Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noey123)
    am struggling with drugs can some outline and evaluate them for me
    is this for stress management or for the abnormality section?

Abnormality:

- AO1: chlorpromazine used for schizophrenia in the 50's. reduced symptoms eg. hallucinations and delusions. worked by lowering dopamine levels AO2: side effects such as movement disorders

- AO1: clozapine used more recently for schizophrenia. Deemed safer and fewer side effect. Reduces dopamine and serotonin levels AO2: side effects eg. WBC count decreases therefore lower immunity

further AO2: - problems with informed consent - how far can someone having delusions consent to taking drugs? however it can be argued that they are a danger to themselves so should be prescribed them anyway

another ao2: treats symptoms not cause. symptoms return in 80% of patients when they stop taking the medication

- Ao1: MAOI's used to treat depression. Work by raising serotonin and noradrenaline levels. AO2: can interact with food groups and cause intolerance

- Ao1: SSRI's: selectively raise serotonin levels in brain. AO2: safer and more effective than MAOI's

-AO1: BZ's used to treat anxiety: raise levels of GABA, the body's natural anxiety relief hormone. AO2: addictive even in low doses which can lead to dependency.

+ as an extra ECT. AO1: small electric shock sent to brain. this causes a small seizure. it resets the body's neurotransmitter levels. Effective in 75% cases of depression. AO2: unethical- can result in death/injury. Long term consequences vastly unknown.

I can outline drugs/ biological stress management if you want too, lemme know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whilerisleeps)
    is this for stress management or for the abnormality section?

Abnormality:

- AO1: chlorpromazine used for schizophrenia in the 50's. reduced symptoms eg. hallucinations and delusions. worked by lowering dopamine levels AO2: side effects such as movement disorders

- AO1: clozapine used more recently for schizophrenia. Deemed safer and fewer side effect. Reduces dopamine and serotonin levels AO2: side effects eg. WBC count decreases therefore lower immunity

further AO2: - problems with informed consent - how far can someone having delusions consent to taking drugs? however it can be argued that they are a danger to themselves so should be prescribed them anyway

another ao2: treats symptoms not cause. symptoms return in 80% of patients when they stop taking the medication

- Ao1: MAOI's used to treat depression. Work by raising serotonin and noradrenaline levels. AO2: can interact with food groups and cause intolerance

- Ao1: SSRI's: selectively raise serotonin levels in brain. AO2: safer and more effective than MAOI's

-AO1: BZ's used to treat anxiety: raise levels of GABA, the body's natural anxiety relief hormone. AO2: addictive even in low doses which can lead to dependency.

+ as an extra ECT. AO1: small electric shock sent to brain. this causes a small seizure. it resets the body's neurotransmitter levels. Effective in 75% cases of depression. AO2: unethical- can result in death/injury. Long term consequences vastly unknown.

I can outline drugs/ biological stress management if you want too, lemme know
    oh yes please thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimsnaywux)
    spending my whole day revising for the paper so could anybody quote me with links to good online resources please !! would be a massive help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I like this website http://www.psychbug.co.uk/ hope it helps in some way. The cue cards are good.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone made predictions for tomorrows paper?

ReputationRep:
    is the exam am or pm? I forgot my exam time table in school lmao

ReputationRep:
    has anyone made predictions for tomorrows paper?
    Loopa made some on their website!

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to know all of Jahoda's criteria for ideal mental health? I've only explained one of them which is personal autonomy. Do I also need to know environmental mastery and self-actualisation ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hereticalpilgrim)
    is the exam am or pm? I forgot my exam time table in school lmao
    The exam is in the afternoon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shamzy25)
    Do we need to know all of Jahoda's criteria for ideal mental health? I've only explained one of them which is personal autonomy. Do I also need to know environmental mastery and self-actualisation ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think if you explain two in detail that should be ok???

ReputationRep:
    Loopa made some on their website!
    can you give me the link please

ReputationRep:
    I've got social influence yet to go over :/ just finishing stress and abnormality, definitely left it too late

ReputationRep:
    I think if you explain two in detail that should be ok???
    I think you need to know 3 and their description in brief

ReputationRep:
    oh yes please thank you so much
    1) Benzodiazapines: the most commonly prescribed drugs used to treat stress and anxiety disorders. Examples inc. Librium and Valium. They slow down the activity of the CNS.

- they increase activity of neurotransmitter GABA (the body's natural form of anxiety relief
    - GABA's role is to reduce the activity of other neurotransmitters making you feel more relaxed
    - Reduced serotonin and noradrenaline are particularly important in reducing stress and anxiety

AO2: Kahn et al: followed 250 patients over 8 weeks. BZ's superior to placebo. He then did a meta analysis and found BZ's were more effective at reducing anxiety than other drugs

AO2: Addiction: BZ's cal lead to physical dependance, even in low doses. Symptoms inc. sleeping problems, sweating, tremors. Can only be taken for short period of time

AO2: side effects: tiredness, memory impairment, inc aggression. This may interfere with day to day life eg. in their job this could create problems.

2) Beta Blockers: act directly on heart and circulatory system (rather than the brain as BZ's do)

- stress leads to the arousal of the body e.g. inc heart rate, raised blood pressure etc.
    -reduces sympathetic arousal
    -BB's bind to cells of the heart(if you do biology its the receptor cell stuff if not don't worry) which are normally stimulated during arousal.
    - This blocks the chance of the cell being stimulated
    - This reduces the level of adrenaline and noradrenaline
    - decreases heart rate and lowers BP
    - Person feels calmer. Symptoms decreased.
    - Often used by sportsmen and musicians to calm nerves and shakes etc.

AO2 for both: ease of use: little effort required by users and quick to take effect vs psychological methods e.g. SIT which requires time, motivation and can be expensive. BB's can have a life saving effect in people with life threatening hypertension

AO2: treats symptoms not cause. when you stop taking them, symptoms return. makes no attempt to target source of stress so do not develop effective coping strategies. Think of it like a plaster on a bullet hole. Helps a little bit but doesn't fix the problem. (okay that was an awful analogy I'm pretty sure its meant to be used in some other context)

any questions lemme know x

ReputationRep:
    can you give me the link please
    here u go! http://www.loopa.co.uk/as-psychology...edictions-aqa/

you have to like unlock it by liking it but i don't have fb so i can't see it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluorescentM)
    I've got social influence yet to go over :/ just finishing stress and abnormality, definitely left it too late
    you still have time don't worry!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluorescentM)
    I think you need to know 3 and their description in brief
    aahh okay thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HemmingsHood)
    I like this website http://www.psychbug.co.uk/ hope it helps in some way. The cue cards are good.

wonderful! thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whilerisleeps)
    1) Benzodiazapines: the most commonly prescribed drugs used to treat stress and anxiety disorders. Examples inc. Librium and Valium. They slow down the activity of the CNS.

- they increase activity of neurotransmitter GABA (the body's natural form of anxiety relief
    - GABA's role is to reduce the activity of other neurotransmitters making you feel more relaxed
    - Reduced serotonin and noradrenaline are particularly important in reducing stress and anxiety

AO2: Kahn et al: followed 250 patients over 8 weeks. BZ's superior to placebo. He then did a meta analysis and found BZ's were more effective at reducing anxiety than other drugs

AO2: Addiction: BZ's cal lead to physical dependance, even in low doses. Symptoms inc. sleeping problems, sweating, tremors. Can only be taken for short period of time

AO2: side effects: tiredness, memory impairment, inc aggression. This may interfere with day to day life eg. in their job this could create problems.

2) Beta Blockers: act directly on heart and circulatory system (rather than the brain as BZ's do)

- stress leads to the arousal of the body e.g. inc heart rate, raised blood pressure etc.
    -reduces sympathetic arousal
    -BB's bind to cells of the heart(if you do biology its the receptor cell stuff if not don't worry) which are normally stimulated during arousal.
    - This blocks the chance of the cell being stimulated
    - This reduces the level of adrenaline and noradrenaline
    - decreases heart rate and lowers BP
    - Person feels calmer. Symptoms decreased.
    - Often used by sportsmen and musicians to calm nerves and shakes etc.

AO2 for both: ease of use: little effort required by users and quick to take effect vs psychological methods e.g. SIT which requires time, motivation and can be expensive. BB's can have a life saving effect in people with life threatening hypertension

AO2: treats symptoms not cause. when you stop taking them, symptoms return. makes no attempt to target source of stress so do not develop effective coping strategies. Think of it like a plaster on a bullet hole. Helps a little bit but doesn't fix the problem. (okay that was an awful analogy I'm pretty sure its meant to be used in some other context)

any questions lemme know x
    thank you so much!! x

ReputationRep:
    For the sympathomedullary pathway (SAM) I've said that the hypothalamus activated the SNS which travels to the adrenal medulla which releases adrenaline and noradrenaline, stimulating the fight or flight response. The effects of this include dilated pupils, increased heart rate and blood pressure and impaired digestion. If this is constant then it may lead to a heart attack or heart disease.

Is this enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if there is a question on outline and evaluate independent behavior what studies do we use?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.