Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2016 Entry MK II

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    It would appear that all is not what it seems. I'd like to know the % of remarks that go down actually.
    doubt that figure would be useful since there's a new remark style now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    doubt that figure would be useful since there's a new remark style now
    Yes. I can only speak for 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krishdesai7)
    Peeps, I have a question: are remarks a thing for STEP also? Does it usually make any difference? How's it done?
    Yeah, as per jneill, appeals are a (rare) thing but rarely bear any fruit and is barely used. For the most part, your initial step result is your final step result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yeah, as per jneill, appeals are a (rare) thing but rarely bear any fruit and is barely used. For the most part, your initial step result is your final step result.
    Is appealing if you miss out by a couple of marks though worth it? i.e. would it be detrimental to Cambridges final decision process because of time delays caused by the remark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Is appealing if you miss out by a couple of marks though worth it? i.e. would it be detrimental to Cambridges final decision process because of time delays caused by the remark?
    Probably best to ask the CAT. (Assuming you are still talking about STEP.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Probably best to ask the CAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you think the mark is incorrect, appeal! One of mine went up by 8 UMS last year, and another by 6 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    I would explore all remark options first: get a priority remark ASAP. I would also let your college's admissions tutor know now if you think you may have missed your offer. I would definitely appeal if you're tantalisingly close to your offer even after remarks.
    I was 7 UMS off my A*AA offer (I got AAA) and wasn't allowed in (they do make more offers than they have places because they foresee this happening and know that not all offer-holders will get the grades). I would say go for it though as you'd have nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    If you think the mark is incorrect, appeal! One of mine went up by 8 UMS last year, and another by 6 UMS.
    I think he meant STEP and not A levels.

(Original post by Questioner1234)
    One of mine went up 46 marks to 100% UMS. If it wasn't for that remark I wouldn't have applied to Cambridge at all. UMS average went from 95ish to 99.5ish! Hoping my results are right this year at least last year I had time for the appeal!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow...Was this a science subject?

ReputationRep:
    One of mine went up 46 marks to 100% UMS. If it wasn't for that remark I wouldn't have applied to Cambridge at all. UMS average went from 95ish to 99.5ish! Hoping my results are right this year at least last year I had time for the appeal!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, how did that happen? Did they miss out entire pages or what

ReputationRep:
    I still have no idea because I asked for the script back as well as a remark and the initial mark on the front corresponded to a different UMS than I was initially given so I think it may have been a clerical error.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    With a remark you get ur script back. The exams office probably has it.
    I didnt know I was in the exams office and seen an M2 paper with my name, and it was my remarked one hehe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He's talking about STEP not A2. The colleges receive the full scripts for STEP anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I still have no idea because I asked for the script back as well as a remark and the initial mark on the front corresponded to a different UMS than I was initially given so I think it may have been a clerical error.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Damn that's some crazy error though
    Good thing it was so drastically different to what you expected actually, if it was only slightly lower you wouldn't have realised the error!
    I hope nothing like that happens again, must be very nerve-wracking

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do tend to go up. All of mine either remained the same or increased. I hardly ever hear stories of marks/grades decreasing with remarks. The only way is up it would seem
    If only I had know this last year...

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the process of booking my flight tickets to London for the end of September. Is anyone here going to any events prior to the official introweek starting? My college says to arrive by afternoon September 30th so I've thought about getting a flight the morning of the 30th but I'm still unsure about whether or not I should reserve a day or two for pre-arrival hijinks.

Biology

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah maybe they miscounted or something

Lol I'll cut up my 'uni spending' savings tin for remarks if I have to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    If only I had know this last year...
    Several people at my school have had remarks go down. It's definitely not a one way street

(Original post by Student403)
    Several people at my school have had remarks go down. It's definitely not a one way street
    Safest (if you have time) is to get a script first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Safest (if you have time) is to get a script first
    Yeah but it costs even more doesn't it?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.