Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there a worked solutions paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesM22)
    Exactly. Since when do you count the 3.5? Never done that for trial and improvement. Always been what is closer
    Bro your 100% right the answer is 3.7, not 3.8 this proves it, on this trial and improvement question, question 11.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/2hjune2012ans.pdf

Like you 3.7 is closer because when you take away the number from ti, it's closer than 3.8.

People that thinks the answer is 3.8 is wrong lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissBdaviesMaths)
    It was 3.8. I believe you would get marks as follows:

(1) correctly evaluated trial between 3 and 4
    (1) correctly evaluated trial between 3.5 and 3.9
    (1) correctly evaluated trial between 3.7 and 3.8
    (1) 3.8 as the conclusion
    Your actually wrong the answer is in fact, 3.7, the evidence is right here on this old test paper go to question 11.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/4hjune2013ans.pdf

ReputationRep:
    3.8 is the correct answer for the trial and improvement question!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Usmaan345)
    3.8 is the correct answer for the trial and improvement question!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol you are so wrong lol, it's actually 3.7, go on the link question 11 i sent on a previous comment.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I was wondering when a thread for the foundation paper 2 mark scheme will be released or created. There a lot of students who are really eager to find out what their answers were and whether they were correct. There seems to be a lot of thread for the higher tier maths paper 2 , but not for foundation. I'd really appreciate if someone could create one.

I hope you all did well with whatever tier exam you did...GOOD LUCK ON RESULTS DAY!
    👊🏻😉

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikilliloot)
    Your actually wrong the answer is in fact, 3.7, the evidence is right here on this old test paper go to question 11.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/4hjune2013ans.pdf
    Sorry, but the answer is in fact 3.8 because when you put the 3.75 in to the calculation the answer is smaller than the one the question was looking for, therefore the number should be rounded up to 3.8 to give the correct answer to 1 d.p.

Check this video out for real proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8e2nN-L3E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    Sorry, but the answer is in fact 3.8 because when you put the 3.75 in to the calculation the answer is smaller than the one the question was looking for, therefore the number should be rounded up to 3.8 to give the correct answer to 1 d.p.

Check this video out for real proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8e2nN-L3E
    That guy answer is wrong and also he got other questions wrong too, evidence look at 0:13

ReputationRep:
    Paper 2 was so calm i think i got around 92 dropping 6 mark on the last question wtf was that. But on paper 1 i think i got about 63 it was so hard no easy questions 😭 ill probarbly settle for an A

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone reply or give me something to work with?

ReputationRep:
    That guy answer is wrong and also he got other questions wrong too, evidence look at 0:13
    Please ask your maths teacher, then hopefully you will realise why it is 3.8. You clearly do not understand the rounding up/ rounding down process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPeter)
    Please ask your maths teacher, then hopefully you will realise why it is 3.8. You clearly do not understand the rounding up/ rounding down process
    He does understand it. There are two different methods for trial and improvement. One involved 3.75 and the other doesn't. Both are usually accepted in the mark scheme so I can't see why they won't both be this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Marking really harshly, I got 67 and 74 which equals to 141. Is that enough for an A?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovedMasterMike)
    Marking really harshly, I got 67 and 74 which equals to 141. Is that enough for an A?!?!?
    Yes, but only just. If you've marked harshly. You are above the kind of stuck on mark. What I mean by this is that sometimes the exam board are harsh in that they put the grade boundary just higher than the mark that most people of that grade got. For example, in Nov 2015, me and several other people from my school got marks between 163 and 166 and the grade boundary for A* was 167. But 141 is well above this. Good luck! Nothing's for certain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    He does understand it. There are two different methods for trial and improvement. One involved 3.75 and the other doesn't. Both are usually accepted in the mark scheme so I can't see why they won't both be this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree that there are two (and more) methods but they all give the final answer 3.8 !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrPeter)
    I agree that there are two (and more) methods but they all give the final answer 3.8 !!!
    That's where you're incorrect. Completing the number line method gives you 3.7 due to the value of this being closer to 34 than that of 3.8.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1465633305891-1784222836.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  221.5 KB
    I shouldn't be doing this so early on a Saturday

ReputationRep:
    Can you do foundation

ReputationRep:
    Okay fine you think he's wrong, please have a go at the question again yourself. Hope this clears your misunderstandings.
    x^3-5x=34

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    Okay fine you think he's wrong, please have a go at the question again yourself. Hope this clears your misunderstandings.
    x^3-5x=34
    Is it 3.8 or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.