Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if Klopp turns Mignolet into a beast goalkeeper. :lol:

But seriously I don't understand why'd we offer him a new contract, he's not good enough to be a starting goalkeeper at any of the top 5 clubs. The disparity is crazy; United have DDG, City have Hart, Arsenal have Cech, Chelsea have Courtois and Tottenham have Lloris. Anyway, I'm willing to give Mignolet until the summer to see if Klopp can work wonders.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have a feeling Klopp may pick the exact same team as he did against City tonight.

Maybe Coutinho might be the exception, with Klopp holding him back until the weekend if he is unsure over his fitness. I wouldn't start Firmino myself, as he has looked a shade of the player we saw against City in the last two matches. That said, maybe Klopp being there every day at training means he sees something different.

I think it's pretty interesting that Klopp already seems to have players he relies on - Lucas and Milner, namely - despite only being here for so long.

I can see the midfield three being Lucas, Milner and Can. If Coutinho doesn't come in, I'd expect Firmino to start and give us some creativity in the final third, with Lallana and Benteke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    Imagine if Klopp turns Mignolet into a beast goalkeeper. :lol:

But seriously I don't understand why'd we offer him a new contract, he's not good enough to be a starting goalkeeper at any of the top 5 clubs. The disparity is crazy; United have DDG, City have Hart, Arsenal have Cech, Chelsea have Courtois and Tottenham have Lloris. Anyway, I'm willing to give Mignolet until the summer to see if Klopp can work wonders.
    Wouldn't be down to Klopp but the goalkeeper coaching staff. I doubt Klopp will have much input other than to realise Mignolet can't distribute the ball and therefore our tactics need to be adjusted slightly.

Makes no sense to offer a new contract. Some people saying he needs a new contract to keep his value. He still has 2.5 years left on his contract and no big club is going to come in for him. Frankly extending his contract now will only lead to a bigger pay-off to him when we do sell.

Wait till the summer - if he's had a great season then we can extend (since he'll only have 2 years left at that point). If he's had another poor season, we can sell for like £3-5mil hopefully. His wages already make it difficult to sell him so giving him a higher wage now is crazy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think there's a certain amount of Klopp showing he won't be dictated to in this. If he and the goalkeeping staff genuinely have faith in Mignolet, then OK. But, I imagine this is going some way to him sticking a pin in thoughts that the fans know best. After all, if he was to appease the fans, he'd have to get rid of Lovren, Lallana and maybe even the likes of Moreno and Allen in the summer along with Mignolet before raiding Dortmund to keep us all happy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bogdan, Randall, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Lucas, Allen, Lallana, Origi, Sturridge

Subs: Mignolet, Smith, Milner, Benteke, Firmino, Henderson, Ibe

Lucas captain
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    What time is Kick off and is it on TV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    What time is Kick off and is it on TV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    KO is at 19:45 and it's on SS1.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    KO is at 19:45 and it's on SS1.
    Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Bogdan, Randall, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno, Can, Lucas, Allen, Lallana, Origi, Sturridge

Subs: Mignolet, Smith, Milner, Benteke, Firmino, Henderson, Ibe

Lucas captain
    A tad weaker than I expected considering the opponents.

At least we have a strong bench.
    Glad Coutinho is left out though - hopefully means he's a green light for the weekend.
    Really refreshing to see Klopp being careful with our best player....unlike Wenger

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guttered to be missing this game.

ReputationRep:
    Mané and Tadic are gonna be the big threats here.

We definitely have a stronger side but home advantage for Soton cannot be underestimated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My god.

I did say Mané....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    power on that header, but didn't seem to have anyone challenging him at all.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm not guttered :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Already? GG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    power on that header, but didn't seem to have anyone challenging him at all.
    It was hilariously easy for them.

Big problem is that it completely messes up our tactics.
    We normally come out with intense pressure in the first 30 mins and dominate the game. Now we're chasing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    Already? GG
    Maybe I might play FIFA after all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Man like Mane. Really good header I must say.

Also, lmao Zerf, 'guttered'

ReputationRep:
    We're getting absolutely rekt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The crowd is really messing with the heads of Lovren and Lallana.
    Come on lads, you're bloody professionals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.