Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukmanmiah)
    What's an Uzbek? I heard about the students being really pompous before I applied but I just assumed it was the minority.
    It's my ethnicity.

All the Oxbridge rejects from boarding school reunite at Durham. It's 70% of the students, not 100%, but the large majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukmanmiah;[url="tel:63235657")
    63235657[/url]]Yeah with Durham you almost get the full experience too because you can stay at the college you chose. Dreading the journey there though
    Yeah exactly you get the full experience and see how it'd feel to be there and the kind of people you'd be with! Me too, I think it's like 5 hours for me, I'm right down south. Although I guess we'd get to see how bad the journey Really is to see what it'd be like to visit home etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DinduCoffin;[url="tel:63235805")
    63235805[/url]]It's my ethnicity.

All the Oxbridge rejects from boarding school reunite at Durham. It's 70% of the students, not 100%, but the large majority.
    I've heard Durham has a bit of a reputation for being the 'Oxford rejects' and people are 'snooty' etc, but I feel this must be a huge generalisation as not a Whole uni can be like that. I mean, everyone on here seems nice... But this rumour is putting me off a little bit..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DinduCoffin)
    It's my ethnicity.

Oh right. I was quite worried about that but I didn't want to believe in the stereotype of Durham students just being Oxbridge rejects. I'll see how it goes when I go for an offer day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyismyname)
    I've heard Durham has a bit of a reputation for being the 'Oxford rejects' and people are 'snooty' etc, but I feel this must be a huge generalisation as not a Whole uni can be like that. I mean, everyone on here seems nice... But this rumour is putting me off a little bit..
    Well, it's the majority unfortunately. The university is run by posh kids.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly you get the full experience and see how it'd feel to be there and the kind of people you'd be with! Me too, I think it's like 5 hours for me, I'm right down south. Although I guess we'd get to see how bad the journey Really is to see what it'd be like to visit home etc!
    Yeah that should be good. Although last time I got a bit lost when I arrived at Durham so hopefully it goes well this time

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. I was quite worried about that but I didn't want to believe in the stereotype of Durham students just being Oxbridge rejects. I'll see how it goes when I go for an offer day.
    Yeah, you'll see for yourself. But it's the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you'll see for yourself. But it's the truth.
    What did you think Durham would be like before you started?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukmanmiah;[url="tel:63235999")
    63235999[/url]]Yeah that should be good. Although last time I got a bit lost when I arrived at Durham so hopefully it goes well this time
    Yeah, second time lucky?

ReputationRep:
    What did you think Durham would be like before you started?
    Cambridge like but more multi-ethnic, with people from all economic backgrounds.

It's mostly white boarding school kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DinduCoffin;[url="tel:63235991")
    63235991[/url]]Well, it's the majority unfortunately. The university is run by posh kids.
    I don't really mind posh, no one can help their background. But I do mind arrogant or people who're 'up themselves', but it's difficult to know what to believe

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, second time lucky?
    Yeah hopefully because this this time I'll arrive during the day whereas last time I arrived at night and there was no people around.

ReputationRep:
    Stay away from Durham. Full of Arrogant, Mediocre, Boarding School Kids.
    I'm still waiting for a response from them but I have heard that rumour, it's a bit worrying but hopefully it's just a rumour:/ I'm used to being in environments where I'm the odd one out in terms of ethnicity and not all posh people are arrogant so I don't mind that as long as they're friendly..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Oh I'm sorry hope you get into your other unis and good luck!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Recieved an unconditional offer on Thursday for Ancient civilisations and Archaeology (BA) so anyone worrying about their GCSE grades, I wouldn't because mine where ****. So they mustn't take them too much into consideration. 😁 also how long have people been waiting to hear about college allocation after they've got an offer

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard back for eng lit yet 😁 starting to panic now

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer last week for history but I woudnt worry, they take ages to reply.
    When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMer)
    When did you apply?
    Late November

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cd1995)
    Recieved an unconditional offer on Thursday for Ancient civilisations and Archaeology (BA) so anyone worrying about their GCSE grades, I wouldn't because mine where ****. So they mustn't take them too much into consideration. 😁 also how long have people been waiting to hear about college allocation after they've got an offer
    Congrats!!! Do you mind me asking what your AS grades are???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Late November
    Thanks! Now I'm worried ha, applied for history in October

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.