UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

annarchy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mogerman)
iam undergrad. student

i dont reali like mentioning my GCSE or my A level results but i can tell u that my Prediction grades are AAAa
If it's any consolation I got interviews and 2 medicine offers last year with a UKCAT of 530... How bad was it exactly? PM me if you need any more advice. Don't give up, just make the rest of your application totally kickass - and that means making SURE you get those grades. It really isn't the only part of your application that matter.
:hugs:
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
yeh the ukcat is one tiny part! by the sounds of it ure AS's must b good and i no ppl hu hav dun terrible in the ukcat and stil gone on2 get in2 da uni. Dnt let it affect your work now cz dats wt reli matters
Sam4God
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
am taking my UKCat test tomorrow and am sooo nervous! how long did people revise for it? if i'm still not doing really well on some of the practice questions, do i have a chance of getting a score 600+?
oh and how do they mark it? is each question like worth 1 mark or what??
LozengeC
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sam4God)
am taking my UKCat test tomorrow and am sooo nervous! how long did people revise for it? if i'm still not doing really well on some of the practice questions, do i have a chance of getting a score 600+?
oh and how do they mark it? is each question like worth 1 mark or what??
Good luck! Try not to worry too much, I'm sure you'll do fine.

I personally only looked over a few questions, and tried the practice ones on the UKCAT for about an hour, but found it really hard! The actual test's a lot easier than the practice one, so don't worry about that, you'll still have the chance of getting 600 plus.

I'm not sure exactly how they mark it, but as each catagory's marked from 300-900 the total of all the questions can add up to 600 (can't remember how many questions there are in each section though)!

One bit of advice, I'd go through the maths bit guessing roughly what would be a sensible answer, before working them out properly as it saves on the random guessing! :yep:

Anyway, once again good luck!
quidibit
Report 10 years ago
Just did mine today and got 620/800/600/750, 692.5 avg.

I didn't do much revision at all so I doubt that greatly impacts your result, although it would help if you're up to scratch on ratios, percentages and speed/distance/time calcs.

I found QR especially easier (time-wise) than the ukcat website test - in practice I guessed ~15 questions, in the real thing I guessed 4. VR and DA seemed similar to the practice, had a bit of time to spare in both. I messed up AR though - realised I had 2 minutes left on question 30 (spent WAY too long trying to work out a particular set) so I had to guess the last 35, which I must have gotten lucky with. My advice to you would be if you get stuck on a set just guess it and move on, it can make a big difference at the end.

Overall I'd say it was similar in difficulty to practice, but less so on the time limit.

Oh and on a side note, I lost my posting virginity.
dino1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've seen so many threads and people saying the UKCAT is useless and complete guess work. I honestly believe this to be untrue, I guessed hardly anything and I could see the different logic skills you had to apply to each area. I know it may not make you a better doctor, but to say it's completely worthless is a bit harsh......

Oh and out of interest does anyone not the weight of the UKCAT (truthfully). And are those with higher UKCATs more likely to be rejected.

Oh and sorry if i appear arrogant in anyway..., I did well in the UKCAT but not amazingly I'm just fustrated that I can't get a straight answer when discuessing the UKCAT.
yueli7
Report 10 years ago
then they use ukcat to seperate those with similar interview performance
theatrical
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by petepatel5)
so basically how do i find out if i graduated 2:1 or not?
Email the schools you're interested in, they'll be familiar with the US system and be able to tell you where you stand.

(Original post by petepatel5)
i have to pick 5 colleges and i can only pick 2...hully york and st andrews.....
You can only apply to 4 medical schools in the UK, the 5th UCAS choice can be used for any non medical, dental or veterinary choice.
Miss_Scarlett
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mogerman)
my unis for medical school are outside london...iam reali depressed and i dont reali have the motivation to carry on with my A levels because of UKCAT result
Please dont get demotivated because of your UKCAT score- if anything you have to make sure the rest of your application is pristine, so you dont end up with multiple issues with your app. I only got 550- just keep going, you can never second guess how this things are going to work out- especially as regards med school admissions(but obv dont apply to places whose cut off you havent attained) good luck
smellslikemarmite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cloop)
Sorry - really stupid question... What is ukcat?
UK Clinical Aptitude Test. You take it if you want to do medicine. It tests basic clinical knowledge, from what I gather.
Sam4God
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LozengeC)
Good luck! Try not to worry too much, I'm sure you'll do fine.

I personally only looked over a few questions, and tried the practice ones on the UKCAT for about an hour, but found it really hard! The actual test's a lot easier than the practice one, so don't worry about that, you'll still have the chance of getting 600 plus.

I'm not sure exactly how they mark it, but as each catagory's marked from 300-900 the total of all the questions can add up to 600 (can't remember how many questions there are in each section though)!

One bit of advice, I'd go through the maths bit guessing roughly what would be a sensible answer, before working them out properly as it saves on the random guessing! :yep:

Anyway, once again good luck!
Thanks! I feel a bit less nervous now! haha
the Quantitative reasoning questions on the UKCat website are sooo long and i only got to do like 10 of them! so yeah i'll probs do that for the maths section.
Hopefully, i'll be a happy girl tomorrow afternoon when i post on here again!
Sam4God
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by quidibit)
Just did mine today and got 620/800/600/750, 692.5 avg.

I didn't do much revision at all so I doubt that greatly impacts your result, although it would help if you're up to scratch on ratios, percentages and speed/distance/time calcs.

I found QR especially easier (time-wise) than the ukcat website test - in practice I guessed ~15 questions, in the real thing I guessed 4. VR and DA seemed similar to the practice, had a bit of time to spare in both. I messed up AR though - realised I had 2 minutes left on question 30 (spent WAY too long trying to work out a particular set) so I had to guess the last 35, which I must have gotten lucky with. My advice to you would be if you get stuck on a set just guess it and move on, it can make a big difference at the end.

Overall I'd say it was similar in difficulty to practice, but less so on the time limit.

Oh and on a side note, I lost my posting virginity.
Wow well done! that's a great score! Thanks for the tips, you've put my mind at ease... for a while! haha we'll see what happens tomorrow at the actual time of the test!
Cow_Fanatic
Report 10 years ago
I have mine tomorrow and I'm a little nervous about Quantitative Reasoning.
I'm very good at maths, but the questions on the UKCAT seem so much harder on the practice test. Are they really similar to the ones on the practice test or are they just trying to scare us? I can't even finish half of them on this practise test (but managed 30 when using a book in 21 minutes).

edit: I see it's kind of been answered above =)
Good luck for tomorrow everyone who is yet to take it =)
mogerman
Report 10 years ago
thx guys...i have been told that some universities look for UKCAT but only has a 4% of overall importance in the selection of the applicants...so basically i can still have a chance...feel much beta but still worried.
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)
yeh the ukcat is one tiny part! by the sounds of it ure AS's must b good and i no ppl hu hav dun terrible in the ukcat and stil gone on2 get in2 da uni. Dnt let it affect your work now cz dats wt reli matters
please don't use text talk in the forums
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What is post about, I see no question? Why would people with higher UKCATs be more likely to be rejected?
Sam4God
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
just took it today!
and i'm gutted. my average is 572.5 which sucks hard
i don't know what to do... my choices were:
UCL,
Kings,
St. George's
Queen Mary
I think I should forget about queen mary now, what do you lot think? please i'm sooo sad and worried
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
It's the last day - Good luck everyone!

just took it today!
and i'm gutted. my average is 572.5 which sucks hard
i don't know what to do... my choices were:
UCL,
Kings,
St. George's
Queen Mary
I think I should forget about queen mary now, what do you lot think? please i'm sooo sad and worried
Don't be sad and worried, please. :hugs:

You have one BMAT and three UKCAT unis there. You could try and even it out if you don't feel confident and go for 2 UKCAT and 2 BMAT or pick Birmingham, Liverpool or Bristol which don't use admissions test if that makes you feel safer. Ideally though - apply where you want to. If you're more comfortable with applying to a different set of Unis because of your UKCAT score I would definitely go for it. I wish you luck with your decision!
Sam4God
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Holsy)
It's the last day - Good luck everyone!

Don't be sad and worried, please. :hugs:

You have one BMAT and three UKCAT unis there. You could try and even it out if you don't feel confident and go for 2 UKCAT and 2 BMAT or pick Birmingham, Liverpool or Bristol which don't use admissions test if that makes you feel safer. Ideally though - apply where you want to. If you're more comfortable with applying to a different set of Unis because of your UKCAT score I would definitely go for it. I wish you luck with your decision!
thanks yeah i might go for imperial instead of queen mary. i just hope i still have a chance of getting accepted somewhere!
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
thanks yeah i might go for imperial instead of queen mary. i just hope i still have a chance of getting accepted somewhere!
It's only a small part of your application and I'm sure you still have a great chance. I fear we have to rely on chance to a certain degree! And you're welcome.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads