Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, you don't want everyone to use your points or else the examiner will get bored etc, they want unique ideas, which is really annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avor)
    anyone?
    No. As long as your points are connected and perceptive then surely you cannot. However i hope crooks wasnt the only character mentioned as he has less power and the question asked who had power, so hopefully you balanced it out with slim...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersson)
    Oh, I didn't know some people did it like that. So you've completed all of English Literature GCSE now, well done!
    Yup, thanks! It's quite scary actually, just English Language to go and then English gcses are done! :eek:
    Best of luck for poetry, I don't really remember it too much, is it about conflict- Moon of the Tides? Comparing poems?

ReputationRep:
    Please could somebody help me and answer this - I'm really upset:/
    I answered the question on 'An Inspector Calls' and I answered a question on a character called Eric. However the question was along the lines of Eric is described as 'half-shy, half-assertive and a little unsure of himself'
    Explain how this and other ideas in the play are used to present Priestley's ideas about Eric,
    and I wrote a really good essay, but I didn't mention the quotation given:/ is this going to affect my marks as it counts as not directly answering the question? Is a C the most I can now get on this section?
    Please could somebody respond to this as soon as possible

Posted this twice: just wanted to see what other people thought...

ReputationRep:
    Took the passage on Slim on Friday and analysed the techniques and created an essay plan. Opened up the exam to find the exact same passage - hallelujah!

I'm not sure that my essay for Q2(b) is just as strong but I was quite happy with the other 3.

Did anyone else choose to write about the relationship between Jim and the boy from the short stories anthology? I chose it because I didn't think many others would, and I had an essay planned for it and think it was pretty insightful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avor)
    Im not sure if i did enough for the second question!

MICE&MEN

his knowledge on 'politics or love' highlight Slim's character
    Much like a politician he has business-like efficiency. However, 'love' is a more abstract topic, requiring empathy. This is shown when he is described as having a 'gentle voice'.
    i wrote all the rest of the standard stuff
    Part b: When Slim turned on the 'electric light', the table near him was 'bright' but the corners of the bunkhouse were 'still in dusk'. I said this shows the light is brightest where he is, and darker as you move away. This suggests he is the core of the ranch and a figure of inspiration. People may have seen him as a figure of inspiration. Despite the harsh 1930s economic depression, people still had some optimism due to Roosevelt's New deal and the 3Rs: relief, recovery and reform.

I also talked about crooks and how the ranch workers thought he was better than him i wrote about 750 - 800 words in total?
    please, anybody's opinion on this, ima bit worried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avor)
    anyone?
    Well, your answer needs to be quite critical. The mark scheme wants the following from an A*-A candidate (if you had done some of the following, then even if you were unsuccessful in doing so, you should expect to get a B in your unit 1 exam):

- Alternative viewpoints: this means that you can give different interpretations from one quotation.

- Thoughtful: this is when you explain quotes by saying "this implicates" or "this suggests" instead of using definite language such as "this clarifies".

- Considerate: this is basically when you thoughtfully express steinbecks intentions and the message in which he wanted to present.

-Evaluate: links to consideration and alternative viewpoints, however you need to evaluate it by choosing which one you believe to be true.

- write alot about a little: i.e. write alot about the fact that slim is described as "tall" or "majestic" etc..

In order to implement the aspects from the marking criterion within your essay then it is logical that you would need to have written quite alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha792)
    Yup, thanks! It's quite scary actually, just English Language to go and then English gcses are done! :eek:
    Best of luck for poetry, I don't really remember it too much, is it about conflict- Moon of the Tides? Comparing poems?
    Exactly - it's nice because we can be fairly certain what poems will come up based on what has previously come up.

ReputationRep:
    With poetry is there any chance of a poem coming up 2 years in a row... E.g in the June 2012 and then being in this years exams ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hebburn97)
    Anyone do 'The Crucible' exam today? John and Elizabeth Proctor?
    The other question seemed about 10% harder than this one to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersson)
    Exactly - it's nice because we can be fairly certain what poems will come up based on what has previously come up.
    True - hopefully the questions that you want to come up will but try and revise over everything just in case

ReputationRep:
    Which Character and Voice poems have already been used in previous exams?

ReputationRep:
    What characters and themes should I revise for Romeo and Juliet and Animal Farm and what is likely to come?
    This is for English Literature Unit 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwf13)
    Not sure if I'm an A* candidate but I wrote:

- The opening quote show's he's hiding someone and he's quite awkward, and this could show he was immature. I linked this with the 'intimate' lighting and how he's avoiding responsibility.

- He's shown as someone who drinks too much and Priestley uses this to show the link between religion and Christianity. He shows gluttony (he's drinking and overindulging while other people are dying of starvation).

- He becomes more mature and passionate at the end which shows the generational gap, but it could also be argued he hadn't actually matured because he was 'laughing'.
    Sounds good. I did the same thing as you wrote in your first paragraph - eric being awkward. I'm not too sure about what you said about it link

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a really stupid question, but how well do they want you to stick to the question? I did one of The Lord of the flies questions, and it was something like this:"Ralph wept for the end of innocence. How do you respond to this, and what is Golding portraying?"
    Anyway, I basically said that Golding deliberately used innocence to force the reader to consider the loss of innocence in the novel, and then went on talk about the rest of the novel. And then did the same for the idea of endings. And now I'm really worried that I'll get a really low mark, as I haven't really answer the question. What kind of mark could I get - bearing in mind that I've done close analysis and all that?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I did "Of Mice and Men" in Section B but didn't use any quotes for question (b). How many marks do you think will be deducted from me? I wrote a lot, just did not add any quotes on question (b).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JozefKPilsudski)
    Hi. I did "Of Mice and Men" in Section B but didn't use any quotes for question (b). How many marks do you think will be deducted from me? I wrote a lot, just did not add any quotes on question (b).
    depends if you analysed quotes in part a, if you did, and analysed them closely, then,

you should at most lose 3-4 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avor)
    please, anybody's opinion on this, ima bit worried
    posting this again, any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    ok great. I used quotes frequently in part (a) so I suppose it's not a big deal. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabz_x)
    Which Character and Voice poems have already been used in previous exams?

June 2011:
    Foundation -Singh Song and Brendon Gallacher
    Higher -My Last Duchess and Medusa

Jan 2012:
    Foundation -The Clown Punk and My Last Duchess
    Higher - The Clown Punk and The Hunchback in the Park

June 2012:
    Foundation -The Horse Whisperer and The River God
    Higher -Checking Out Me History and Ozymandias

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.