The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

unless in my year out I do either an access course or do an intensive year doing bio and chem a levels i think I have to.

my apps will be kcl nottingham st georges and either swansea or newcastle all 4 year grad atm
Reply 201
papajames
unless in my year out I do either an access course or do an intensive year doing bio and chem a levels i think I have to.

my apps will be kcl nottingham st georges and either swansea or newcastle all 4 year grad atm

I'm not to sure about access courses. I know Swansea like to some post GCSE science. Doing intense A-levels maybe quite stressful but it would also help with your GAMSAT revision. Nottingham and St.Georges have cut offs for the GAMSAT and if you don't reach them they immediately reject you. Swansea don't have a cut off. KCL and Newcastle use the UKCAT.
Be really careful where you choose. I made that mistake when I first applied. DO your research and you should be fine :smile:
the best for me would be not to take the year out and go straight to kcl as that is what I would want the final result to be but its to risky just to apply to kcl and I dont think I am allowed to.

but in the 9 months before I would have to apply to kcl if I didnt have to do the gamsat I might be able to get in enough work experience and have enough time to look over the ukcat which as I do philosophy shouldnt be that bad for me. but thats all pie in the sky stuff the most likely thing to happen is I do some work experience between now and my finals then do the intensive a levels in science which would do my science section revision of the gamsat for me aswel as looking voer the other 2 sections.
Reply 203
papajames
the best for me would be not to take the year out and go straight to kcl as that is what I would want the final result to be but its to risky just to apply to kcl and I dont think I am allowed to.

but in the 9 months before I would have to apply to kcl if I didnt have to do the gamsat I might be able to get in enough work experience and have enough time to look over the ukcat which as I do philosophy shouldnt be that bad for me. but thats all pie in the sky stuff the most likely thing to happen is I do some work experience between now and my finals then do the intensive a levels in science which would do my science section revision of the gamsat for me aswel as looking voer the other 2 sections.

You could just look at UKCAT unis like KCL, Newcastle and Warwick (I think there maybe more). In that way as you say you would have time to do work experience. Tbh, the GAMSAT is very expensive and takes over your life (it did me anyway:rolleyes: ) and if you don't get the mark you want it makes you feel very disappointed.
To be fair though, the other two sections you should fly through because of your degree! I came from a complete science background and hadn't written essays etc for a very long time.
warwick requires a science based degree and I do an arts based one so that is a nono straight away :P

if i applied this september it would be only kcl and newcastle that I could apply to which seems risky
Reply 205
papajames
warwick requires a science based degree and I do an arts based one so that is a nono straight away :P

if i applied this september it would be only kcl and newcastle that I could apply to which seems risky

Ah yes!You are quite right about Warwick.
I agree. Applying to just two is a little risky! I definately think you should take the year out.
and in that year out I could get the 2 a levlels and take the gamsat and do some work experience and do this stuff for relatively cheap as I could do it form the family home.
Beula24
Ah yes!You are quite right about Warwick.
I agree. Applying to just two is a little risky! I definitely think you should take the year out.

Hows it risky when all the OP has to lose is £40

OP id say apply to the two you can and plan for a gap year if you fail to recieve an offer
Reply 208
brokenangel
Hows it risky when all the OP has to lose is £40

OP id say apply to the two you can and plan for a gap year if you fail to recieve an offer

Just wanting the OP to avoid possible disappointment! 4 choices are better than 2! Only my opinion as OP did ask for it!! Up to them in the end!
lol stop saying op :P

also if i fail at those 2 as i havnt got enough work experiience then I can only apply one more time to them
Reply 210
papajames
lol stop saying op :P

also if i fail at those 2 as i havnt got enough work experiience then I can only apply one more time to them

Sorry papajames:smile:
Is it only twice you can apply to them?
It's evident that you really want to go into medicine, so go for it :smile:
If you don't get in the first time just keep trying :smile:
Beula24
Sorry papajames:smile:
Is it only twice you can apply to them?
It's evident that you really want to go into medicine, so go for it :smile:
If you don't get in the first time just keep trying :smile:

thanks dude how do i find out how many i can apply to them and even if i can re apply say 100 times wont they look down each extra time you have to apply
Reply 212
I'm really not sure how many time you can apply! I may have seen it ona site called med school online.
It wouldn't matter if you've applied before. I've applied to Swansea twice and they said that they look at the application as a new one each time, with no reference to the last one so that shouldn't be a problem.
nice
when you off to grad med ?
Reply 214
papajames
nice
when you off to grad med ?

I wish :smile: Still waiting to hear from Swansea. Apparently they will let us know after Christmas/New Year!!
I hate waiting :p:
Where do you study?
essex dude as for politics and eco it is top 3 in the country

for my favourite subject phil it is only top 10

swansea med school looks interesting
Reply 216
papajames
essex dude as for politics and eco it is top 3 in the country

for my favourite subject phil it is only top 10

swansea med school looks interesting

Cool!!
Swansea would be my preferred choice.
There's quite a good book called How to get into Graduate Entry Medicine. Quite informative.
bought it 3 days ago :P
Reply 218
papajames
bought it 3 days ago :P

Excellent :yep:
also whats the best work experience you have done man.

also how do you get to do the work experience I specifically want to do surgery

Latest

Trending

Trending