Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

American Football Talk II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    WTF are the Eagles playing at

ReputationRep:
    Josh Norman now a free agent too. Bold move by the Panthers but I can see why they did it.

ReputationRep:
    Just listened to the Ross Tucker podcast with Greg Cosell and he thinks the Rams are going with Wentz for basically the same kind of reason I suggested here. Play under center and operate an offense based on Todd Gurley's talent. Cosell pointed out that shotgun QBs like Goff have never really had to turn their backs on a defense during play action, and that this is quite a significant skill to have to learn while adjusting to NFL speed. Then again Cosell also loves big, strong armed QBs soooo...

Anyway if the Rams do take Wentz based on scheme fit then I think the Eagles backed into some luck because Goff is probably better overall. They are saying they will not trade Bradford, but I am assuming that is based on the assumption they get the QB they think is second best. I wonder if they will see it that way if they back into the one they thought the Rams would get.

Seeing Bradford on the trade block would likely either make the Broncos a SB favourite again or give the Jets a great shot at unseating the Pats, although I think either might have a hard time taking on his contract.

ReputationRep:
    Bradford just isn't that good though, anointing anyone as a big improver with him under centre in his 1st year of a scheme seems ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Bradford just isn't that good though, anointing anyone as a big improver with him under centre in his 1st year of a scheme seems ludicrous.
    I take your point, but in the case of the two teams I mentioned one of them won the Super Bowl with historically bad QB play, and the other took Fitzpatrick to 4000 yards in his own first season. I think Bradford is an upgrade over either of those guys, even though it's fair to say at this point that he will probably never be the player he had the potential to be.

ReputationRep:
    Broncos with Bradford would be a contender, as mediocre as Bradford is, the quarterback play was horrific last season so I'm sure as Smash said they won't be struggling too much

ReputationRep:
    does anyone here play in or know anything about the BUAFL?

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on new Norman contract at redskins?

Seems overpaid to me for someone of his age...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think it's a big price but Free Agents always are. The Jags were never really in play and I can see why with that offer for a 29 year old one-season wonder. OBJ and Norman twice a year is bad for the sport too. Those games are going to be silliness for the foreseeable.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Bills fan here. Not in great shape as far as our clown ass coaching staff. But I'm sure happy that we got LeSean McCoy from the Eagles last year. I didn't think any organization could drive their fans as crazy as the Bills, Raiders (or maybe Redskins) until I saw the absolute collapse of the Eagles these past two years. Looks like they'll finally fall to the bottom of the division.
    As far as Norman goes, I agree. Incredible talent, but it's a gamble to go for a multi-year contract with a guy who has only two years of really good performance. Gamble is what the Skins do. We'll see if it pays off.
    I think OBJ and Norman will mature. They're probably already tired of fighting.

ReputationRep:
    Contract isn't great but then again neither was the Jenkins and Vernon one which I find hilarious :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Contract isn't great but then again neither was the Jenkins and Vernon one which I find hilarious :rofl:
    The 'good' contracts in elite level FA were few and far between for sure. Particularly when you look at the basic numbers. Hopefully most GMs were sensible enough to not hurt their teams cap moving forward.

ReputationRep:
    Brady re-suspended.

What. The. ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    Brady re-suspended.

What. The. ****
    This has horrendous implications. Essentially those two dickwad judges have confirmed the NFL commissioner can punish without cause, make up precedent, arbitrate on appeals for punishments he set and act fundamentally biased in that appeals process.
    Furthermore, it's also essentially been confirmed that if any one team gets too good, then they can be penalised for the natural effect of cold weather on pressure via the ideal gas law, which the NFL deems to be as bad as major doping violations.

ReputationRep:
    This is a farce. Every sane fan knows Brady has been ****ed over by the NFL.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like Brady, he's like a petulant child and even I don't appreciate this situation. How can he be suspended when he's been exonerated in a court of law?

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like Brady, he's like a petulant child and even I don't appreciate this situation. How can he be suspended when he's been exonerated in a court of law?
    Unfortunately Brady has never been official exonerated.
    Even though, when directly asked by Judge Berman in the original appeal what actual evidence the NFL had their attorney admitted there was none, his ruling was solely about whether or not the NFL had followed the procedure set out in the CBA during the arbitration process.
    The second circuit Judges didn't seem the least interested calling out the NFL on their numerous lies and half-truths and evidently bought that Brady was guilty hook, line and sinker. Indeed Judge Denny Chin said that evidence of ball tampering was compelling and overwhelming.
    That said, again their ruling was solely on the scope of the Commissioner's powers under the CBA, but one can't help but feel worried that a Federal Judge doesn't understand the concept of the ideal gas law, or that 'circumstantial' evidence is only a thing if a crime has actually been committed in the first place, or didn't instantly realise the Wells Report is a crock of crap after reading through it (which they must have done, since they cite it numerous times in their ruling).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Unfortunately Brady has never been official exonerated.
    Even though, when directly asked by Judge Berman in the original appeal what actual evidence the NFL had their attorney admitted there was none, his ruling was solely about whether or not the NFL had followed the procedure set out in the CBA during the arbitration process.
    The second circuit Judges didn't seem the least interested calling out the NFL on their numerous lies and half-truths and evidently bought that Brady was guilty hook, line and sinker. Indeed Judge Denny Chin said that evidence of ball tampering was compelling and overwhelming.
    That said, again their ruling was solely on the scope of the Commissioner's powers under the CBA, but one can't help but feel worried that a Federal Judge doesn't understand the concept of the ideal gas law, or that 'circumstantial' evidence is only a thing if a crime has actually been committed in the first place, or didn't instantly realise the Wells Report is a crock of crap after reading through it (which they must have done, since they cite it numerous times in their ruling).

Yeah having read it properly I now understand. The judge simply can't rule on Brady's guilt, only if Rodger acted outside the scope of his powers, which he didn't because the CBA gives such a wide remit. The Judge can't be seen to challenge the ruling of an arbitrator so his ignorance to the issues is fairly understandable.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah having read it properly I now understand. The judge simply can't rule on Brady's guilt, only if Rodger acted outside the scope of his powers, which he didn't because the CBA gives such a wide remit. The Judge can't be seen to challenge the ruling of an arbitrator so his ignorance to the issues is fairly understandable.
    Even still, I know judges like to give huge deference to arbitration but come on! If the Commissioner's bad faith and improper conduct during this whole fiasco doesn't constitute industrial justice, which is grounds to strike an arbitration ruling, then frankly nothing will.
    For the next five years, Roger Goodell is God to NFL players.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't bother me that much. The next CBA the players will have to negotiate their asses off. Until then they're under the thumb but y'know.... **** happens. Of course it's a joke that Brady is suspended and if they miss the playoffs because of it the Super Bowl champion will have an asterisk to be honest.

What I don't understand, is if it's this easy to just suspend someone for "conduct detrimental" then how come they never tried it on Greg Hardy? If destroying a phone is conduct detrimental then what is it when you pay a witness not to show up to a trial (and it is baffling that apparently this isn't illegal or frowned upon in America)?

This has implications, obviously, but I would be fine with it if the exact same thing had happened but with someone who really deserved it. If the league had been in court defending an 8 game suspension for Hardy (for example: 4 games under the DV policy and 4 for conduct detrimental) then I would be happily cheering them on even if it has negative implications for other players under the terrible CBA they negotiated.

Instead I have a moral dilemma: the owners clearly give less of a **** about serious crimes than they do about randomly persecuting a player for probably not doing anything wrong. Should I give them my money by renewing GamePass? On one hand it's a good product which I enjoy, and my protest wouldn't actually affect anything on its own. On the other hand, **** giving these guys any money for any reason.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.