccessful results for Thursday now.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just to let you know results have been released for people who attended on 5th Feb.

I was successful! In complete shock but so, so happy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.