Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Still looking for the other trainees who will be starting in Genomics/Bioinformatics (Genomics) in Newcastle!

Would love to say hello before September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicTurtle)
    Hey guys, has anyone been able to find out the university that is providing the Genomics course for 2016 trainees? I know it hadn't been announced a while ago and still can't seem to find it.
    I emailed and they said it has yet to be confirmed but is likely to be Manchester. Has anyone else has the same response?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMissKatiex)
    I emailed and they said it has yet to be confirmed but is likely to be Manchester. Has anyone else has the same response?
    When I asked a couple of weeks ago they just said "there is no information yet regarding which university". I guess we just have to wait!

I also asked them when our details are getting passed onto the trusts and they said it would be this week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMissKatiex)
    If it is Manchester I might end up doing some of the same modules as I have done this year! Some of the Bioinformatics STP students have been in a couple of my modules so wouldn't be surprised if it was the same with Genomics next year.

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in Manchester for the past 3 years and I am training in South Manchester to do Gastro from Sept (my uni is Newcastle) so if anyone has any questions regarding nice areas to live then just ask! I currently live in Salford,about a 10/15min walk from the city centre and work at The University of Manchester so I know most of the popular areas to live quite well

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! I got the offer for Clinical Biochemistry at Leeds (a while back now, and I've been twiddling my thumbs since), and I was curious whether anyone knows what roughly the timescale is from now to when the trusts get in touch? I tried emailing the NSHCS but they've not got back to me - does it take them a while to process emails? Also, would anyone have any knowledge of how flexible trusts are with start dates? I have a friend who started last year and was able to push back her start date at the hospital until after the lecture block, but I wonder if that's a rare exception.

It would also be great to get in touch with any other STPs that will be training at Leeds or nearby!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyldin)
    Hey all! I got the offer for Clinical Biochemistry at Leeds (a while back now, and I've been twiddling my thumbs since), and I was curious whether anyone knows what roughly the timescale is from now to when the trusts get in touch? I tried emailing the NSHCS but they've not got back to me - does it take them a while to process emails? Also, would anyone have any knowledge of how flexible trusts are with start dates? I have a friend who started last year and was able to push back her start date at the hospital until after the lecture block, but I wonder if that's a rare exception.

It would also be great to get in touch with any other STPs that will be training at Leeds or nearby!
    We (a receiving department!) have only just been told about our outcomes, so will be sorting the posts out over the coming week or so. I'm guessing our HR department will be contacting our candidates over the same period.
    The performance or hospital HR departments does vary considerably though! Plus, I'm not sure that all receiving departments have been informed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyldin)

Hi glydin,
    Congratulations on your offer, is this your first time applying for Biochemistry?what is your background if you dont mind me asking and will you be relocating from far?
    I am looking to apply maybe in the same discpline next year and was wondering if you could give me a bit of info as to how I could improve my application and what I can do in the yeat to help?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I got an email today with my trainers details so they should have ours now.

I don't imagine HR will be processing anything yet but it is good to know things are moving now!xo.

ReputationRep:
    On request the NSHCS forwarded the details for my trust contact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB_MedPhys)
    Is anyone on here going to do Radiotherapy Physics in Liverpool?
    Hi there! Im not doing radiotherapy physics but Im guessing you got through to the programme? I was just wondering if you could share any knowledge on the application and interview process? I really want to apply next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hurriya23)
    Hi glydin,
    Congratulations on your offer, is this your first time applying for Biochemistry?what is your background if you dont mind me asking and will you be relocating from far?
    I am looking to apply maybe in the same discpline next year and was wondering if you could give me a bit of info as to how I could improve my application and what I can do in the yeat to help?
    Yep, I was first time lucky, couldn't believe it if I'm honest. I'm finishing a PhD in molecular biology at the moment, and my undergrad was biochemistry. I picked Leeds as my first preference because that's where I live at the moment, so I won't be relocating at all. But I definitely would have if I had to.

What helped me a lot I think was a 3-month internship I did as part of my PhD at a hospital, where I did research but also sat in on clinics, went on ward rounds etc, so any experience in a hospital setting I think is a great plus.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=gyldin;65219849]Yep, I was first time lucky, couldn't believe it if I'm honest. I'm finishing a PhD in molecular biology at the moment, and my undergrad was biochemistry. I picked Leeds as my first preference because that's where I live at the moment, so I won't be relocating at all. But I definitely would have if I had to.

What helped me a lot I think was a 3-month internship I did as part of my PhD at a hospital, where I did research but also sat in on clinics, went on ward rounds etc, so any experience in a hospital setting I think is a great plus.[/QUOTE
    That is really good congrats especially first time round and your first preferred location! I'v private messaged you

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone actually receive any feedback yet? I emailed the feedback email quite a while ago and I've not heard beyond acknowledgement of my email!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightwing_)
    Did anyone actually receive any feedback yet? I emailed the feedback email quite a while ago and I've not heard beyond acknowledgement of my email!
    I got my feedback about 2 weeks ago for biochemistry. I got asked to supply i.d and i got the feedback about 20 minutes later. Although you email another address it is the NSHCS that act on the information request so maybe there is a backlog of people requesting their feedback now?

ReputationRep:
    Hey - anyone going to a trust in London - do you know what the extra supplementary wage Is to compensate for the high costs of living in london? I believe it's 20% of the salary so around £5k but need some confirmation before I start house hunting! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagsworth)
    I got my feedback about 2 weeks ago for biochemistry. I got asked to supply i.d and i got the feedback about 20 minutes later. Although you email another address it is the NSHCS that act on the information request so maybe there is a backlog of people requesting their feedback now?
    Funny, wonder why it is taking so long for them to get back to me, I didn't send i.d. at the time but they haven't asked me for it yet. Guess I'll just have to sit and wait, it's not like it's really going to help me until next year anyway I guess!!!!!

How did you find your feedback? Do you think it will give you a better chance next year (or did you get on this year?)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaaadele)
    Hey - anyone going to a trust in London - do you know what the extra supplementary wage Is to compensate for the high costs of living in london? I believe it's 20% of the salary so around £5k but need some confirmation before I start house hunting! Thanks
    https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/abo...ange-pay-rates

Inner London is 20%, outer london 15%, fringe 5%.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Congratulations to everyone who got places. Just after a bit of advice for next year as I wasn't shortlisted this year: what sort of experience and degrees did everyone have/do that were successful? I'm about to graduate with a Biochemistry degree and am going to apply for a support worker job at my local haematology lab that offered a place for the STP this year so I'm hoping this will boost my application next year. Any tips will be much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welly909)
    https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/abo...ange-pay-rates

Inner London is 20%, outer london 15%, fringe 5%.
    Ahh thank you so much. Is this automatic on your salary?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.