David Tennant
    59.71%
    Matt Smith
    32.09%

• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I've been reading another forum, and thought I'd bring it up here... Has anyone noticed, when it comes to "name theories" (what's in a name?):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Translating Donna Noble (and her job) into Latin:
    Donna = Woman
    Noble = Lord
    Temp = Time

And you can make "Time Lord" out of Wilfred Mott (Donna's Grandfather) as an anagram, with "WTF" left over :p:
    Probably complete irrelevant rubbish but quite interesting :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motassa)
    I don't believe what I just saw there...

For christ's sake:
    THE DALEKS! AGAIN! WITH A HUGE ARMY! AGAIN! INVADING GODDANG EARTH! AGAIN!

Will it ever stop? Even in the olden episodes the Daleks where kind of overrepresented. I imagine them to be a screenwriters dream, yes. Take onedimensional antichrists, a whole army of them, and juxtapose all of the good guys. It can't get much easier, can it. All there's left to do is the decoration, pardon me, plotwriting, pardon me again, remixing the strategic war reports from wikipedia to fit this scenario. How dull is that?

Now, to the point: I love the finales of Dr.Who, I absolutely do, and this one will be no exception. But please, the DALEKS aren't the only supervillians in the Whoniverse and its Timeline who are bent on total domination and the Doctor's end, there's plenty of others. When do they get a shot at the finale?

The Master was a fitting deviation, absolutely. But what I miss, compared to the olden series, is some persistence and continuity that does NOT pertain to the end of the universe. I prefer plots that bring back a few already known characters and plotlines from former episodes. There's no need to constantly try to cause epileptic shocks in the audience, consistency is what matters more in the long run. From what I have seen and heard in radio/tv reports, Dr. Who can't woo that many more viewers. It's almost everyone in the UK! So, why not let the visual bombasticism rest for some time and instead bring in other characters that don't carry absolute annihilation in their wake?

EDIT: I believe some explanation is in order here. All finales, including this one (by all projections), carried such a huge momentum that they where more bluster than substance. The last 2-3 episodes of a season featured less implications for the whoniverse than the ones earlier in a season. Less witfrying visuals and cathartic plotlines and a more - I daresay this - intellectual approach to fact that this show drives everything around the whoniverse.

Some examples? Attention, if I'm misinformed PLEASE DO correct me.

• For instance, I would just love to have the Monk/Time Meddler reappear! After all, HIS Tardis still exists in that ugly cave disguised as a ...sarcophagus.
      I don't want to go into plot details here, but if the BBC expects the viewers to accept that the Master emerged from the Eye of Harmony in the form of a Fob/Fab watch, what stops the Monk from working a few hundred years on a new dimensional control and chase after the Doctor (IF he lusts for revenge, which I cant say, don't know him really )?
    • What else do we have...oh right! Time loops! Haven't seen one properly introduced in the new series I think. Would make for some great storytelling, if to be shown from the...INSIDE! Ha!
    • I've run out of time, gotta go. But I hope my meaning is clear.

TBH, the end of the universe comes too soon in the series. If I'm not terribly wrong and my judgement severly clouded, the Master will emerge as the ubervillian who subdued the Daleks and get's another bounce at his usual stuff, failing of course but taking Donna with him. End of story. GREAT STUFF!
    (just consider the colors...the ring, the tardis, them daleks a.s.o.)

All this moaning made me forget my core point. Dammit.

Before I get verbally incinerated, I want to state clearly that I am NOT asking for a plot connection to th eold series, I would some more consistency within the new series. Let's see what our new head writer will conjure up ( it is going to be Mofatt, right?)

Have a nice day, :tsr2: !

Well it is RTD's last series... he's just putting everything he likes/created into the last episode...hes making a connection with rose and bad wolf which = daleks....I dont really see the problem...and anyway in the last series they wernt all that super...

I expect this ending will put the daleks to rest...and moffat can have or make is own death hungry monster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    I've been reading another forum, and thought I'd bring it up here... Has anyone noticed, when it comes to "name theories" (what's in a name?):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Translating Donna Noble (and her job) into Latin:
    Donna = Woman
    Noble = Lord
    Temp = Time

And you can make "Time Lord" out of Wilfred Mott (Donna's Grandfather) as an anagram, with "WTF" left over :p:
    Probably complete irrelevant rubbish but quite interesting :p:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ooooo, that would explain why a whole new paralel universe was created around her!
    And why the words "You're so strong! What will you become?" Were said to / over her!

Hmmmm, does Wilfred have a fobwatch? :p:

Either that, or complete coincidence

ReputationRep:
    That was an awesome episode, I take those words and scatter them across the universe
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Somebody)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ooooo, that would explain why a whole new paralel universe was created around her!
    And why the words "You're so strong! What will you become?" Were said to / over her!

Hmmmm, does Wilfred have a fobwatch? :p:

Either that, or complete coincidence
    It probably is a coincidence but
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's been made clear that Donna is 'special' in some way, so it would make sense Anyway they've already done the whole name thing before (Professor Yana/"You Are Not Alone") so I don't know if they'd do it again :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    It probably is a coincidence but
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's been made clear that Donna is 'special' in some way, so it would make sense Anyway they've already done the whole name thing before (Professor Yana/"You Are Not Alone") so I don't know if they'd do it again :p:
    Spoiler:
    Show

My boyfriend and I were talking and we thought that maybe Donnas father might have been a timelord as he has been mentioned many times but we have never really heard what happened to him
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by randdom)
    Spoiler:
    Show

My boyfriend and I were talking and we thought that maybe Donnas father might have been a timelord as he has been mentioned many times but we have never really heard what happened to him
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mmm yeah that could work Donna's father was always meant to be in this series, but the actor died between The Runaway Bride and Series 4 It could've been written in though, there must be some explanation as to why Donna is special Good theory

ReputationRep:
    I was tingling for the last few minutes of that episode...I thought it was AMAZING!! One of the best episodes of anything I've seen in a long time. I couldn't really remember what bad wolf was about (My head just conjures up the warewolf from the Torchwood birth episode...I know that isn't to do with it...) but I was very excited it was back...LOVE it when things stick together like that! Has Rose's voice changed a bit? I spose she could have picked up a different accent in a parallel universe...
    Ermmm did they know Donna would be back at some point when they wrote that Xmas special? I assumed not...but RTD is admirable in his ability to make it seem like he has...I think anyway! The guy gets plenty of stick, but that episode was so good. And I love the fact the Daleks are back, just makes the thing seem so much more epic, and brings back memories
    Can't FRIGGING wait till next week :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie_90)
    I was tingling for the last few minutes of that episode...I thought it was AMAZING!! One of the best episodes of anything I've seen in a long time. I couldn't really remember what bad wolf was about (My head just conjures up the warewolf from the Torchwood birth episode...I know that isn't to do with it...)
    Rose left the words "Bad Wolf" around for herself as she went through time (was in the last episode of the 1st new series where she opened the vortex and had all the knowledge of time and space in here head that the doctor took off her).
    Basically, it's a warning about the end of the universe.

Since doctor Who, Billie Piper's played "posh" roles, so hasn't had to use a chavvy voice for a while (is what she said).

I do agree that that was one of RTD's finer episodes in my opinion - and one of the best I've seen so far

ReputationRep:
    Rose left the words "Bad Wolf" around for herself as she went through time (was in the last episode of the 1st new series where she opened the vortex and had all the knowledge of time and space in here head that the doctor took off her).

Since doctor Who, Billie Piper's played "posh" roles, so hasn't had to use a chavvy voice for a while (is what she said).

I do agree that that was one of RTD's finer episodes in my opinion - and one of the best I've seen so far
    Me too, was one of the best

ReputationRep:

You could really tell, at the start of the episode she sounded really really wierd, then by the end she sounded proper and mint agian.

At the start i kinda thaught "she sounds like her teeth are too big for her mouth" though the end she was talking fine

ReputationRep:
    Anyone looked at the BBC's Bad Wolf website? It has clues and all the times Bad Wolf words have appeared in the show, quite a lot actually! It also has some whacky theories about what exactly is the "bad wolf."

ReputationRep:
    No what is the site, I am looking at the one from the first series but that is old and doesn't have any of the new encounters
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wizard710)
    No what is the site, I am looking at the one from the first series but that is old and doesn't have any of the new encounters
    :ditto: Is there another one?

ReputationRep:
    The thing that grates me the most about RTD's episodes are the deus ex machina that seems to occur about 3/4 of the way in. The doctor suddenly realises how to save everything/or revert everything back to the past/or erase everything that happened. I would welcome a similar format to the old series'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fellas)
    The thing that grates me the most about RTD's episodes are the deus ex machina that seems to occur about 3/4 of the way in. The doctor suddenly realises how to save everything/or revert everything back to the past/or erase everything that happened. I would welcome a similar format to the old series'.

Big w0rd!

ReputationRep:
    Nah I think its the same site, but the clues may be have been set all the way even then for this final big bannnng.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walkjj)
    Nah I think its the same site, but the clues may be have been set all the way even then for this final big bannnng.
    They may well have been. Billie said at the end of series 2 when she left she knew she was going to be coming back to do these episodes, so im sure RTD knew a general idea of what he was going to do.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see the Blue Peter yesterday? It had one of the presenters acting as a Dalek in the series finale and showed some clips from the actual episode. I guess it sgould be up on iPlayer by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <O>)
    Anyone see the Blue Peter yesterday? It had one of the presenters acting as a Dalek in the series finale and showed some clips from the actual episode. I guess it sgould be up on iPlayer by now.
    I saw that

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.