Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2141
Original post by Lizziec02
My AS grades were: AAAA
And my predicted are: AAA
I know that my predicted grades are lower than the offer so it's most likely gonna be a rejection, but as I haven't heard either way I'm clinging to some hope!!
What about you?

AABB at AS and A*AA predicted. Your AS grades are really good so maybe they giving your application more of a read? It's comforting knowing other people are waiting.
I am thinking of applying to Durham, for a History and Modern Languages degree. At the minute, I am a Year 9 student, just about to choose my options around March time. It's quite daunting, but I just want to make the right choices because the wrong ones may get me into a predicament. Right now I am studying two languages French and Spanish, our school is allowing us to take two, but would it be better or more beneficial for me to do another essay based subject like Geography, rather than an extra language? At the minute my school is allowing the whole year to do nine GCSE's.

Right know what I am picking is:English Language
English Literature
Combined Science (2 GCSE's)
Mathematics
Religious Studies
French
History
Geography

If I had the option French would be my preferred subject, and I could see myself doing it for three years at university and going abroad to learn more about the language. I'm sorry if it may seem a bit far-fetched as I am only in Year 9 and a long way from university, I just want to make sure I have the right options from the go! Thank you for all the help!

Harry
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SMer
AABB at AS and A*AA predicted. Your AS grades are really good so maybe they giving your application more of a read? It's comforting knowing other people are waiting.

Please say you're applying for History

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SMer
Thanks! Now I'm worried ha, applied for history in October

To be honest I don't even know how I got an offer. They might be just really deliberating really hard whether to give you an offer because otherwise you should get a rejection so I guess no news is good news.
Reply 2145
Original post by eleanorelodie
Please say you're applying for History

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! Applied Oct 22nd
Reply 2146
Original post by lukmanmiah
To be honest I don't even know how I got an offer. They might be just really deliberating really hard whether to give you an offer because otherwise you should get a rejection so I guess no news is good news.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not? I'm really impatient.
Original post by SMer
Yep! Applied Oct 22nd

I applied at the start of November! 😪

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2148
I applied at the start of November! 😪

Posted from TSR Mobile

All there is to do is overthink and wait!
Original post by harrypblack
I am thinking of applying to Durham, for a History and Modern Languages degree. At the minute, I am a Year 9 student, just about to choose my options around March time. It's quite daunting, but I just want to make the right choices because the wrong ones may get me into a predicament. Right now I am studying two languages French and Spanish, our school is allowing us to take two, but would it be better or more beneficial for me to do another essay based subject like Geography, rather than an extra language? At the minute my school is allowing the whole year to do nine GCSE's.

Right know what I am picking is:English Language
English Literature
Combined Science (2 GCSE's)
Mathematics
Religious Studies
French
History
Geography

If I had the option French would be my preferred subject, and I could see myself doing it for three years at university and going abroad to learn more about the language. I'm sorry if it may seem a bit far-fetched as I am only in Year 9 and a long way from university, I just want to make sure I have the right options from the go! Thank you for all the help!

Harry

If I were you I'd choose to study 2 languages if you want to do languages at uni, it was an opportunity that I was never given and I think you have been very fortunate. The more languages you speak the easier you will find studying languages, and you'll have the opportunity to do 2 languages at A level if you still want to do the same thing. During my A level French lessons I have to write essays, so would say that geography won't benefit you that much if you're looking to simply improve your essay writing skills - except that a lot of people do geography with history. If you prefer Spanish do Spanish, it's up to you. I didn't go GCSE geography and it hasn't impacted me at all (I chose GCSE music over geography and would say GCSE geography looks better but you have to do what you enjoy).

Also look at it this way, languages open so many doors when it comes to working abroad and look very impressive. Personally I never enjoyed geography at school and don't regret my choice. You don't technically need Spanish to study it at uni alongside French though as you can learn it from scratch - but do you want to be great at it or mediocre?

I'm a maths offer holder and enjoy being able to say I can also speak French. Languages are a joy you will have for the rest of your life.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't even mind if I receive a rejection, I'd just like to know now! 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same I just want to know now !!
Just got rejected for History :frown:
Reply 2152

Me to, I've glad I've finally heard but it's really upset me:frown:

me too , where else have you applied
Hey guys, I've heard back from all my other unis so now I'm just waiting to hear back from Durham. Did everyone else get an email from admissions about having to prove you've lived in the UK for the past three/five years? I found the wording of it a bit strange since they haven't given me an offer but I'm probably looking into things too much haha
Original post by SMer
Me to, I've glad I've finally heard but it's really upset me:frown:

What are your stats?

What are your stats?
Nervous now 😥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2158
Original post by lukmanmiah
What are your stats?

GCSE: 2 A*, 4A's and 6B's
AS: A(93 UMS)A(100)B(78) and B(73)
Predicted: A*AA
Sort of expected it but still would've loved to have gone to Durham.
Original post by SMer
GCSE: 2 A*, 4A's and 6B's
AS: A(93 UMS)A(100)B(78) and B(73)
Predicted: A*AA
Sort of expected it but still would've loved to have gone to Durham.

I have very very similar grades to you!! I'm definitely expecting it now. Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending