I'd hate to be rich Watch

JayDay92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by boeing737ng)
That has never happened to anyone and never will so it's silly saying something like that, it's beside the point of this thread.
My Brother's 24 year old best friend met an old woman at a bank and ended up having breakfast with her. She ended up giving him £500,000 which he's been living off of for the past 2 years.
Haychee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just received this message on Facebook from Dystopian91. His life satisfaction is at an all time high he feels the need to spaz out online at about 4 in the morning.

Don't you just pity the underclass?

------------------------------------------------------
Middle class ponce. I bet you don't run your mouth with your bigoted, elitist **** offline do you? Come into any pub or estate in England (if you're old enough you little turd) and you'll get your teeth punched down your throat. Must be a hard life being born with a silver spoon and your head lodged in your ********. Go play in traffic you little ****, and quit talking down to people. If not carry on and get your face rearranged. Floppy haired, middleclass *******.

The best part of you dripped from your mums piss flaps. Your dad just have just blasted it over your mums ****** repugnant face and saved us all the torture of yet another smug, spotty faced, middleclass **** like you. DIE *******, DIE.
Sprockette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dystopian91)
You people are missing what I am saying, I'm not saying "i don't want money". Read the thread.

I am saying I don't want an obscene amount of money, if i ended up on £18k p/a at age 30 I wouldn't be to bothered. I'd still be able to do what I want to do in life. We should all be greatfull for what we have.
What is success to you? Besides not earning money or having possessions...? And "being happy and not following society" isn't an answer, elaborate.

I kind of agree with some parts, although I would like to have stupid amounts of money! But I don't aim towards that, I won't have a career that would make that possible. I would like to be very comfortable though. I would hope to earn at least £30-£38k at some stage. Comfortable to me is having a nice 3 bedroom house, being able to turn on the heat whenever I wanted without worrying about whether I can afford the bill, being able to buy good food, being able to spontaneously go on holiday if I wanted. I'd like a nice little nest egg for retirement so I wouldn't have to change my lifestyle when I retire. Define being lead by society. I want these things. Realistically what is better than having all the comfort you want and security for a good future? As long as you don't go and waste it and get into debt buying a plane/yacht or something similar or get into trouble or put your health at risk...
R-KAM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JK_91)
x
:rofl:
beckyl92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
money does buy happiness. me anyways
MissSasha
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey,

I know this seems fairly generic non-chalant "have not, want not" philosophy - but hear me out.

I'm from a working class, single parent background. At age 19, I feel privileged to have the experience I had growing up. I've decided I never actually want to be "rich" or "Successful" in their societal incarnation - but rather, all I want is the ability to fulfil my realistic and modest ambitions. This is liberating, and enables me to focus on much more simply enjoying life and achiveing an introspectively subjective definition of "happiness".

I think excess, arbitrary procural of tokens of wealth when growing up leads to negligence and an unrealistic perception of what really has value in life.

Money can't buy happiness, it helps - but you have to know what you're shopping for.
Success is more important to me than money because if I’m successful in something I enjoy doing it means I’ll be happy. This will bring me a degree of wealth and hopefully I’ll be happy with that amount of money and it will allow me to live a “comfortable life” I understand what you mean.
Joey_Barton
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CookMySock)
Oh woe is me, my life has lost its meaning ever since I became a multi-billionaire.

Excuse me while I mope around, bathing in my hot-tub filled to the brim with dollar bills and voluptuous women. As their womanly protrusions giggle, wiggle and squiggle while covered in bubble and foam, my mind is absent while I reminiscence on my happier life as a starving cobbler.

My life was ruined ever since I discovered that awful geyser that spews molten gold.
haha this is great! blunt and brash, yet ambiguous, like the best movies on capitalism etc etc.

Regarding the OP, it sounds kinda dumb, but it's still thought provoking. I'd say I've got quite strong left/commie-leanings, but going purely by gut instinct I could easily be quite driven my materialism. plasma TVs, eating expensive fruit like melons and nectarines for breakfast, swearing at people as i wizz past on my segway...
babygirl110
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by beefheartrules)
sounds like sour grapes to me.
It certainly does to me too.

(Original post by Haychee)
Pardon? That's an awfully constructed question please rephrase it.

If you are asking "do taxpayers always contribute towards what they wish to contribute towards?"

The answer is no.

The point I am making is everyone should aspire to be above dependence on the state.
My point exactly! I really do not envy the mindset the OP is portraying.
Dystopian91
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by babygirl110)
It certainly does to me too.

My point exactly! I really do not envy the mindset the OP is portraying.
Ok :rolleyes:
miss_opinionated
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ياسمين)
Money could definitely make me happy; obviously it's not the only thing. If there were some terrible tragedy in my life I don't think money could fix that but in the current scheme of things..

I agree. Money, money, money, I want me some money.
haydenong
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Frankly speaking, being poor SUCKS. I really don't know why and how the OP's mindset came about but lacking financial power is just a pain in the ass.
Some sort of boat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey,

I know this seems fairly generic non-chalant "have not, want not" philosophy - but hear me out.

I'm from a working class, single parent background. At age 19, I feel privileged to have the experience I had growing up. I've decided I never actually want to be "rich" or "Successful" in their societal incarnation - but rather, all I want is the ability to fulfil my realistic and modest ambitions. This is liberating, and enables me to focus on much more simply enjoying life and achiveing an introspectively subjective definition of "happiness".

I think excess, arbitrary procural of tokens of wealth when growing up leads to negligence and an unrealistic perception of what really has value in life.

Money can't buy happiness, it helps - but you have to know what you're shopping for.
I'd rather never have to work, be able to go out every night and throw as much money around as I wanted and drive a really nice car. The simple truth is, I couldt give a **** about "realistic and modest dreams" if I could wipe my arse with money.
GQ.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To me it sounds like the OP is lazy. People who are rich (unless they were born into it) have usually worked very hard to get somewhere and have huge ambition. These people can still enjoy the simpler things in life.
Bettina <3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I think being 'rich' is great. Being able to just buy whatever you want, go wherever you want and do whatever you want without money being any kind of issue or deciding factor is great. I feel really bad for people who say stuff like "I want to do ___ or buy ___ but I can't afford it" or "I need to get a job to..." - I've never been in that position personally but I bet it must suck.

I guess it depends on you personally, I know I'd hate to be poor, but maybe if you are born poor then it is easier to deal with. I can't imagine what it'd be like if I had to worry about stuff like bills or mortgages or loans etc. Surely less worries can only be a good thing!
rudyrabbit
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OP - What I am wondering is what motives you have to post on here. I fully respect your ideas, and though I think you won't be able to maintain them for long (I know many doctors who went into medicine to "save and care for people" until they discovered private practice!), I think you are making valuable arguments.

However, I am not sure what you are trying to achieve. You knew you were going to get the types of answers that you got. Was it just provocation so that you could vent your anger at the more materialistic of us in society? Or is it just so you can convince yourself that you are making the right choice?

See - I would love to help people. But I think that most people who need help bring their problems onto themselves. I am fed up paying taxes to help people who can't be bothered to go to work, who think drinking will miraculously solve their problems etc.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good. The queues at Harrods are already bad enough as it is.
rudyrabbit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Haychee)
Just received this message on Facebook from Dystopian91. His life satisfaction is at an all time high he feels the need to spaz out online at about 4 in the morning.

Don't you just pity the underclass?

------------------------------------------------------
Middle class ponce. I bet you don't run your mouth with your bigoted, elitist **** offline do you? Come into any pub or estate in England (if you're old enough you little turd) and you'll get your teeth punched down your throat. Must be a hard life being born with a silver spoon and your head lodged in your ********. Go play in traffic you little ****, and quit talking down to people. If not carry on and get your face rearranged. Floppy haired, middleclass *******.

The best part of you dripped from your mums piss flaps. Your dad just have just blasted it over your mums ****** repugnant face and saved us all the torture of yet another smug, spotty faced, middleclass **** like you. DIE *******, DIE.
WOW - Do you really have floppy hair?
Blutarsky
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Isn't it 'waste not, want not'?
rudyrabbit
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Blutarsky)
Isn't it 'waste not, want not'?
It is. Also not sure what non-chalant is. Is there such a thing as "chalant". All in one word, dear. No hyphens
ferdi.g
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Better than a poke in the eye.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.42%
No - I got the required grades (108)
59.02%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.57%

Watched Threads