Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wait, when people talk about a 'reading list' are you referring to an actual list of books sent by a university person? Because other than replying with a couple of history choices, I've had zilch tbh ... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    My history reading list arrived today! Professor Brockliss has put some terrific sounding things on there, and at least they'll be easier to tackle than the Tocqueville I'm translating at the moment.
    What Tocqueville are you translating? This is confusing me, the foreign texts list thing just refers simply to 'Tocqueville' - is this his work on Democracy in the USA or his stuff on the French revolution? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Wait, when people talk about a 'reading list' are you referring to an actual list of books sent by a university person? Because other than replying with a couple of history choices, I've had zilch tbh ... :confused:
    Don't worry, plenty of people haven't (and plenty won't) receive one; it depends on course and college.

ReputationRep:
    What Tocqueville are you translating? This is confusing me, the foreign texts list thing just refers simply to 'Tocqueville' - is this his work on Democracy in the USA or his stuff on the French revolution? :confused:
    French Revolution, it's brilliant.

What have you chosen? Foreign, approaches or historiography? Professor Brockliss at Magdalen seems to be a fiend for 18th Century France, which is perfect. Which college have you been offered?

ReputationRep:
    I've still got to wait about a month for my list. I'm eagerly awaiting my quantification reading list though. I'm much less enthused about the history of Great Britian in the 20th Century.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deFossard)
    French Revolution, it's brilliant.

What have you chosen? Foreign, approaches or historiography? Professor Brockliss at Magdalen seems to be a fiend for 18th Century France, which is perfect. Which college have you been offered?
    Yes but how do you know it actually is his work on the French Revolution that they want studied? My list simply referred to Tocqueville with no mention of anything else ... :confused:
    And Somerville.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flavius11)
    Very jealous at your lack of results panic then! :P Which subject u doing?
    Ah yes, I don't envy you that at all! But best of luck for August! I'm set to do French and Arabic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frequent_flyer)
    Hopeful Worcesterites- I've heard rumours (okay, the mirror has heard rumours) that Emma Watson is joining your ranks next year for English! Let's not get too excited
    Hahah I know, makes my private game of pretending that I'm going to Hogwarts suddenly seem a whole lot less crazy!

ReputationRep:
    Yes but how do you know it actually is his work on the French Revolution that they want studied? My list simply referred to Tocqueville with no mention of anything else ... :confused:
    And Somerville.
    Ah, I see. Well, I've just found the letter, on the third page, under (c) iv) says: Alexis de Tocqueville, L'Ancien Régime et la Révolution. This is from Magdalen specifically, because it says what they can offer, has your college just forgotten to include it? Email the tutors?

ReputationRep:
    Going to study English at Regent's Park! I'm very nervous and excited, still expecting to get an email saying there has been some kind of mistake. :P

As to Emma Watson, I hope for her sake she won't be overly harassed by devoted Harry Potter fans - or not to often at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellojabberwocky)
    Going to study English at Regent's Park! I'm very nervous and excited, still expecting to get an email saying there has been some kind of mistake. :P

As to Emma Watson, I hope for her sake she won't be overly harassed by devoted Harry Potter fans - or not to often at least.
    Congratulations!

When my friend found out I might be going to the same university as Emma Watson he suddenly seemed a lot more keen on visiting me =S

Nice to know I'm appreciated

ReputationRep:

Congratulations!!!!!!!

I want to study English too, but at Lincoln. I also won't know exactly whether I have got in until the 18th of august. I hate that they make us wait. Have you had a reading list yet? I've had mine. It is rather frighteningly long, I have only read four of the texts so far. We're doing Victorian literature first, and i've not read much of it yet. I love middle march though, and am really enjoying bleak house.

Good luck with your reading and hopefully see you in October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny18)
    Congratulations!!!!!!!

I want to study English too, but at Lincoln. I also won't know exactly whether I have got in until the 18th of august. I hate that they make us wait. Have you had a reading list yet? I've had mine. It is rather frighteningly long, I have only read four of the texts so far. We're doing Victorian literature first, and i've not read much of it yet. I love middle march though, and am really enjoying bleak house.

Sorry to randomly butt in, but I sensed a discussion of Victorian literature and I haven't been able to discuss it with anyone! Bleak House is great, I was a bit disappointed that the three Dickens texts on my list were the three I've already read but I like re-reading too! I've been doing some crazy searching for secondhand books, even went to Oxford and got some from Blackwells.

Oh, and anyone else have An Introduction To Literature, Criticism and Theory on their list? I started reading it and am really enjoying it, which feels overly nerdy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinobi93)
    Sorry to randomly butt in, but I sensed a discussion of Victorian literature and I haven't been able to discuss it with anyone! Bleak House is great, I was a bit disappointed that the three Dickens texts on my list were the three I've already read but I like re-reading too! I've been doing some crazy searching for secondhand books, even went to Oxford and got some from Blackwells.

Oh, and anyone else have An Introduction To Literature, Criticism and Theory on their list? I started reading it and am really enjoying it, which feels overly nerdy.
    I'm 40% of the way through bleak how use ( I'm reading it on kindle) and I am really enjoying it. It is inspiring questions about the portrayal of children in Victorian literature, especially since I read great expectations just before it. I've read barely any of wthe books on my list, which is worrying me slightly. I've not been set anything for theory, just Victorian and old English. I had already read Beowulf, so thats a small mercy to be thankful for.

What other things are on your list. I have tennyson, browning, rossetti and Wilde, oh and eliot as well as others. How are you getting on with your reading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    Congratulations!

When my friend found out I might be going to the same university as Emma Watson he suddenly seemed a lot more keen on visiting me =S

Nice to know I'm appreciated
    Cheers! Hahaha, I can understand: I haven't broken the news to one of my close friends yet, because he's an even more hysterical fan than me (which made me look relatively sedate when we went to see the latest one together, at least) and I'm terrified he'll sleep on my floor until he's met her.

(Original post by jenny18)
    Congratulations!!!!!!!

Oh wow, that's really late! The french system gave them out on the 5th July; I don't think I could have born the stress if not!

Yes, I do have my reading list - and I'm very surprised at having read quite a few of them already, out of pure luck. Still, it's a huge list to get through, even in part (mine was six pages, and from another friend going to Queen's I gather hers was the same length). My tutor's note accompanying it said that they didn't expect us to read the whole thing, obviously, and that the general aim was to get a broad perspective of the literary period we'll be studying, which is reassuring.

Shinobi 93, I really enjoyed Bleak House too! Though as much as I love Dorothea, I prefer The Mill on the Floss to Middlemarch. If the theory book is by Andrew Bennett and Nicholas Royle, I have to read it too. Glad to know it's not necessarily as daunting and unpleasant as I imagined it :P

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! Hahaha, I can understand: I haven't broken the news to one of my close friends yet, because he's an even more hysterical fan than me (which made me look relatively sedate when we went to see the latest one together, at least) and I'm terrified he'll sleep on my floor until he's met her.

Oh wow, that's really late! The french system gave them out on the 5th July; I don't think I could have born the stress if not!

Yes, I do have my reading list - and I'm very surprised at having read quite a few of them already, out of pure luck. Still, it's a huge list to get through, even in part (mine was six pages, and from another friend going to Queen's I gather hers was the same length). My tutor's note accompanying it said that they didn't expect us to read the whole thing, obviously, and that the general aim was to get a broad perspective of the literary period we'll be studying, which is reassuring.

Shinobi 93, I really enjoyed Bleak House too! Though as much as I love Dorothea, I prefer The Mill on the Floss to Middlemarch. If the theory book is by Andrew Bennett and Nicholas Royle, I have to read it too. Glad to know it's not necessarily as daunting and unpleasant as I imagined it :P
    Hang on - are you French? Yet you're studying English....at Oxford. Wow

ReputationRep:
    French father, mother from Newcastle, born and bred in Paris, international school. That pretty much explains it all, including my tendency to speak like a character from a novel.

But yeah, my college counsellor and my mother (who went to St Catz) frequently reminded me that it'd be harder for me, coming from outside the system. Hopefully I'll adjust to essay writing and grading fast enough

ReputationRep:
    French father, mother from Newcastle, born and bred in Paris, international school. That pretty much explains it all, including my tendency to speak like a character from a novel.

But yeah, my college counsellor and my mother (who went to St Catz) frequently reminded me that it'd be harder for me, coming from outside the system. Hopefully I'll adjust to essay writing and grading fast enough
    Wow that's awesome.

As you can probably guess from my sig - I love France.

I have a French friend whose mother is English too! He applied for PPE but didn't get in so now he's doing une prépa littéraire.

I'm sure you'll get used to it - the tutors obviously thought you were up to the challenge

ReputationRep:

Yay! Another person who did the French Bac? Which série did you do? I did ES at an international school in Los Angeles Also, I noticed that you live in Paris and said you went to an international school... Did you go to the Ecole Active Bilingue?
    I too am a bit daunted by the changeover from the french system to the English one... But, once you've survived the Bac, you can do anything! Right? (that's what I tell myself at least ;D)

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone so proactive? Is there anyone who, like me, hasn't made a start on their reading lists yet? I have to say I'm more than a little daunted by the French reading list. :hide:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.