The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skill Twix
Both are really good!
Your stats?

GCSE's- 6A*'S, 2A'S, 3B'S
AS LEVELS- 3A'S (Econ, History, Maths), 1B (Phyiscs)
PREDICTIONS- A*AA

Bristol is econ and management and Nottingham is straight econ, not sure which one to go for.
Original post by anonwinner
Bristol > Nottingham

why?
I thought it was widely accepted that Bristol is better than Nottingham for economics

Last year Notts definitely did better but I'm not sure as a whole, I don't think there's much difference between Notts Bristol or Bath though, depends on what you want location wise

On a side note Notts does have an alumni(us?) who won the nobel prize in economics :cool:
Offer from Manchester!Sent my UCAS yesterday!first offer :smile:

Congratulations!!!!!:biggrin:
I thought it was widely accepted that Bristol is better than Nottingham for economics

Tbh bath, Bristol and Nottingham are all pretty similar IMO. Employers will treat all 3 quite similarly.
If you're trying to decide out of these unis, decide based on which one you like more rather than their graduate prospects etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope I do get the Bristol offer :frown:

If you got the grades & a good PS+reference I'm sure you'll have a decent chance :smile:
Original post by groovyd97
Tbh bath, Bristol and Nottingham are all pretty similar IMO. Employers will treat all 3 quite similarly.
If you're trying to decide out of these unis, decide based on which one you like more rather than their graduate prospects etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair point, however I looked at some international rankings and Bath is ranked fairly low compared to the likes of Bristol which is top 50, do you think this should have any influence on my decision?
Original post by Wojtek97
has anyone got/still waiting on economics offer from exeter?

Got an AAB offer last week :smile:
Original post by imrhuss
Got an AAB offer last week :smile:

how long did you wait for your offer?
Original post by Wojtek97
how long did you wait for your offer?

Waited for about a week until i got any offers, then they all just sorta came at once lol
Reply 2130
Original post by Flather
Just Wondering why you are going to accept 2 unis with the same grades? Seems a bit pointless to me if you miss the grades you don't go to uni. What is wrong with Leeds and Liverpool?

Well honestly there's no other uni in England with a reputation or city I'd want to go to, Reading at ABB was somewhat a consideration but then I thought, I don't want to go to Reading...

As well as that personally I think I'll get AAA, meaning I'll get into Manchester, but if I do mess up Maths (because C3 and C4 are seeming pretty difficult so far) then Sheffield will take me at AAB without the A needed in Maths for Manchester

Also I just always wanted to go to Manchester and still do, nothing particularly wrong with Liverpool or Leeds but I can't really put them as my insurance when they have higher grades than my firm

I also have a friend who got into Manchester last year for Chemistry when he got BBB on an ABB offer so if I miss the grades slightly then I might just be lucky and they'll take me

Originally I was going to make Manchester my firm (AAB) and make the Leeds Access Scheme offer (ABB with completed summer school) or Newcastle Partners offer (ABB with completed summer school) my insurance until I found out access scheme offers can only be taken as firm choices

I was also considering applying for the Economics and Maths BSc at Newcastle to have as my insurance choice as I think they give offers of ABB on that course, then I thought...I do not have a strong enough interest in pure/core maths for that course

University isn't about getting a 'useful' qualification for me, it's about studying something that interests me in a place I like, so I'm not a fan of applying somewhere I wouldn't want to go on a course I wouldn't want to do just to go to uni

If I ended up not getting in then I could see myself just working for a year and reapplying the year after for the access schemes with my already achived grades
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by abccba120
If you got the grades & a good PS+reference I'm sure you'll have a decent chance :smile:

Will A*AB be considered(AS level results ABBB)
(edited 9 years ago)
Will A*AB be considere?(AS level results ABBB)

Yes it should be, if the A* is in maths then definately, however the typical offer is A*AA so the B may be a disadvantage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it should be, if the A* is in maths then definately, however the typical offer is A*AA so the B may be a disadvantage

Posted from TSR Mobile

A* in Economics!Well my Physics teacher was reluctant to predict me an A.I really love their course!I hope things work out well!
Got offer LSE! :biggrin:
Original post by ScienceGeek!
Got offer LSE! :biggrin:

Nice one! :smile: What were your stats?
Nice one! :smile: What were your stats?

five A's AS, predicted 5A* A Level, 10A* GCSE and an A.

Congrats. When did u apply? When did u receive ur eight weeks email?
Original post by AcaciaZ
Congrats. When did u apply? When did u receive ur eight weeks email?

Applied 14th October and got eight week email Nov 7.

Dayum :eek: Almost perfect academically :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest