Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Not going to happen Track updates for everybody on the 18th, and won't be starting to update until around 8am. Certainly from Cambridge, you won't hear anything until after your track has updated - you will most likely receive a freshers pack from your college if you've met your offer, but it will be a couple of days after your results and certainly not before.
    My sister got her fresher's pack the morning of results day last year!

(She was unable to log onto track because of the number of people trying at the same time)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got the tshirt)
    My sister got her fresher's pack the morning of results day last year!

(She was unable to log onto track because of the number of people trying at the same time)
    Depends on the college! I think I got mine a few days after but I don't really remember. You definitely won't get it before though
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma1701)
    aHHH! I know exactly what you mean, I put Durham as my insurance, keep trying to picture myself going there, but anytime anyone makes a reference to Oct, I just see myself flying to Stansted, getting the train to Cambridge, and having a nice wee drink in Queens' bar ...

denials the worst...
    At least we'll be in good company at Durham! Looks like lots of people have that as their insurance.

(My sister would be unbearable though)

(Original post by emma1701)
    I know exactly how you feel. My head of year actually detests me, so before exams she preceded to give a 30 minute speech about how people who aim too high will regret it, because if you aim for an A* and don't get it your a complete failure, you've failed to achieve your goals and so therefore don't deserve to go to a good uni, and infact she pitys people who delude themselves about their capabilities. Whereas if you aim for a C or a D and get it then your a success.
    It was thouroughly motivational.
    And a stellar message for the rest of the year I thought....
    I was predicted an A for further maths and Pembroke have asked for an A* in it.

Hope we both prove our teachers wrong (mine laughed when I asked her after I got my offer whether I could get an A*)

I was predicted an A for further maths and Pembroke have asked for an A* in it.

Hope we both prove our teachers wrong (mine laughed when I asked her after I got my offer whether I could get an A*)
      Are you a mathmo coming to Pembroke? If so, keep an eye out for Ernest - he's an absolute legend! :lol:
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by darkestskies)
      i hate this time of year. It goes:

1) forget all about impending results for a few blissful hours
      2) suddenly remember about results and feel horribly sick
      3) start frantically going over every exam/piece of coursework; become terrified of not getting the grades
      4) rationalise and convince self that everything will be absolutely fine
      5) forget about results again
      are you me?!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tortious)
      Are you a mathmo coming to Pembroke? If so, keep an eye out for Ernest - he's an absolute legend! :lol:
      No - engineering

I did enjoy maths before I had the pressure of getting an A* in FM . Totally over dosed on it but if I get there I will keep an eye out for Ernest (is he a student or tutor?).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
      are you me?!
      Who'd want to be you?

:pierre:

No - engineering

I did enjoy maths before I had the pressure of getting an A* in FM . Totally over dosed on it but if I get there I will keep an eye out for Ernest (is he a student or tutor?).
        No, he's a student. I don't know (m)any engineers, but you'll be very popular since you're the only people with access to the tools to make "engineers' pennies". Basically there's a drinking game (pennying) played at formal where if you get a penny into someone's glass of wine, they have to down it. Engineers' pennies are folded to fit into a bottle of wine - slip one of those in and they have to drink the lot! :woo:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by cpdavis)
        When my predicted grade for physics was changed to an A after a big debate, he told his accounting class (not a real subject) that he want's a certain someone to not get there grade for physics so he can laugh at them on results day (ie me) after getting my offer, he had to write a report about me and in it he said that he feels getting an A for physics will be overwelming and that I will not get it

Either way, he's a ****ing ******* who I hope burns in hell
        I love that smiley.

ReputationRep:
        when do the exam boards publish the grade boundaries?

ReputationRep:
        No, he's a student. I don't know (m)any engineers, but you'll be very popular since you're the only people with access to the tools to make "engineers' pennies". Basically there's a drinking game (pennying) played at formal where if you get a penny into someone's glass of wine, they have to down it. Engineers' pennies are folded to fit into a bottle of wine - slip one of those in and they have to drink the lot! :woo:
        Don't think I'll be any good at drinking games being very petite but I might have a talent for making pennies

btw when I got the accommodation info it said there were a couple of rooms with no heating. I can't remember what sort of room I asked for - if I make my offer and get one of these rooms (having used up all my luck with my results) - are these rooms really bad?

Don't think I'll be any good at drinking games being very petite but I might have a talent for making pennies

btw when I got the accommodation info it said there were a couple of rooms with no heating. I can't remember what sort of room I asked for - if I make my offer and get one of these rooms (having used up all my luck with my results) - are these rooms really bad?
          I've never heard of rooms having no heating. :erm: In completing that form, you were asked to put the accommodation blocks in order of preference, and to say how much you'd pay, right?

In my case, I knew I didn't want to live in Foundress Court (the new building - Travelodge-style - from 1997), so I said I could afford everything below it. I can't remember what order I specified by way of preferences beyond that except I put Foundress at the bottom. I ended up living in New Court.

This year, I was on the waiting list for rooms along with my friend, so there was a variety of accommodation available. Despite being higher on the list than the unlucky girl at the bottom, he got a room in Foundress and not in the house which he'd put higher on his list of preferences. All I can conclude from these experiences is that the price you're willing to pay will play a factor, so you may be bumped into a more expensive room than your first choice (but not outside your price range!) if there's someone else who needs it. Does that make sense?

As for the heating in my room, New Court is Victorian and I was living on the top floor of a staircase. There was a radiator, but the College controls the heating so it was only on during the night (something like 10pm-8am, I think). It got very cold in winter, to the point where my parents brought my old duvet from home and I slept with two of them! :afraid: I'd recommend taking a sleeping bag since it'll be more compact and is designed for draughty conditions (and there's less chance of the bedders taking away your duvet by mistake, which happened to me!). Make sure you take hoodies and the like too.

Also, on the subject of hoodies, take plenty of cheques with you. You can buy "stash" for your subject and some societies, but I don't know how many accept cash. Places like the Union will find it easier to handle cheques too (the life membership fee is about £100). You can pay by Paypal but I think it's more hassle. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
          I've never heard of rooms having no heating. :erm: In completing that form, you were asked to put the accommodation blocks in order of preference, and to say how much you'd pay, right?

In my case, I knew I didn't want to live in Foundress Court (the new building - Travelodge-style - from 1997), so I said I could afford everything below it. I can't remember what order I specified by way of preferences beyond that except I put Foundress at the bottom. I ended up living in New Court.

This year, I was on the waiting list for rooms along with my friend, so there was a variety of accommodation available. Despite being higher on the list than the unlucky girl at the bottom, he got a room in Foundress and not in the house which he'd put higher on his list of preferences. All I can conclude from these experiences is that the price you're willing to pay will play a factor, so you may be bumped into a more expensive room than your first choice (but not outside your price range!) if there's someone else who needs it. Does that make sense?

As for the heating in my room, New Court is Victorian and I was living on the top floor of a staircase. There was a radiator, but the College controls the heating so it was only on during the night (something like 10pm-8am, I think). It got very cold in winter, to the point where my parents brought my old duvet from home and I slept with two of them! :afraid: I'd recommend taking a sleeping bag since it'll be more compact and is designed for draughty conditions (and there's less chance of the bedders taking away your duvet by mistake, which happened to me!). Make sure you take hoodies and the like too.

Also, on the subject of hoodies, take plenty of cheques with you. You can buy "stash" for your subject and some societies, but I don't know how many accept cash. Places like the Union will find it easier to handle cheques too (the life membership fee is about £100). You can pay by Paypal but I think it's more hassle. :dontknow:
          Thanks for all that info. I do feel the cold. A few weeks ago when it was reasonably warm at night I still needed 2 duvets together and when my mum took the lighter weight one away to give to my little bro who was complaining about the heat she thought I wouldn't notice - I did!

I didn't realise that the college would play god with the heating. My sister at Downing had the heating on 24/7 during the first term - she didn't realise she could turn it off and the windows open.

I can't remember anything about the accommodation choices I made. I think I put the most expensive last as I'm a bit frugal but as I get a full grant I get quite a good rent reduction (30% I think).

I can't believe they wouldn't take cash. I've never written a cheque.

Thanks for all that info. I do feel the cold. A few weeks ago when it was reasonably warm at night I still needed 2 duvets together and when my mum took the lighter weight one away to give to my little bro who was complaining about the heat she thought I wouldn't notice - I did!

I didn't realise that the college would play god with the heating. My sister at Downing had the heating on 24/7 during the first term - she didn't realise she could turn it off and the windows open.

I can't remember anything about the accommodation choices I made. I think I put the most expensive last as I'm a bit frugal but as I get a full grant I get quite a good rent reduction (30% I think).

I can't believe they wouldn't take cash. I've never written a cheque.
            Yeah, the College is pretty big on eco-stuff (including recycling), so it's keen to reduce the amount of energy wasted. I wasn't prepared for the cold after Christmas so in March I went to see Housekeeping about getting a heater. You can borrow them, but I think you have to sign them out and swear you'll turn them off every time you leave your room and the like. Since the College is quite liberal in giving out fines (£70 for setting off a smoke alarm, regardless of the explanation), I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

You can get a further reduction in your rent if you volunteer to be a "Fire Warden" for your staircase. I think you get 15% off - the job entails emptying the four recycling boxes once a week/fortnight and signing some kind of "I've checked the fire alarms" log. I worked out that it was equivalent to a couple of pounds a week though and decided that it wasn't worth my while considering it entails sorting through other people's rubbish (including leaking milk cartons and pesto jars). Sometimes what you find can be fairly grim...

ReputationRep:
            It got very cold in winter, to the point where my parents brought my old duvet from home and I slept with two of them! :afraid: I'd recommend taking a sleeping bag since it'll be more compact and is designed for draughty conditions (and there's less chance of the bedders taking away your duvet by mistake, which happened to me!). Make sure you take hoodies and the like too.

This is scaring me now...
            I have lived most my life in countries where in the Summer your temperature ranges from 35 degrees Celcius to 55 degrees Celcius (Yes, that is correct, 35 Degrees MINIMUM)
            The Winter is usually nice, between 18 Degrees to 35 degrees normally (for a couple weeks it may go down to about 12 at night but that's rare).

SO the fact that you live in Britain and am saying you get cold worries me.
            I'm screwed xD.

(Original post by kpatb)
              I have lived most my life in countries where in the Summer your temperature ranges from 35 degrees Celcius to 55 degrees Celcius (Yes, that is correct, 35 Degrees MINIMUM)
              The Winter is usually nice, between 18 Degrees to 35 degrees normally (for a couple weeks it may go down to about 12 at night but that's rare).

I'm screwed xD.

It's fine - I'm just a freak! :lol:

Which College are you going to? Things vary slightly between them, so you might be able to get a heater or something. If you're coming from abroad, it might be sensible to get another quilt when you get here to save luggage space - there's a pretty big Asda on the outskirts which will probably sell them cheaply. :yes:

(Which country is it? Somewhere near the Equator, I imagine!)

ReputationRep:
              (Original post by kpatb)

I'm screwed xD.
              Well I was born in Greece and am half greek!! My dad wears thermal vests all year round in England.

Cambridge is actually warmer than many parts of England normally though it was -6 when I had my interview (probably accounts for my terrible first interview - frozen brain).

Definately invest in thermals.

ReputationRep:
              It's fine - I'm just a freak! :lol:

Which College are you going to? Things vary slightly between them, so you might be able to get a heater or something. If you're coming from abroad, it might be sensible to get another quilt when you get here to save luggage space - there's a pretty big Asda on the outskirts which will probably sell them cheaply. :yes:

(Which country is it? Somewhere near the Equator, I imagine!)
              Christ's
              It's okay, if it gets that bad I will go to the Porters and whinge like a 5 year old girl for so long that they'll just fed up with me and be forced to give me a heater 0

To be fair, when I was there for interview, the room was lovely and the heater was just right btu that was in New Court which is all relatively new. Just a bit worried about some of the older rooms.

Thank you for the idea though, I think I'll just stop by at Asda and buy one incase (That's a good idea, thank you Tortious!)

And I've moved through various countries in the Middle East! But I'm Indian and that too I come from a place in South India just off the Equator. Thank god I've traveled a lot, so I'm okay at dealing with lots of temperatures!

ReputationRep:
              Well I was born in Greece and am half greek!! My dad wears thermal vests all year round in England.

Cambridge is actually warmer than many parts of England normally though it was -6 when I had my interview (probably accounts for my terrible first interview - frozen brain).

Definately invest in thermals.
              Thermals = The Sexy underwear of cold countries. :P

On a more serious note, my friend is at St John's and a year older (who used to also live here), he said that Cambridge is actually one of the drier parts of England and it's only a few months of the year during TERM time that it's very cold.

So I'm not too worried.
              I think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.