Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartarse1983)
    You would have to check with your uni, but it is not very common for people to be allowed to defer.

What you have to remember is that, yes, there are loads of horror stories on here and on the TES, but thats because we all tend to come online for a rant and to let off steam. For every 1 horror story there is probably 2 or 3 good stories, but people don't tend to write about them.

Getting more experience in a school is always helpful *but* and it is a big *but*, you only learn by doing, TA-ing or teaching small groups does not help to prepare you any better for a PGCE. Also, each school is so different, you could get experience in a particular type of school, and find that your two placement schools are very different. Personally, I think that if you want to be a teacher, you are better off doing PGCE sooner rather than later.

You need to have thick skin to be a teacher and to roll with the punches. It all sounds scary now, the anticipation of something is always worse than the event itself. but once you get stuck into the course, you won't have time to worry about stuff, you'll find yourself just getting on with it. The year absolutely flies by.
    Thanks, I think it's me just freaking out after reading all the horror stories online. Ill just get on with it. Their are so many changes going on with teaching and I may not get a chance like this again. These forums are pretty useful I freaked out with the QTS skills test but in the end passed with the first attempt. I think teaching is not for everyone I'm glad I know how it is going to be like before hand. It's just requires pure commitment dedication and graft.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgce2013)
    Thanks, I think it's me just freaking out after reading all the horror stories online. Ill just get on with it. Their are so many changes going on with teaching and I may not get a chance like this again. These forums are pretty useful I freaked out with the QTS skills test but in the end passed with the first attempt. I think teaching is not for everyone I'm glad I know how it is going to be like before hand. It's just requires pure commitment dedication and graft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I also freaked out from this thread before, thinking oh it's gonna be too hard!

But it really is so fun and honestly it was not as bad for me as many of the posters here.

I still watch TV shows. I still see my friends every now and then. I still had time to book a venue and start wedding dress shopping!!! I still watch films and friend DVDs. I still have dinner with friends. I still visit my parents. It is doable and as it goes so quick the time between seeing people seems even less.

Plus I tell myself if all my friends with kids can get through it then I certainly can.

Yes it's really tough. Really tough! But it's also incredibly rewarding, great for confidence as you can look back and see how much you've improved, fun, exciting and fulfilling... You're getting your dream.

Don't let it panic you. Look forward to it and explore your passion for teaching children over summer.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    2 and a half weeks to go! Wooo, I thought 3 and a half seemed like ages away on Sunday and here we are on Friday night already, time is sure flying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna start the PGCE in September and would like to know from those who are doing the course how important it is to have a laptop? Is it a necessity or would a 64/128gb USB memory stick be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I'm gonna start the PGCE in September and would like to know from those who are doing the course how important it is to have a laptop? Is it a necessity or would a 64/128gb USB memory stick be enough?
    I am on key stage one and early years and I practically never took my laptop in, I used ppa computers and did written reflective tasks, assessment notes etc. I used it a couple of times but I wouldn't say it was worth buying one for.

But then others will have used it practically daily so it's hard to say.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Totally depends on your school.

In my first placement, I was given a school laptop to use for the duration of my placement which I was allowed to take home. I barely used my own laptop during the first placement, even when I was at home.

In my second placement, they use desktop computers in each classroom and staff don't have school laptops. There are some computers in a work area but they're incredibly slow, so I mostly worked on my own laptop, just using the school computers if I needed to access resources on the VLE. So I did all my lesson planning and resources on my own laptop, whether I was working at home or at school, and transferred powerpoints to the classroom computer via a memory stick.

My memory stick is only 4gb and it has all of my resources and lesson plans from both placements on it, so don't feel the need to buy something expensive. Most of what you'll have stored will be word documents and powerpoints, so they don't take up a huge amount of space.

I'd say the PGCE is doable without a laptop, but if you're in a school like my 2nd one with slow old desktops, it would be very useful to have one.

ReputationRep:
    In my first placement school everyone used laptops and I always had to borrow my mentor's because mine was rubbish. I got a new one for Xmas but by the time I got to my second everyone used the classroom desktops. However I obviously used mine at home to plan on etc. You'll have to have a workable computer in secondary at least, can't speak for primary.

I've used a PowerPoint for every lesson I've ever taught. Invest in a good portable hard drive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBabyCat)
    In my first placement school everyone used laptops and I always had to borrow my mentor's because mine was rubbish. I got a new one for Xmas but by the time I got to my second everyone used the classroom desktops. However I obviously used mine at home to plan on etc. You'll have to have a workable computer in secondary at least, can't speak for primary.

I've used a PowerPoint for every lesson I've ever taught. Invest in a good portable hard drive!

Oh yeah, you DEFINITELY need a computer! And windows would be preferable simply for compatibility with school PCs. I don't think I could have completed the course without a computer.

It's just whether a laptop is preferable over a desktop will depend on the school.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend you get a laptop of your own, even if you get given one from your school. Personally i use my work laptop at work and leave it there overnight and use my own at home. That way i only have to carry a hard drive backwards and forwards, rather than the computer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to scare people, but I fully regret doing this course.

ReputationRep:
    SuperSam, why?

I am at a high risk of not gaining QTS (if you read the QTS Skills Test thread, you'll see my anguish!) so I have potentially wasted £9000, not counting the back-breaking work and the heartbreak if I don't make it, can't take up my position etc, but I STILL have no regrets about doing it. I'm still so grateful to have trained where I did and with the subject that I love.

Surely you can't have long to go now. I've read your posts and I can understand, can't believe how mean your placement school was about you!

ReputationRep:
    SuperSam, why?

I am at a high risk of not gaining QTS (if you read the QTS Skills Test thread, you'll see my anguish!) so I have potentially wasted £9000, not counting the back-breaking work and the heartbreak if I don't make it, can't take up my position etc, but I STILL have no regrets about doing it. I'm still so grateful to have trained where I did and with the subject that I love.

Surely you can't have long to go now. I've read your posts and I can understand, can't believe how mean your placement school was about you!
    My advice is watch the YouTube videos, even buy the rest if you have to. The book was no use at all to me. You will pass. I failed all the online tests at first then after watching the videos I started to pass. Just make sure you learn the techniques, I'm just glad I've passed and do feel for people who have to take the harder ones in Sept

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Don't want to scare people, but I fully regret doing this course.
    Can you elaborate a bit on this please. I'm currently considering applying next year (got a month of experience lined up in a few weeks time) and would really like to get viewpoints from both sides.

ReputationRep:
    SuperSam, why?

Which books have you used for the skills revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Patmore book. I'm passing all the practice ones, I think that I'm too used to those tests, I've 'rinsed' them so to speak. Going to buy the packages of extra ones so I have a bit of variation. I also have 'maths anxiety' so I'm going to approach my uni for their advice. It's not like I can't do the maths, I just can't cope with the pressure.

So it's all a bit rubbish, having a poo-time of it right now. However almost halfway through my assignment woo!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The Patmore book. I'm passing all the practice ones, I think that I'm too used to those tests, I've 'rinsed' them so to speak. Going to buy the packages of extra ones so I have a bit of variation. I also have 'maths anxiety' so I'm going to approach my uni for their advice. It's not like I can't do the maths, I just can't cope with the pressure.

So it's all a bit rubbish, having a poo-time of it right now. However almost halfway through my assignment woo!
    My uni gave workshops on the maths skills test. Want me to send over the PowerPoint? I know that lots of people found the online ones harder than the real thing

ReputationRep:
    My uni have had sessions too, and I'm on my last go, so no, the real ones were harder! Although as I say, it's not really the maths that I can't handle; it's the pressure. It'd be great to have the PowerPoint, ta!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    Can you elaborate a bit on this please. I'm currently considering applying next year (got a month of experience lined up in a few weeks time) and would really like to get viewpoints from both sides.
    Nothing could have prepared me for the amount of paperwork that has to be done. Nothing.

Well, maybe a better university could have, I'm not sure.

I hate my placement school and it really makes me question whether or not I want to teach at all. At the minute, the plan is to pass (hopefully) and do NQT year, then I'll re-evaluate. Hopefully it is just the school/my university that makes me feel so rubbish...

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone gone through the PGCE relying on car-sharing/ public transport to get to placements? If so, how did you manage it?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Nothing could have prepared me for the amount of paperwork that has to be done. Nothing.

Well, maybe a better university could have, I'm not sure.

I hate my placement school and it really makes me question whether or not I want to teach at all. At the minute, the plan is to pass (hopefully) and do NQT year, then I'll re-evaluate. Hopefully it is just the school/my university that makes me feel so rubbish...
    Thank you. Which university is it you go to, and for what subject? Also, do you say that going to a better university may have prepared you for it because you know people who have found it easier going who came from stronger universities, or is it just a general feeling?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.