Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCAssistant93)
    Mate don't mean to be rude but 72 is not a respectable score and a bit offensive to people who have 50s and 60s. You should apply to all GAMSAT unis and not bother with ukcat unis. 72 will give you an interview anywhere. Please don't come here and say it's a respectable score because it is more than that. Unless you're here for bragging rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No offence as intended - I simply wanted another point of view on weather it is worth replacing a GAMSAT choice with my low UKCAT. I have to be fussy where I go as I have a husband and family that come with me, so moving to somewhere like swansea comes with big sacrifice over somewhere more central like warwick. Not that I should really have to explain myself.

I also can't get interviews "anywhere" as I don't have A-levels or even half decent GCSE qualifications. Yes I did well on the GAMSAT but there is a whole lot more to the application than that. Kindly don't judge people unless you know the whole story.

ReputationRep:
    Right guys, I need an honest opinion.

Sat my UKCAT and got a score of 737.5 (2950) (VR:700). I'll be applying definitely to BSMS as I am currently studying at Brighton and have met the criteria for a guaranteed interview. I'll also definitely be applying to Warwick because I really like it.

I'm torn between Barts, Southampton, King's and Keele (5 year). I applied to Keele before and got an offer and so I don't know whether its a good idea to reapply, or if I'm in with a better chance at one of the other three.

Thanks in advance! :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuronerd)
    No offence as intended - I simply wanted another point of view on weather it is worth replacing a GAMSAT choice with my low UKCAT. I have to be fussy where I go as I have a husband and family that come with me, so moving to somewhere like swansea comes with big sacrifice over somewhere more central like warwick. Not that I should really have to explain myself.

I also can't get interviews "anywhere" as I don't have A-levels or even half decent GCSE qualifications. Yes I did well on the GAMSAT but there is a whole lot more to the application than that. Kindly don't judge people unless you know the whole story.
    How can you apply to Liverpool without A levels? I thought they required BBB.

ReputationRep:

I appreciate that. It's just the way you came across as saying your score was respectable. People work for a year for that exam and don't half as well. So it just came across wrong.

I think it's best to look at each uni and what they require pre interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Es0phagus)
    How can you apply to Liverpool without A levels? I thought they required BBB.
    After a long and annoyingly repetitive email conversation with them, they basically said we will consider you but no more detail than that (I have alternative qualifications and a masters), another reason why I wanted the UKCAT to go better.

ReputationRep:

That's completely fair and of course you don't have to explain yourself. Perhaps what was meant is that you asked for an opinion, and gave us your GAMSAT and UKCAT score and so all anyone can comment on is your best chance of getting in based on only those two things and nothing else. So a score of 72 is fantastic, and based solely on that and your UKCAT, I would have personally said only apply to GAMSAT unis. Of course, you know your own application, and your A level and GCSE status etc, and so thats a big factor aswell. However, with a huge GAMSAT score like that, you've definitely put yourself in a good position, regardless of your situation :-)

ReputationRep:
    After a long and annoyingly repetitive email conversation with them, they basically said we will consider you but no more detail than that (I have alternative qualifications and a masters), another reason why I wanted the UKCAT to go better.
    Be positive, you have more options than me, and a fantastic GAMSAT score! I have no A Levels, only UKCAT in the way of entrance exams and I can't move so I have one choice, and I'm still positive!

I think you said you submitted your application already, but I could be losing my mind, anyway Warwick will score you for postgrad and therefore UKCAT doesn't need to be as high, just in case you're still considering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    Be positive, you have more options than me, and a fantastic GAMSAT score! I have no A Levels, only UKCAT in the way of entrance exams and I can't move so I have one choice, and I'm still positive!

I think you said you submitted your application already, but I could be losing my mind, anyway Warwick will score you for postgrad and therefore UKCAT doesn't need to be as high, just in case you're still considering.
    Yeah had a convo with the husband and he basically said go for the places you can get, as even with the masters I don't think the UKCAT is high enough (lowest invited to interview in 2015 was 2800, I got 2740). If I get Swansea then I guess I'll just have to suck it up and go there.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah had a convo with the husband and he basically said go for the places you can get, as even with the masters I don't think the UKCAT is high enough (lowest invited to interview in 2015 was 2800, I got 2740). If I get Swansea then I guess I'll just have to suck it up and go there.
    Fairy snuff, it makes sense, hopefully you won't have to, and if you do it may be an amazing experience.

My UKCAT score would allow me to apply elsewhere but unfortunately I can afford to uproot my husband and children so I'm only applying to Warwick and can completely understand your disappointment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaGEM)
    Fairy snuff, it makes sense, hopefully you won't have to, and if you do it may be an amazing experience.

My UKCAT score would allow me to apply elsewhere but unfortunately I can afford to uproot my husband and children so I'm only applying to Warwick and can completely understand your disappointment.
    Oh how I envy those without baggage. Good job we love them eh?

ReputationRep:
    Oh how I envy those without baggage. Good job we love them eh?
    It's borderline at times :s But of course, otherwise I'd take off, leave them behind and stay in halls, hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry93)
    That's so reassuring, thanks! I assume they were 5 year courses?
    No worries! And yes they are

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be applying with a biomedical science degree. I just did the UKCAT today and got the following:

VR - 680 / QR - 810 / AR - 680 / DA - 680 / SJ - Band 1

This gives me an average of 712.5. I did better than the first two times I did it but I'm worried it's still not good enough. I'm only applying to GEM as 5 year courses will be a massive financial struggle for me :/ please could anyone advise where they think would be good for me to apply?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renn)
    I'm going to be applying with a biomedical science degree. I just did the UKCAT today and got the following:

VR - 680 / QR - 810 / AR - 680 / DA - 680 / SJ - Band 1

This gives me an average of 712.5. I did better than the first two times I did it but I'm worried it's still not good enough. I'm only applying to GEM as 5 year courses will be a massive financial struggle for me :/ please could anyone advise where they think would be good for me to apply?

Thanks!
    I'm in the same position! Got a physio degree first and got 710. Depends if you have chemistry a level? I don't, and can only apply to Warwick, Newcastle and kings. But 710 is pretty low for last two, so hoping it's ok for Warwick! Just need to wait and see what the ukcat averages are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richardjamesford)
    I'm in the same position! Got a physio degree first and got 710. Depends if you have chemistry a level? I don't, and can only apply to Warwick, Newcastle and kings. But 710 is pretty low for last two, so hoping it's ok for Warwick! Just need to wait and see what the ukcat averages are!
    Oh okay, thanks for the reply! And yeah I did do chemistry for A level. Fingers crossed both our scores will be decent. Have you started your personal statement yet by the way? I'm stressing that I only have a few weeks to sort it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange_tree100)
    Guys, I don't know much about the admissions process yet so I'm genuinely not sure where I stand and where the best places to apply for me would be. I'm currently doing my own research but any insight/advice would be awesome. I got a first class degree in Pharmacology from KCL. UKCAT score of 2690. GCSE: 3A*, 5As, 1B and A-levels: AAAb. Good work experience. Decent personal statement.

I've been advised to apply to 5 year courses instead of 4 year A101 courses. Do you think that is reasonable advice?

I was currently looking in to the following 5 year A100 courses: Nottingham, Cambridge, UEA, King's, Manchester, Barts, Glasgow, Southampton. What do you think my chances are at the following?

But if you think there is somewhere better for me to apply, please let me know! Also, I was thinking of doing the BMAT or GAMSAT too. Thoughts on this?
    Have you thought about looking at GEM courses without entry requirements? (Bristol, Birmingham and Cambridge)

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I don't know much about the admissions process yet so I'm genuinely not sure where I stand and where the best places to apply for me would be. I'm currently doing my own research but any insight/advice would be awesome. I got a first class degree in Pharmacology from KCL. UKCAT score of 2690. GCSE: 3A*, 5As, 1B and A-levels: AAAb. Good work experience. Decent personal statement.

I've been advised to apply to 5 year courses instead of 4 year A101 courses. Do you think that is reasonable advice?

I was currently looking in to the following 5 year A100 courses: Nottingham, Cambridge, UEA, King's, Manchester, Barts, Glasgow, Southampton. What do you think my chances are at the following?

But if you think there is somewhere better for me to apply, please let me know! Also, I was thinking of doing the BMAT or GAMSAT too. Thoughts on this?
    Can't advise on 5-year but the GAMSAT for this year (2016 entry) has been and gone and the BMAT only opens 2 grad courses (Oxford and imperials 5-year grad course)

Also make sure you can afford the fees if you go for the 5 year courses as you don't qualify for a student loan for fees and 9k a year is a significant financial commitment (unlike the complicated but at least funded 4 year courses)

ReputationRep:

Cambridge is a 6 year course though (Medics -> NatScis for a year)? I just had a look, but I couldn't see anything that said you can skip third year if you already have a degree.

Ok I apparently can't use a calculator. Thought you got 720 average but im clearly an idiot!! Yeah that UKCAT score probably isn't high enough for the GEM courses, but you probably have a good chance at Birmingham, Bristol (if your PS is good) or Cambridge (They like high grades).

ReputationRep:
    I think you could apply for birmingham gem

ReputationRep:

Check out Bristol A101. No entrance test! You may satisfy their entry requirements. They are big on PS.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...5/medicine.pdf

Have a look at Cambridge too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.