Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMer)
    Thanks! Now I'm worried ha, applied for history in October
    So did I, the wait is killing me especially since people who applied after me already have offers/rejections 😁

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here waiting for a foundation year decision ?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziec02)
    So did I, the wait is killing me especially since people who applied after me already have offers/rejections 😁
    Have you applied for history?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skhuller)
    anyone know anything about st aidans?
    nope, I only applied for it because I wanted a big, more social college, I've been offered a place there though, which is lucky as it was my preferred college

ReputationRep:
    It's so disconcerting. I just want to know! What were your AS grades and predicted, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    slightly worried about the college I've been allocated now...I thought St aidans was meant to be quite a welcoming and social college but people seem to be saying it's pretty dead...can anyone give me info about st aidans and what the social life/people there are like?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMer)
    It's so disconcerting. I just want to know! What were your AS grades and predicted, if you don't mind me asking?
    My AS grades were: AAAA
    And my predicted are: AAA
    I know that my predicted grades are lower than the offer so it's most likely gonna be a rejection, but as I haven't heard either way I'm clinging to some hope!!
    What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even mind if I receive a rejection, I'd just like to know now! 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My AS grades were: AAAA
    And my predicted are: AAA
    I know that my predicted grades are lower than the offer so it's most likely gonna be a rejection, but as I haven't heard either way I'm clinging to some hope!!
    What about you?
    AABB at AS and A*AA predicted. Your AS grades are really good so maybe they giving your application more of a read? It's comforting knowing other people are waiting.

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying to Durham, for a History and Modern Languages degree. At the minute, I am a Year 9 student, just about to choose my options around March time. It's quite daunting, but I just want to make the right choices because the wrong ones may get me into a predicament. Right now I am studying two languages French and Spanish, our school is allowing us to take two, but would it be better or more beneficial for me to do another essay based subject like Geography, rather than an extra language? At the minute my school is allowing the whole year to do nine GCSE's.

Right know what I am picking is:English Language
    English Literature
    Combined Science (2 GCSE's)
    Mathematics
    Religious Studies
    French
    History
    Geography

If I had the option French would be my preferred subject, and I could see myself doing it for three years at university and going abroad to learn more about the language. I'm sorry if it may seem a bit far-fetched as I am only in Year 9 and a long way from university, I just want to make sure I have the right options from the go! Thank you for all the help!

Harry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMer)
    AABB at AS and A*AA predicted. Your AS grades are really good so maybe they giving your application more of a read? It's comforting knowing other people are waiting.
    Please say you're applying for History

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMer)
    Thanks! Now I'm worried ha, applied for history in October
    To be honest I don't even know how I got an offer. They might be just really deliberating really hard whether to give you an offer because otherwise you should get a rejection so I guess no news is good news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanorelodie)
    Please say you're applying for History

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep! Applied Oct 22nd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukmanmiah)
    To be honest I don't even know how I got an offer. They might be just really deliberating really hard whether to give you an offer because otherwise you should get a rejection so I guess no news is good news.
    I don't know if that's a good thing or not? I'm really impatient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMer)
    Yep! Applied Oct 22nd
    I applied at the start of November! 😪

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I applied at the start of November! 😪

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All there is to do is overthink and wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrypblack)
    I am thinking of applying to Durham, for a History and Modern Languages degree. At the minute, I am a Year 9 student, just about to choose my options around March time. It's quite daunting, but I just want to make the right choices because the wrong ones may get me into a predicament. Right now I am studying two languages French and Spanish, our school is allowing us to take two, but would it be better or more beneficial for me to do another essay based subject like Geography, rather than an extra language? At the minute my school is allowing the whole year to do nine GCSE's.

Right know what I am picking is:English Language
    English Literature
    Combined Science (2 GCSE's)
    Mathematics
    Religious Studies
    French
    History
    Geography

If I had the option French would be my preferred subject, and I could see myself doing it for three years at university and going abroad to learn more about the language. I'm sorry if it may seem a bit far-fetched as I am only in Year 9 and a long way from university, I just want to make sure I have the right options from the go! Thank you for all the help!

Harry
    If I were you I'd choose to study 2 languages if you want to do languages at uni, it was an opportunity that I was never given and I think you have been very fortunate. The more languages you speak the easier you will find studying languages, and you'll have the opportunity to do 2 languages at A level if you still want to do the same thing. During my A level French lessons I have to write essays, so would say that geography won't benefit you that much if you're looking to simply improve your essay writing skills - except that a lot of people do geography with history. If you prefer Spanish do Spanish, it's up to you. I didn't go GCSE geography and it hasn't impacted me at all (I chose GCSE music over geography and would say GCSE geography looks better but you have to do what you enjoy).

Also look at it this way, languages open so many doors when it comes to working abroad and look very impressive. Personally I never enjoyed geography at school and don't regret my choice. You don't technically need Spanish to study it at uni alongside French though as you can learn it from scratch - but do you want to be great at it or mediocre?

I'm a maths offer holder and enjoy being able to say I can also speak French. Languages are a joy you will have for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even mind if I receive a rejection, I'd just like to know now! 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same I just want to know now !!

ReputationRep:
    Just got rejected for History

ReputationRep:
    Just got rejected for History
    Me to, I've glad I've finally heard but it's really upset me

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.