Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_like_yumyums)
    Hey,

our school had all the old ones left over so if you ask them they might be able to show you - it's pretty helpful because you can see what makes you get different grades
    As for referencing we were told to follow the Havard referencing style which is pretty universal and not too difficult to do once you get into a routine
    So would that be:

'bit of information (Author, Date, Page number)'

I was also told to include a full reference somewhere. Does it go at the bottom of the page or at the end of the 5000 word essay? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demesto)
    So would that be:

'bit of information (Author, Date, Page number)'

I was also told to include a full reference somewhere. Does it go at the bottom of the page or at the end of the 5000 word essay? :confused:
    This is how I did mine:

In my actual essay I put "quote" with a reference number.
    Then I put a footnote at the bottom of the page with the actual reference linked to the number. And then did a collective bibliography of all the references which I stuck at the end all with their numbers from the essay

As for set out mine was like so >

# Toole, G / Toole, S (2008) AQA A2 Biology Nelson Thornes; Cheltenham. Pages 112 -113
    for a book

# Ramskill, R (02/04/1998) Article summary Based on Nature Journal, [online] Accessed 06/12/2010 Available from the World Wide Web: http://whozoo.org/students//ricram/article%202.html
    for a website

Where the title of book/article on website are to be italic - if you don't know author or it doesn't have a title just put unknown

They're examples from my actual essay Hope that helps - I got an A* using that referencing style. If you have any more questions I'm happy to try and help

ReputationRep:
    This is how I did mine:

In my actual essay I put "quote" with a reference number.
    Then I put a footnote at the bottom of the page with the actual reference linked to the number. And then did a collective bibliography of all the references which I stuck at the end all with their numbers from the essay

As for set out mine was like so >

# Toole, G / Toole, S (2008) AQA A2 Biology Nelson Thornes; Cheltenham. Pages 112 -113
    for a book

# Ramskill, R (02/04/1998) Article summary Based on Nature Journal, [online] Accessed 06/12/2010 Available from the World Wide Web: http://whozoo.org/students//ricram/article%202.html
    for a website

Where the title of book/article on website are to be italic - if you don't know author or it doesn't have a title just put unknown

They're examples from my actual essay Hope that helps - I got an A* using that referencing style. If you have any more questions I'm happy to try and help
    Wow, this is really helpful thanks

How many hours a week approx did you work on this thing. Also, what was your topic/title

Don't you worry, you'll be hearing a lot from me - Are you starting uni soon or what?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this is really helpful thanks

How many hours a week approx did you work on this thing. Also, what was your topic/title

Don't you worry, you'll be hearing a lot from me - Are you starting uni soon or what?
    Haha I'm just glad it made sense :')

Well I shouldn't admit this - but I started out planning and getting a bit of research - and then I did it all in 2 weeks before our school's deadline. It was manic, and I left it too close to exams, but it paid off! So it depends on how much time you have really...

My title was "Does the breeding of pedigree animals for appearance, type and behaviour have an adverse effect on the health of the animals?"

I'm actually on a gap year (not wanted) at the minute, how about you? AS/Alevels?
    And baha - I'll try and help if I can I know these things suck if you're not motivated :P

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm just glad it made sense :')

Well I shouldn't admit this - but I started out planning and getting a bit of research - and then I did it all in 2 weeks before our school's deadline. It was manic, and I left it too close to exams, but it paid off! So it depends on how much time you have really...

My title was "Does the breeding of pedigree animals for appearance, type and behaviour have an adverse effect on the health of the animals?"

I'm actually on a gap year (not wanted) at the minute, how about you? AS/Alevels?
    And baha - I'll try and help if I can I know these things suck if you're not motivated :P
    Haha, I'll try to spread my work out as much as possible, it's just the starting point that really gets me

Interesting title - what course was it you wanted to do?

Im in A2, so im going to try keep on top of things as much as possible and hopefully get an A in this EPQ

Not sure if it's the same with my school, but when abouts was your deadline?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'll try to spread my work out as much as possible, it's just the starting point that really gets me

Interesting title - what course was it you wanted to do?

Im in A2, so im going to try keep on top of things as much as possible and hopefully get an A in this EPQ

Not sure if it's the same with my school, but when abouts was your deadline?
    Yeh starting it is a bummer :\

Ah thanks - I wanted/want to do veterinary medicine/science reapplying this year with everything crossed! how about you?

Yup A2 is a lovely year :') Still gives me chills -.-
    Well it'll be the same for your school; either you enter it in January or June, like exams entries

ReputationRep:
    Yeh starting it is a bummer :\

Ah thanks - I wanted/want to do veterinary medicine/science reapplying this year with everything crossed! how about you?

Yup A2 is a lovely year :') Still gives me chills -.-
    Well it'll be the same for your school; either you enter it in January or June, like exams entries
    Full out medicine for me :cool:

Lol, that would make more sense, I forgot its still an officially marked qualification

Best of luck with the re-entry, use your time wisely haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer9501)
    okay i went a bit over the top but here goes:-

1) Firstly, even though all the dancers are performing their movements, they're not completely in sync. I dunno if you know that there are different styles within bharatanatyam, such as the kalakshetra style, and the pandanallur style…well it seems each dancer is adopting slightly different styles. For example, the dancer on the front row on the right is much freer at the waist, and her movements are much more exaggerated. Therefore even though it is a group dance it seems to be blending melattur and pendanallur styles of bhartanatyam which is strange, however this is probably more due to the fact there is a lack of practice. As I said earlier there is zero synchronisation in this performance. Its quite unfortunate because individually, they would all be extremely good dancers, but doing a group dance in bhartanatyam is a completely different thing. It requires much more control and coordination with the other dancers.
    2) Abhinaya (facial expressions) In Bharatanatyam facial expressions are shown mainly by the movement of the eyes and also the hastas (hands) which may compliment the facial expressions. In this performance, the front row of dancers all have clearly emphasized expressions, which is great because they can actually convey the story that is being told, after all this dance seems to be more of abhinaya and story telling rather than anything else. However, the two at the back seem less experienced and are unable to convey the same expressions or story through their dance.
    3) Aramandi- aramandi is the word given to the half sitting position in Bharatanatyam which is generally maintained throughout the dance. Very rarely do dancers dance in a full standing position. In this performance, most dancers are maintaining their aramandi, however it is not a clear cut position. The position, when maintained properly, should be a perfect diamond shape. This allows the pleats of the sari to form properly and make the dance look much more elegant. The dancers need to bend their knees much more in order to gain that shape. Aramandi is unique to the south Indian styles of dancing and is essential in Bharatanatyam to make the adavus look much more crisp and controlled.
    4) Hastas (hand gestures) As this dance is mainly abhinaya the hand gestures show a lot of the story. For example the very distinct area if abhinaya at 2.05, shows the gopika searching for Krishna, and then the section on the floor showing how they adorn themselves and beautify themselves for Krishna. I cant quite pick up the lyrics of the song but I think the meaning of the song denotes a similar message. The choreography uses hand movements very well in order to depict the story and the situation in several places. This combined with the expressions and body language of the dancers helps the audience pick up on what story is being told.
    5) Footwork is generally quite good, however again it looks quite odd because of the lack of synchronisation. The girls at the back need to put more weight into their footwork and make it much clearer by lifting their legs more when performing the adavus, at the moment they look quite lazy (no offence intended.)
    6) Costume- they are wearing the traditional bharatanatyam costume, which is actually supposed to resemble the old traditional way of tying a sari. All the dancers are wearing the dancing anklets (they can be called many things depending on where your from, but are mainly known as ghunghroo) These are used to emphasise the beats and rhythm of the dancers. Usually the sound of the ghunghroo is heard much more.
    7) Story- the dance is quite obviously a story e=being told through abhinaya and jathis (footwork) Its is most probably a story depicting the relationship between the gopikas and lord Krishna, shown by the flute hasta at the very beginning of the dance. The story is also based around Krishna’s childhood days as the song repeatedly mentions the name ‘Vrindavanam’ which is the name of the forest, near the town of Mathura in present day India, where Krishna is said to have spent much of his childhood. Today, this is a holy, sacred place and the forest and its surrounding regions are scattered with many temples dedicated to Krishna, as this was his abode.
    8) General dance technique is quite good for the majority of the dancers, however there is much to improve on. They all need to extend their limbs much more. Hand movements and footwork need to be much more pronounced, as Bharatanatyam is about short, crisp movements, blended with grace and flow.
    hi thx
    i didnt exactly mean comment on how the dancers were dancing, but its alright. We have only been dancing for abt 2 years u see, so we are not quite there yet. And that video was from the first year of our dancing. the girl in the middle have been dancing since she was somethign like 5 though. The rest of us are not experienced.
    Thank again, a lot of ur comments are really important and exactly wat i needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna11)
    hi thx
    i didnt exactly mean comment on how the dancers were dancing, but its alright. We have only been dancing for abt 2 years u see, so we are not quite there yet. And that video was from the first year of our dancing. the girl in the middle have been dancing since she was somethign like 5 though. The rest of us are not experienced.
    Thank again, a lot of ur comments are really important and exactly wat i needed.
    woops... Sorry if i sounded harsh you are all good. Just needs polishing. Keep up the good work.

ReputationRep:
    Ah this is so stressful! I'm doing my EPQ on Paradise Lost and I think my question isn't very good because it's so hard thinking of counter arguments! I need to finish it asap so I can stop thinking about it. I'm hoping to get another few paragraphs in tonight :/ Anyone else doing an English one? Maybe we could send ours to each other to see what we think? Obviously it doesn't have to be Paradise Lost, I'm curious about what other people have done English ones on though and I could maybe offer some advice and vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer9501)
    woops... Sorry if i sounded harsh you are all good. Just needs polishing. Keep up the good work.
    its alrite, thx again. r u malayali by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    What area of interest/possible ideas you could give to a law applicant to do their 5000 essay on?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I need some advice. I've got my first EPQ class tomorrow and don't want to go in cold, with no ideas. I'd like to do it on something animal/vet related but I can't think what. I've got a couple of ideas, but I don't know if there is enough to write about them or whether they'd make good topics.

My main idea is looking at the impact of wild mustangs and brumby horses on the local environment and different methods used to control the population. My other idea was to do something on the selective breeding of horses for traits such as colour and certain conformational traits and how that can have negative impacts (eg some quarter horses have a genetic condition which can kill them). For both of these though I don't know whether there would be enough to write about. I could also go down the animal testing route if I'm struggling, but that doesn't interest me all that much.

ReputationRep:
    I've gone through so many different topics and I'm pretty set on a criminology one now, but lost on ideas for the content. Any help on one based around Criminology?

ReputationRep:
    Hey people

I'm having trouble narrowing down my EPQ title (I'm doing the 5000 word essay) and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I want to do it on *something* to do with Public Health & Safety - I'm thinking food safety legislation and Food Law's impact on employers, businesses and consumers.

My supervisor keeps telling me I need to narrow it down, and I'm being too broad!

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna11)
    its alrite, thx again. r u malayali by any chance?
    noooo I'm telugu

ReputationRep:
    hey guys
    i have just started my extended project course and i am not sure what topic to choose
    i was thinking about my topic to be about why do people in entertainment business get more money than doctors and nurses
    is it a good topic cause i have to write 7000 word essay and i wanted to relate it to something with money cause i want to do a degree in accounting and finance
    it would be really helpful if you guys could give me some ideas
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it supposed to be 5000? i've recently done it and did 8,000 words and got an A. But can i say something? the examiners don't give a rats ass what you write or what its about as long as you've done a log of your resources correctly, met your 5000 words limit and have written it in good english.
    And if someone is doing the EPQ and doing some sort of project like making something or carrying out an experiment the word limit is 3,000 words

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how that's got anything to with accounting and finance tbh, but it is an interesting topic! Though I'm not sure you need 7000 words to set out your argument.

ReputationRep:
    sorri my bad its 5000 if i did write about why people in entertainment business get more money than nurses doctors
    i dont no what to talk about in the actual essay if you know what i mean

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.