Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I turned down a good uni place to do fast track and I've got No regrets. IMHO it trumps uni for many reasons.; I'm earning IRO £27k, training is paid for, practical work experience (which in my case I'm really enjoying) and a guaranteed job unless I screw up the apprenticeship - which I don't intend on doing. Oh, plus no student debt. Don't look at all the case studies online and expect it to be excitement from day one, that's not real life, but it IS interesting and I like the job security. Obviously it can depend on what department you are posted to, which is a bit of the unknown but I've got loads of friends who are graduates that are stuck in bread and butter jobs because they can't find work in their chosen field - after a degree, with dept! All paths in life can be a gamble but I'm my opinion if you get the opportunity to do fast track, do it. I'm doing business admin and my line manager is really encouraging. Plenty of opportunities if you put yourself forward. You have to ask yourself If you want a job, or a career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee queen)
    I turned down a good uni place to do fast track and I've got No regrets. IMHO it trumps uni for many reasons.; I'm earning IRO £27k, training is paid for, practical work experience (which in my case I'm really enjoying) and a guaranteed job unless I screw up the apprenticeship - which I don't intend on doing. Oh, plus no student debt. Don't look at all the case studies online and expect it to be excitement from day one, that's not real life, but it IS interesting and I like the job security. Obviously it can depend on what department you are posted to, which is a bit of the unknown but I've got loads of friends who are graduates that are stuck in bread and butter jobs because they can't find work in their chosen field - after a degree, with dept! All paths in life can be a gamble but I'm my opinion if you get the opportunity to do fast track, do it. I'm doing business admin and my line manager is really encouraging. Plenty of opportunities if you put yourself forward. You have to ask yourself If you want a job, or a career?

so did you actually do the programme or do you just work in the social media department because you answered maybe one of my questions?

ReputationRep:
    Lat 234 , my post wasn't specifically for you, which is why your posting wasn't on my reply. Not my job to answer all your questions, just trying to be encouraging to anyone reading. Thought I made it pretty clear I am doing the apprenticeship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lat234)
    what are you going onto next? are you applying for the fast stream or moving to private sector? or just staying where you are? whats your salary and did it increase at the end of the two years? what programme was you in and was it good?

sorry for all the questions but these things just don't get answered ever

thanks in advance
    So, I just became permanent in my post in my department after I completed it. I have every intention of staying in the Civil Service. I have seen some really interesting internal vacancies in my department so I am in the process of applying for them, as I'm wanting to change roles. I have also applied for the Fast Stream.

I rather not post my salary but it's at the upper end of the grade scale (without the London weighting) and it increased at the end of each year, as part of my department's performance review. AFAIK pay does not increase on the basis of completion after 2 years but idk if that depends on your department.

I was in the Business and Admin framework (the only one open at the time) and I really enjoyed it. Imo it all depends on your role you're in, as that's what you're doing day in, day out. In all honesty, i saw the actual apprenticeship as an extra to the day job. Hope I answered all your questions.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all that! Was really useful. I'm looking forward to starting. I wanted to do business management but I'm being put on digital tech which for me is actually just as interesting. Could you give any specific details on the business management course. I was just looking forward to doing it and would like to know what you're getting out of it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I noticed you said you are doing the Business Admin apprenticeship. I just wanted to ask what your thoughts on the assignment/exam side are? How frequent are you handed assignments to complete? And when do you do exams. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody else not heard anything back after the e-mail saying I should hear back from my Departmental Lead shortly?

It's been 27 days and counting now, almost a month since I've heard anything, it's ridiculous considering some apprentices already have start dates.

Anyone got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am due to interview for HMRC next week at Custom House, Lower Thames Street. Stupid question, but where is the reception located? I don't have time free during work to try and find it myself.RegardsAlex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexLou)
    Hi guys, I am due to interview for HMRC next week at Custom House, Lower Thames Street. Stupid question, but where is the reception located? I don't have time free during work to try and find it myself.RegardsAlex
    I'm sorry for jumping in here, I don't know much about the London HMRC locations but you're 'interviewing' at this stage of the process? Didn't know interviews were still going ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Owen Freeman)
    Has anybody else not heard anything back after the e-mail saying I should hear back from my Departmental Lead shortly?

It's been 27 days and counting now, almost a month since I've heard anything, it's ridiculous considering some apprentices already have start dates.

Anyone got any ideas?
    I'd definitely get in touch I started yesterday so there's no harm in asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyr_)
    I'd definitely get in touch I started yesterday so there's no harm in asking
    I got in touch and received this e-mail on 18/11/2015 as follows:

'Hi Owen

Thank you for your email.

Your line manager has been sent all your details and should be making contact you shortly.

Unfortunately we are unable to confirm start dates as this is dependent upon all pre-employment clearing.

You will be receiving a separate email regarding this along a pre-employment DBS form, in the post. You must complete this and return it to us ASAP.

Once we have received your form we will commence your checks.

Please do not hand in your notice until you have received confirmation of the outcome of your pre-employment checks along with a startdate.'

I'm still worrying though; it's nearly December and still nothing to say I've actually secured a place; I've not received any follow up e-mails or letters either.

Feels like I'm being strung a long a bit, although I have to believe that's not the case.

ReputationRep:

'Hi Owen

Your line manager has been sent all your details and should be making contact you shortly.

Unfortunately we are unable to confirm start dates as this is dependent upon all pre-employment clearing.

You will be receiving a separate email regarding this along a pre-employment DBS form, in the post. You must complete this and return it to us ASAP.

Please do not hand in your notice until you have received confirmation of the outcome of your pre-employment checks along with a startdate.'

I'm still worrying though; it's nearly December and still nothing to say I've actually secured a place; I've not received any follow up e-mails or letters either.

Feels like I'm being strung a long a bit, although I have to believe that's not the case.
    That's annoying for you I mean I started last week and none of my checks have gone through

ReputationRep:

'Hi Owen

I'm in the same situation. I submitted all my forms last week and not heard anything from my line manager yet. I'm use to nothing going straightforward. I spent almost 2 months without any contact before. So just stay positive. Out of curiosity have you received an email about voting for the fast track committee? I just found it hilarious I've had 3 emails in a week asking me to vote yet I've not been given my start date yet and when I was chasing them up for any info back in September it was like drawing blood from a stone.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone in the HMRC department that is waiting for checks to clear? Or just waiting for a start date?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sa-95)
    Is there anyone in the HMRC department that is waiting for checks to clear? Or just waiting for a start date?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I am for both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richwillturner)
    Yes, I am for both.
    It's taking forever! It's just some people have already started and their checks haven't been cleared, which is unusual :/ and apparently DBS forms can take up to 60 days to clear

ReputationRep:
    I'm in need of some help guys. I was told in october "are you able to start monday?"… they then called me back the next day explaining there was a mistake as my checks hadn't gone through yet and they'll contact me soon to discuss a new start date. My checks went through just days after this and they still hadn't contacted me. I recently received an email saying my department will contact me soon to arrange a start in november, but now we're coming up to december!!! Does anyone know who I should contact/what email I should try because right now I'm emailing everyone thats ever contacted me and not getting any replies. (I'm doing business admin in Birmingham)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gsmal)
    I'm in need of some help guys. I was told in october "are you able to start monday?"… they then called me back the next day explaining there was a mistake as my checks hadn't gone through yet and they'll contact me soon to discuss a new start date. My checks went through just days after this and they still hadn't contacted me. I recently received an email saying my department will contact me soon to arrange a start in november, but now we're coming up to december!!! Does anyone know who I should contact/what email I should try because right now I'm emailing everyone thats ever contacted me and not getting any replies. (I'm doing business admin in Birmingham)
    I'd start with nadine Walsh who probably contacted you in the first place or go to the hr department if you know what department you're meant to be in

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Just to say that I finally started today!! It did seem like it was never going to happen for a while there. I was only told last Saturday that my start date was today (I had to relocate too) so don't worry too much if it seems to be dragging now, just do as much as you can to prepare for when you do get that email because it could be very quick after that!!!
    Good luck people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyr_)
    I'd start with nadine Walsh who probably contacted you in the first place or go to the hr department if you know what department you're meant to be in
    Oh okay great, thank you!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.