Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, training camp rosters are 90 players eventually getting down to 53 plus 10 practice squad guys so I think there is enough talent to furnish a developmental league of like 16 teams maybe, spot them about Europe and develop some players better. If you look at it in Premier League football terms so many players played in the lower divisions and got really good. Jamie Vardy is probably the most current example. I think it would be great for international outreach and doesn't require the mass of complications that a London franchise would bring. I just really can't see the London move working in reality unless the league makes a bunch of adjustments for it.

ReputationRep:
    There was a really interesting podcast I listened to a while ago about the idea of a developmental league. The takeaway was that the guy just doesn't think there is room for another commercially viable football league, but would prefer if they had NFL sponsored training centres. So for example a retired head coach would run one of these centres and spend the season putting young players who hadn't made a team through an NFL style training regime of indy drills, walkthroughs lifting and playbook stuff. That way you get a larger pool of young players who coaches trust to know what they're doing.

I don't get why they're so set on having a franchise in London, it just doesn't make sense to me. A game in China sounds silly too, for the reasons you mentioned. Go to Mexico, Berlin, or even Dublin or Austria first.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, the Los Angeles Rams are your 2016 Hard Knocks team. That is going to be good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Ooh, the Los Angeles Rams are your 2016 Hard Knocks team. That is going to be good!
    No, it really isn't.You're going to get a bunch of rubbish about "How are you finding life in LA?" for the series, and maybe something interesting about Case Keenum, Alec Ogletree and Aaron Donald. If it's the former LA-centric stuff, it's going to be awful. If it's the latter...well maybe it could be interesting.

The Rams are just...mediocre...when they really shouldn't be with all that talent. Maybe it could be interesting to see how Jeff Fisher still has a job though,and how Kronke runs the team into the ground.

I guess it's fitting that they are basically the Texans of the NFC though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    No, it really isn't.You're going to get a bunch of rubbish about "How are you finding life in LA?" for the series, and maybe something interesting about Case Keenum, Alec Ogletree and Aaron Donald. If it's the former LA-centric stuff, it's going to be awful. If it's the latter...well maybe it could be interesting.

The Rams are just...mediocre...when they really shouldn't be with all that talent. Maybe it could be interesting to see how Jeff Fisher still has a job though,and how Kronke runs the team into the ground.

I guess it's fitting that they are basically the Texans of the NFC though.
    Hahaha I suppose but I liked the Texans one! O'Brian was hilarious and I have a JJ Watt man crush. I think the LA angle adds something different anyway but I hope they don't get away from the roster bubble guys, that tends to be the best bit.

ReputationRep:
    Hard Knocks will be good as usual I suppose. I have been fairly irritated by some people on both of the last two seasons (JJ Watt telling everyone how humble he is and every single Atlanta Falcon being a boring douche).

Usually the interesting parts of the show are players nobody even knows the names of yet. Every year people try to judge Hard Knocks based on the big name players in a given team and every year that's never what it's really about.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Douglas was great but I know what you mean about the Falcons. The dude with the socks was an absolute hero on the Texans but I think JJ is pretty humble to be honest, he's just not a flashy guy off the field.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Douglas was great but I know what you mean about the Falcons. The dude with the socks was an absolute hero on the Texans but I think JJ is pretty humble to be honest, he's just not a flashy guy off the field.
    I think JJ Watt is probably a good guy but some of his stuff is just so over the top it has more of a place in the WWE than the NFL.

"I'm so dedicated I don't have time to take a selfie but I do have time to criticise someone else for taking a selfie"

"I needed to stay out of the media and just train, so I went to this log cabin that I now feel the need to tell everyone about."

"I don't go out partying because I need to sleep so much MAKE SURE YOU GET THAT ON THE SHOW"

ReputationRep:
    JJ Watt's the best. He's my favourite football player.

I think Dave of the Draw Play summed it up best:

I watched the first episode of Hard Knocks and I’m not sure JJ Watt could get more stereotypical good ol boy American hero unless he could talk to eagles and was named Abe Manifest Destiny Washington. I watch him and I think about movie football players, you know the team captain from Friday Night Lights type inspirational characters who are just too perfect and have the sweet girlfriend before something goes wrong and the guy dies or something, only JJ Watt didn’t die he lived and now plays DE in Texas (dear god he really is the stereotype isn’t he?). I’m still not convinced he actually bleeds when his nose gets busted, it’s probably just pints of blood that don’t feel worthy of his body so it leaves in shame. He’s Chuck Norris jokes but football.

He’s so great he’s practically a cartoon character and I’m sort of waiting to see something bad come out that completely ruins his reputation. Maybe not Bill Cosby levels, but something bad just feels like it has to come out because nobody is that great a person. He does seem just a touch arrogant with the selfie thing, he lied about the cabin in the woods and when Mett needlessly zinged him again he used the ultimate macho bro douche line of “A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinions of a sheep”, which I always hated as a phrase because by using it you are effectively acknowledging the sheep’s opinions. If you truly don’t care, you don’t talk about it and you just don’t. That’s why I kind of love Jay Cutler.

But really these are tiny, tiny imperfections in the armor that is JJ Watt’s perfection. If he ever reads this he’ll probably give me a wink and a smile while saving orphans from a burning house during an earthquake.
    Name:  jj-watt-tdp.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  205.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't know whether any of you guys follow other American sports, but I created a Baseball talk thread. I love baseball, and especially wit it being NFL off season.h

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3974305

ReputationRep:
    Yeah JJ Watt is the real life Captain America. I think anyone who is that good has to have a supreme confidence which always risks coming across as arrogance and I do think sometimes when he says douchey bro things that he's almost doing it in ironic way.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah JJ Watt is the real life Captain America. I think anyone who is that good has to have a supreme confidence which always risks coming across as arrogance and I do think sometimes when he says douchey bro things that he's almost doing it in ironic way.
    I'm just convinced he'd bleed red white and blue. To be fair, he has an attitude of playing football, becoming the best ever at it, and earning a lot of money, and doing fun things after...well, after his mega-contract, I can't really blame him.

I'm convinced he'll be a first ballot Hall of Famer. And next season will be just his sixth in the league. He's still going to get better and better. Yikes.

ReputationRep:
    TITANS TRADE! Talk to me team. I personally think the trade is more likely to work in the Titans favour and they are likely to cut the talent gap between them and the other teams in the division making it one to watch this year and for the future.

ReputationRep:
    Fixtures are released at 1am tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Releasing Easley, not sure what to make of that decision although I hated the pick back when we made it...

Guy must be a locker room cancer or his medical prospects poor.

ReputationRep:
    TITANS TRADE! Talk to me team. I personally think the trade is more likely to work in the Titans favour and they are likely to cut the talent gap between them and the other teams in the division making it one to watch this year and for the future.
    Absolutely!

They have a fantastic young QB. They have their stud LT. They have been building pieces. Unfortunately for them,even though it's a good draft for OTs and defensive players, it takes the top 10-15 prospects off the board for them. Mind you. there's still a good chance of them getting a Shaq Lawson, Eli Apple, Mackensie Alexander, Jack Conklin type and now they have three picks in the second round to reload.

Read that to get #1 overall, the Rams traded their first this year, two seconds this year, a third this year, a first next year, and a third next year, and they also get the Titan's fourth and sixth round picks this year. While it would be the Rams thing to get Myles Jack or Jalen Ramsey, it has to be for Goff.

I can see why the Rams did it, but their roster strength isn't good enough to justify that. It's a move to energise a fan base. It also distorts the QB market because the Cowboys, Bills, Jets and Cardinals could take a QB much sooner than they should do. Which means Paxton Lynch and potentially Connor Cook won't reach #31. If one of them does, the Broncos must make a move to secure them at #31. If not, get the best defensive player available at S, DE or ILB (Karl Joseph, Jonathan Bullard would be wonderful) and trade up for Hackenberg in the second...

ReputationRep:
    Goff was my thoughts too, timing too close to the whole Jason LaCanafora 'Goff is the Browns guy' thing which broke 1 or two days earlier. It might cause a bit of QB carnage which plays into the Jags hands. I feel like the Chargers might well pick up Tunsil now so that means they hopefully have their pick between two of Jack, Ramsey, Bosa which is obviously better than getting whoever is left out of that trio. I'd personally have them ranked in that order too as far as the Jags draft goes. If Tashaun Gipson hadn't been signed then maybe I'd switch Jack and Ramsey but that is a tough call.

ReputationRep:
    Funny, everything I've been reading is saying the Rams moved for Wentz. Teams seem to have liked him in interviews (compared him to Luck) which is obviously something we can't evaluate. I suppose with Wentz the Rams get someone who plays under center and they can try and run the 2014 Dallas offense with good tackles and Gurley. Line up in 11 or 12 personnel with the QB under center, run outside zone for 2000 yards on the season and try and keep your QB in the bottom five of starters in terms of passing attempts... easy

I don't see the Browns taking the second QB in the draft. They prepared for this eventuality when they signed RG3. I think they move Thomas before the draft and fill their newly found position of need with the best player available, which is Tunsil. I think they draft a QB but not early, and go into the season with the same situation as the Jets.

I don't forsee that kind of run on QBs. Something has to give in the Fitzpatrick talks with the Jets because nobody else really wants him. I think they'll go into the draft with the same three they had last year, hoping that Geno will win the camp competition, going with Fitz if not and trying to help Petty get better than either of them. I get what you mean with the Cards and Cowboys, but I don't think they take a QB before the Broncos pick. With the Bills it's kind of a toss up, we don't really know how they feel about Taylor yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Funny, everything I've been reading is saying the Rams moved for Wentz. Teams seem to have liked him in interviews (compared him to Luck) which is obviously something we can't evaluate. I suppose with Wentz the Rams get someone who plays under center and they can try and run the 2014 Dallas offense with good tackles and Gurley. Line up in 11 or 12 personnel with the QB under center, run outside zone for 2000 yards on the season and try and keep your QB in the bottom five of starters in terms of passing attempts... easy

I don't see the Browns taking the second QB in the draft. They prepared for this eventuality when they signed RG3. I think they move Thomas before the draft and fill their newly found position of need with the best player available, which is Tunsil. I think they draft a QB but not early, and go into the season with the same situation as the Jets.

I don't forsee that kind of run on QBs. Something has to give in the Fitzpatrick talks with the Jets because nobody else really wants him. I think they'll go into the draft with the same three they had last year, hoping that Geno will win the camp competition, going with Fitz if not and trying to help Petty get better than either of them. I get what you mean with the Cards and Cowboys, but I don't think they take a QB before the Broncos pick. With the Bills it's kind of a toss up, we don't really know how they feel about Taylor yet.
    I'm personally hoping we see some draft day madness and 3 qbs come off in the first 8, leaving us with some very very appealing options at 9. Watch for us to trade up too. Glennon still being dangled about as bait, if someone nibbled and we could move up for Ramsay I'd be made up.

That trade could go so right, or so wrong for both teams really. If the titans find 2 or 3 good players with those extra picks it could really impact some of the holes they have. The Rams could find a franchise QB to be the face of LA, or we could see some real hard knocks drama go down. I'm excited for the new season already.

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting one. I don't know the numbers, but surely this year's top 8 must have an unprecedented amount of capital already invested in QBs. Dallas, SD, Baltimore and Philly are all paying franchise money, as are SF if they can't offload Kaep. Jacksonville has a high draft choice in there and will obviously not be going QB. Cleveland has two players making high level backup/low starter money and IMO will only take a QB if it just so happens that they disagree with the Rams on which one is better out of Wentz and Goff.

I don't see Glennon being very compelling trade bait (at least for you guys to move up in round 1) for that reason. The only team that can be considered to have a pressing need there is San Francisco. I see them moving up a couple of spots to secure Goff, but not moving down and going into camp with Glennon and Gabbert. That just sounds like a great way to get fired to me.

It seems that although it's NFL lore that there are always only 20-25 qualified QBs to do 32 jobs, that is not really true at the moment because 5-6 spots are being filled by players over 35. I don't know if that is an unusual number though. It does feel as if an uncommon number of teams are comfortable with their QB right now though. Curious about other people's thoughts on this.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.