Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MG.GULED)
    I've gone over photosynthesis so many times and everythings alright apart from factors and answering those horible questions with graphs !
    doe anyone have the answer to why the theoritical yield of atp is never achieved ?........is it because its used up for phosporalation.
    The answer you are looking for is already posted around here , anyways its due to various reason , few which i can recall are: Organic phosphate is transferred into the mitochondria from the cytoplasm, and atp transferred from mitochondria to cytoplasm as well as pyruvate being transferred into the mitochondria if respiration is aerobic and not forget atp is also used for the process of chemeosmosis where its actively transferred from innner membranes to outer- intra membranes (actively).

ReputationRep:
    Photosynthometer is that even on our sylabus ?:confused:
    yea i thought the same, i dont recall my tutor telling us anything about it except for the respirometer ,respiratory substrates .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    I'm copying your stratagey - I've decided. Looks like a good'un. Except I'm going to add the liver 'in detail' to tomorrow as well. I'll do the kidneys tonight after big brother :yep:
    yay ah went over the liver today - finally understand alcohol detoxification lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    The answer you are looking for is already posted around here , anyways its due to various reason , few which i can recall are: Organic phosphate is transferred into the mitochondria from the cytoplasm, and atp transferred from mitochondria to cytoplasm as well as pyruvate being transferred into the mitochondria if respiration is aerobic and not forget atp is also used for the process of chemeosmosis where its actively transferred from innner membranes to outer- intra membranes (actively).
    :gah: Chemiosmosis is the diffusion of ions across a partially-permeable membrane, hence no ATP used the energy is from the ions moving.

Examiner Tip: Always refer to protons being pumped into the inter membrane space. Don't say that they are actively transported as this implies that ATP is used,
    and in this case, the energy is from the electron flow, not from ATP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    yay ah went over the liver today - finally understand alcohol detoxification lol.

Me to !...took a while but because nad is reduced it can no longer oxidise fatty acids which leads to build up of fats in hepatocytes that causes fatty liver and cirrhosis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    :gah:
    lol sorry kinda multi-tasking(wjec physics grr) , but thats no excuse my typing reflects my handwriting =/ .

ReputationRep:
    I will start doing notes on photosynthometer tomorrow morning around 7am so make sure you wake up early tomorow to revise.
    I should probably focus on the exams I have tomorow and friday but OK :p:

ReputationRep:
    :gah:
    i dont think chemiosmosis involves atp. its because flow of electrons along the electron t. c releases energy to pum protons across the membrane.

ReputationRep:
    Me to !...took a while but because nad is reduced it can no longer oxidise fatty acids which leads to build up of fats in hepatocytes that causes fatty liver and cirrhosis
    :woo: Exactly also to mention ermm what was those enzymes again? ugh ethanol dehydrogenase -> aldehyde dehydrogenase , guess thats it?

ReputationRep:
    :woo: Exactly also to mention ermm what was those enzymes again? ugh ethanol dehydrogenase -> aldehyde dehydrogenase , guess thats it?

do we have to know about similarties of photophosphoralation and oxidative .p. ? it comes up in the older past paper.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think chemiosmosis involves atp. its because flow of electrons along the electron t. c releases energy to pum protons across the membrane.
    Yeah that's right, the electrons are "pumped" but not in an ATP needing active transport kinda way.

ReputationRep:
    do we have to know about similarties of photophosphoralation and oxidative .p. ? it comes up in the older past paper.
    yep :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I will post notes on Anaerobic respiration too as this confuses many people and notes on Respiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    Yeah that's right, the electrons are "pumped" but not in an ATP needing active transport kinda way.
    but we know the energy currency which is ATP, yea you are right about ETC, that whatever energy you make from it(ATP) , is used for chemeosmosis then again i don't think examiner would mind that.

ReputationRep:
    I will post notes on Anaerobic respiration too as this confuses many people and notes on Respiration.
    Great, yea i saw this question which said : state the differences between anaerobic respiration in plants/ animals .

ReputationRep:
    Goodnight everyone! i'm worn out from c3 test this afternoon, so will see you all tomorow morning at 7am:P

ReputationRep:
    Goodnight everyone! i'm worn out from c3 test this afternoon, so will see you all tomorow morning at 7am:P
    see you later ,Goodnight .

ReputationRep:
    Great, yea i saw this question which said : state the differences between anaerobic respiration in plants/ animals .
    ooo i did this earlier!

in animals:
    the NADH tranferes H to the pyruvate forming lactate (lactic acid)
    the NAD then goes off back to glycolysis. So glycolysis can continue and some ATP can still be made rather then none at all.

in plants:
    Pyruvate loses CO2, which give ethanal. Then, like with animals NADH tranferes H to the ethanal, giving ethanol. For the same reasons in animals, so some ATP can still be gained from glucose rather than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    ooo i did this earlier!

in animals:
    the NADH tranferes H to the pyruvate forming lactate (lactic acid)
    the NAD then goes off back to glycolysis. So glycolysis can continue and some ATP can still be made rather then none at all.

in plants:
    Pyruvate loses CO2, which give ethanal. Then, like with animals NADH tranferes H to the ethanal, giving ethanol. For the same reasons in animals, so some ATP can still be gained from glucose rather than nothing.
    Thanks, yea since it was a 3 mark question it bugged me a bit, do we need to know about the enzymes? =/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, yea since it was a 3 mark question it bugged me a bit, do we need to know about the enzymes? =/
    Just read what I typed back. I explained that awfully, sorry, hopefully you got my drift!

As far as I know we don't. It's not in my revision guide and can't remember my teacher saying much about them... I'd check though as I'm not sure!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.