Turn on thread page Beta

PC2 Maths, AQA 24/05/10 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was the entire question on Geometric that went into Arithmetic sequence question?
    If someone can remember how it broke down into each part e.g. a)i); a)ii); b)i); b)ii) ... I would be grateful also...

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yagami)
    I got the same thing.

Found the stationary point by factorising out the x or x^1/2 don't remember properly.

Then I put the S.P in dx2/dy2 and got 5.005 or something which is above 0 meaning minimum. So no maxium.....I think
    can't remember how I did it but I'm sure I re-arranged d2y/dx2 as it said hence

so I re-arranged it to a form where X couldn't equal a -ve value... - thus no max

ReputationRep:
    just forget the exam now and wait for the results!!!

Hate seeing so many corresponding answers lol

ReputationRep:
    how many mark was the binomial expansions question and the integration after?

for hte binomial expansion, 3 and 3
    its supposed to be -3 and 3 apparently
    this means that i have done alll the integration wrong.... will i still get some marks?
    thankkkks

ReputationRep:
    method marks guys.. method marks...

ReputationRep:
    I wrote "{x: x ∈R, x>0} ∴ {f''(x): f''(x) ∈R, f''(x)>0} ∴ all stationary points are minimums." Then felt I had to qualify it a bit more by writing 10 lines on why it's true haha, I'm certainly not loosing that mark!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie901)
    Which translation one?
    2^4x ---> 2^4x+3?

That might have not been it exactly.

I put stretch SF 1/8 for one of them D:

ME TOO! was it right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallie.x)
    ME TOO! was it right?
    I have no idea tbh.
    No one else seems to have put it so I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    That binomial question was so annoying i saw it had 1 + p/x2 + q/x4 - 1/x6 and i kept thinking in my head " i swear that should be a minus" i thought it was an error in the exam paper so i left my answer as +3 and +3 instead of -3 so im guessing i got the integration after that wrong....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallie.x)
    ME TOO! was it right?
    i thought it was a translation of [3,0] because you replace x with -x?

ReputationRep:
    That binomial question was so annoying i saw it had 1 + p/x2 + q/x4 - 1/x6 and i kept thinking in my head " i swear that should be a minus" i thought it was an error in the exam paper so i left my answer as +3 and +3 instead of -3 so im guessing i got the integration after that wrong....
    There was no minus

i thought it was a translation of [3,0] because you replace x with -x?
    put that.

the wording of the question may make us both wrong tho.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remmeber what the very last question was? I have a feeling I may have missed it out

Was it proove something was 1/log something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prikstera)
    There was no minus

put that.

the wording of the question may make us both wrong tho.
    Wasn't it a totally different translation, as disscussed previously in this thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prikstera)
    There was no minus
    Yh i know there was no minus thats where i went wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Muffin_Man)
    Well, this is a common mistake students make. If p or q=-'ve then the term would become negative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeadd1ct)
    Guys, I don't understand where you are coming from. In the last 2 log questions, you had to get an answer given in the exam. The very last question, you had to get 1/(4log2) as the answer.
    yer your right the answer you got in the end u had to prove it was 1/(4log2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie901)
    Can anyone remmeber what the very last question was? I have a feeling I may have missed it out

Was it proove something was 1/log something?
    Ollie, look at this:

from (8ei): log 10 = 3 log 2 + log 5 - log 4 so: log 5- log 4 = log 10 - 3 log 2. ==== log (5/4) = log 10 - 3 log 2

(8eii) 2^(4x-3) = 5/4
    Thus: log (5/4) = (4x-3) log 2.
    Thus: log 10 - 3 log 2 = (4x - 3) log 2
    Thus: log 10 - 3 log 2 = 4x log 2 - 3 log 2
    Thus: log 10 = 4x log 2
    Thus: 1 = 4x log 2
    Thus: x = 1/(4log2)

ReputationRep:
    omg - that question was so hard - DID NOT GET IT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Muffin_Man)
    I put p = -3, all they said was p and q were integers. Just because there is a plus sign in front of p, doesn't make it positive.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the PC2 was quite a tricky one.

The last logs question was difficult, I managed to get it but I know most people didn't have a clue, it was quite difficult but I got the breakthrough when I figured log5 + log2 = log10 = 1. It was difficult to see though.

For the translations question I got a translation of [3/4, 0], and then for the next part I got x=0.75. EVERYONE else I spoke to put [3,0] and then got x=0 but I am quietly confident I got it? Looking back here a few seem to agree with me?

I think I made a complete mess of the deduce question, I couldn't figure out how to get it into a correct form so I ended up just finding the only stationary point and working out it was a minimum, I don't know if I even used the correct figures though, that question just didn't work out too well.

Can't remember too many more answers,

sigma notation question 70
    Trapezium rule 5.55
    shaded area under curve = 1.9 (I think that's what I put, can't really remember)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 14, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.