Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Eccleston was my favourite so far and Capaldi strikes me as an actor in a similar vein. A doctor who is deeply principled, instantly commands the respect of everyone in the room and full of wit and sarcasm. What set Eccleston apart from the rest for me was that when he spoke seriously, when he was deep and unflinching, you really felt it. The danger was so much more evident. I feel that every series since then has had less and less gravitas, which wasn't a problem for Tennant - he was utterly fantastic - pulled of the essential 'weight of the world' look to a tee, and the writing for his first two series' was superb. The Catharine Tate series onwards however for me just hasn't done it. The plots are needlessly complex, the Doctor (read as Smith) is nonchalant and is cringeworthy in the moments when a brooding actor was needed. It basically became much more of a kids show, which I guess isn't too much of a problem as the target audience were satisfied but certainly disenchanted me, to the extent I stopped being a regular viewer.

What I yearn for is some classic drama. I want the Doctor to face some incredibly tough moral situations and I want him to suffer, to make the lighter moments that much more pleasurable. He shouldn't 'win' every episode, and every character should be in danger. I know it's a show about time travel and crazy space aliens, but I want the human element to feel believable - just look at the Walking Dead for an example of how that's possible. Moffat's episodes under RTD were the best but his series' have had some cheap plots, and then some overly complicated ones alongside. I hope he can engineer a series with a different tone with a subtle approach, and provide Peter Capaldi with the scripts his talent is capable of nailing. For the first time in a few years, I'm genuinely excited for the next series of Doctor Who, and long may that continue!

ReputationRep:
    This choice of actor shows that the British icon of Doctor Who is currently considered to be best represented by a fragile-looking spindly old man who dresses younger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picaa)
    This choice of actor shows that the British icon of Doctor Who is currently considered to be best represented by a fragile-looking spindly old man who dresses younger.
    But the actor chosen isn't fragile looking or spindly, nor particularly old. And he dresses his age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picaa)
    :console: Ode to have your positive outlook on the world.

In all seriousness, can we please stop calling him old? 55 is not even close to being old unless your yardstick is Justin Beiber. Also if you've seen him act you would know he isn't fragile looking in the slightest, Malcolm Tucker is the obvious example of a man who just the threat of violence is scary enough and that despite whatever physical appearance he may have, he commands respect much more than most Doctor's have ever done. Also we don't know anything about his fashion style yet so it's a bit early to have a go at how he will dress.

(Original post by St. Brynjar)
    x
    Huzzah for Eccleston love!

It will be interesting to see if they just write him as 'The Doctor' or as 'The 12th Doctor' with a slightly different personality. I know some writers have said they don't put the actor into account when writing, just the established character, but I can't see that happening with Capaldi as there is already a call to move towards a darker Doctor and some of the silliness I doubt would sit right even if he could pull it off. I wonder as well if he'll get any romantic moments ala Smith did, it's fairly irritating how people assume that just because of his age they will remove any sexual tension but then again, I like my Doctor to be asexual <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    It will be interesting to see if they just write him as 'The Doctor' or as 'The 12th Doctor' with a slightly different personality.
    I don't know if this is a new quote because it was out of context and doesn't mention a name, but probably still applies, but Moffat said something like "for his first series we'll write him as a generic Doctor, and then take into account what he brings to the role and go from there."
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm annoyed that once again they're using someone who's already had a role in the show. Poor continuity stresses me out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I'm annoyed that once again they're using someone who's already had a role in the show. Poor continuity stresses me out!
    Deep breaths..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doppelgangers? It's a possibility so it might help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Doppelgangers? It's a possibility so it might help you
    I have my personal fan theory that time lords can only regenerate to look like people they've seen before, even if they only do it subconsciously. This can be extended so that well trained time lords can consciously do it and choose who they regenerate into, provided they've seen him/her before, which explains that time-lord woman from the old Doctor Who who's name I can't remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    I have my personal fan theory that time lords can only regenerate to look like people they've seen before, even if they only do it subconsciously. This can be extended so that well trained time lords can consciously do it and choose who they regenerate into, provided they've seen him/her before, which explains that time-lord woman from the old Doctor Who who's name I can't remember
    But... there's no need! There's a perfectly non-complicated reason for people looking the same.

ReputationRep:
    That's creative as hell, i hope the next Doctoe is Kylie Minogue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But... there's no need! There's a perfectly non-complicated reason for people looking the same.
    Hey, my theories not complicated at all! As for people randomly making doppelgängers of the Doctor to send back to Roman times... That requires some explaining!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hey, my theories not complicated at all! As for people randomly making doppelgängers of the Doctor to send back to Roman times... That requires some explaining!
    I think he means coincidental doppelgangers, as appose to made ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelani)
    That's creative as hell, i hope the next Doctoe is Kylie Minogue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm voting Alan Sugar. We can start the season with 12 companions and whittle them down from there :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Not making doppelgangers, they just look the same due to some quirk of random genetics.

ReputationRep:
    Not making doppelgangers, they just look the same due to some quirk of random genetics.
    That's too simple! My inner nerd cries out for something more in depth!

Spoiler:
    Show
    Plus I'm rather proud of my theory

ReputationRep:
    I wish Steven Moffat would stop ****ing about with the show, he's made it too confusing and is losing his audiences. Ecclestone was the Best and so was Russell T Davis, that man had skills. I don't mind this new fella, I think he's quite good, but I want someone more dark, like ecclestone. I hear he's a really nice guy on person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sphodromantis)
    I wish Steven Moffat would stop ****ing about with the show, he's made it too confusing and is losing his audiences. Ecclestone was the Best and so was Russell T Davis, that man had skills. I don't mind this new fella, I think he's quite good, but I want someone more dark, like ecclestone. I hear he's a really nice guy on person.
    I agree, I miss the days of Russell T Davis, those were brilliant episodes and not too confusing or cheesy like the series has become now :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple.pie)
    I agree, I miss the days of Russell T Davis, those were brilliant episodes and not too confusing or cheesy like the series has become now :s
    I always thought that Davies was much cheesier than Moffat is as a showrunner, imho the series has been much more consistent under him and a lot of the story archs have been much more interesting.

Can't say I get the 'confusing' allegation either, it's hardly 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' but the speculation you get out of it is much more enjoyable than Davies got and apart from the saminess of the companions and a slight lack of character arc for the Doctor, I can't think of anything he's done bad which is worse than what came before (Durn it, you guys are turning me into a Moffat defender :unimpressed:).

(Original post by Skip_Snip)
    I don't know if this is a new quote because it was out of context and doesn't mention a name, but probably still applies, but Moffat said something like "for his first series we'll write him as a generic Doctor, and then take into account what he brings to the role and go from there."
    I wish I could find the quote but I can imagine it being more about Matt than Peter as he was fairly unknown and so they wouldn't know his strengths as well whereas with Peter they've got to have a good idea about where his skills lie (which is just about everywhere :awesome: )

To be fair getting continuity from a sci-fi series is like banging your head against the wall in the hope that liquid gold comes out of your ears :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMakeSenseToNone)
    I wish I could find the quote but I can imagine it being more about Matt than Peter as he was fairly unknown and so they wouldn't know his strengths as well whereas with Peter they've got to have a good idea about where his skills lie (which is just about everywhere :awesome: )
    This is true, but he wouldn't play the Doctor in the same way he played Malcom Tucker or Sid's Dad I'd imagine he'd probably try to emulate one of the Doctors he grew up with, Troughton or Pertwee I guess, or he might bring a whole new dimension to it which even the Grand Moff hasn't foreseen

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.