Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Welsh students who go to welsh universities wont have fees increased watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletproof!)
    In the last couple of pages I have been accused of being a racist, someone has said I said the Welsh boffed farm animals (I NEVER said that), been accused of being a bigot, and called a freak or troll. Some genius said a university would be worthy of pity for having someone uneducated joining them, how the hell would I qualify to attend a University if I were not educated.

I am above this. I did not come here to trade abuse, I came here to express a view on the Welsh government's policy, which turns their people into parasites on the English. I've explained why the Welsh language is regressive, the point of any language is communication, and superfluous languages hinder communication.

I've made my points, I've supported them without trying to offend anyone - read my initial post here. Unfortunately you people don't extend the same courtesy to me, but I am better than you people, I don't expect it.

That's exactly what it is. The UK couldn't survive without England, it could get along quite nicely without any of those extra little countries .
    Talk about being up your own backside and you think you deserve respect, think again.

No one person is better than any other as we are all equal and should be looked at equally. The sooner you realise this the better as you are no better than anyone else in this world, no matter how much you think you are.

You clearly have a very derogative view of the Welsh and that's an issue you should realistically address.

Also, note most universities in the UK have a equality policy which you are clearly in breach of right now for showing a very ignorant attitude towards Welsh people and you have been very discriminative. I was the one who said a university would be unfortunate to take you and I stand by that statement as the attitude you have shown has portrayed you to be a very ignorant, non-intellectual and self obsessed individual. Also, I wonder what your attitude would be to the minorities that attend the same university as you do would be - I wonder if you would tell Muslims, Welsh and EU students to speak English. I doubt it - you are clearly just a keyboard England nationalist.

Also, why should I be forced to speak English to please you? That would be like me telling you to learn Welsh for me. No, the fact is, I learnt a new skill and developed the ability to speak two languages so therefore I can converse with more people - the very same reason I am learning Bulgarian as I regularly visit there so to avoid being ignorant I learn the language in order to converse with the people there - by your understanding you think that those Bulgarians should speak English as well then do you? No they shouldn't as the Cyrillic alphabet and language is part of their history and their country and in order to maintain that history they will continue speaking it, just as us Welsh continue speaking our language. Some do, some do not - each to their own.

I really hope I don't end up in university with someone as ignorant as you and I honestly think I won't as most English people are honest, nice and intelligent people - unfortunately for yourself, you do not fall into that category. You may be academically gifted but your morale understanding and knowledge of the world leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, enjoy yourself and keep thinking of your idealogical world where everyone speaks English to suit your needs. Also, while you are at it lets just kill everyone who doesn't. A few other people had very idealistic views as well - they were called Adolf Hitler and Josef Goebbels.

I love how you think that England are the main part of the UK, the simple fact is that without Wales, Scotland and Ireland - England would struggle. Even English politicians and high level businessmen have discussed such a thing. There are actually English people stopping Wales from going independent as they know it won't benefit England either.

There is a reason the countries within the UK are together and that is that together they are stronger than they would be apart. Don't forget England has a high influx of immigrants to cater for. Your country wouldn't cope. Wake up! Wales wouldn't cope alone, at least I will admit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    Yes, let's get your first post on this page too just so we don't forget what we're talking about:

Here we have an argument that consists of nothing but sweeping, offensive remarks about an entire nation, not with any coherent purpose, or any sort of evidence to back it up; just an unsubstantiated attack on the Welsh people. We're "parasites" who "piss and moan", who have a "silly and unnecessary language". And of course, it ends with the obligatory expletive. If you don't keep views like that to yourself, you shouldn't be surprised when you get attacked for it.

No mention, mind you, of the Assembly Government's policy on tuition fees, which you say you came here to express your view on. In fact, in all your posts (and yes, I checked), I see nothing that bears any relation to that specific policy, though there is a vague statement that you "don't like a lot of the backwards policies of the Welsh government" (though I don't see what's backwards about them...a lot of the stuff that's come out of the One Wales agreement has been far more progressive than the stuff that's been coming out of Westminster), and of course the rant on the terrible evil of bilingual road signs.

You certainly haven't "explained why the Welsh language is regressive", either. You've explained why you think it is, but again this is all unsubstantiated stuff on a touchy topic.

So don't cry foul. You came to this thread with the sole purpose of posting inflammatory comments that certainly succeeded in getting my back up and a lot of others', too. When you put the cat amongst the pigeons you shouldn't act surprised when you get sh*t on.
    There's a massive difference between disagreeing with someone and vilifying them, calling someone a racist and a bigot, or fabricating things that they have said. The first 4 words of my post were No offence to anyone here. Unfortunately no-one took that on board.

All I ask is that when people disagree with me, they remain civil and honest, and debate in good faith. That has not happened.

ReputationRep:
    There's a massive difference between disagreeing with someone and vilifying them, calling someone a racist and a bigot, or fabricating things that they have said. The first 4 words of my post were No offence to anyone here. Unfortunately no-one took that on board.

All I ask is that when people disagree with me, they remain civil and honest, and debate in good faith. That has not happened.
    For future reference, saying "no offence" doesn't automatically render the following paragraphs as less offensive. :erm:

ReputationRep:

Saying "no offence" does not nullify or excuse the rest of any such statement. Would you walk up to a random stranger in the street and be able to say "no offence, but you're a smelly inbred tosser" and expect no offence to be caused? Of course not. You'd be lucky to get away without a damn good thumping. You ask for courtesy and, despite what you profess, give none in return. Your first post, and many that followed, were anything but civil, and displayed nothing but ignorance. If you don't want to be called a bigot, don't give people reason to think you are one. The internet, after all, is a very judgemental place, and people will judge you very quickly indeed if you start calling them parasites, as I now know from experience.

ReputationRep:
    I think the regulations for this are a tad strict.
    Nobody has a choice where they are born. I hate to say it, but it stinks of racism.
    I moved to Wales 4 years ago when I was 18 (I couldn't move before then), and have lived here as my main permanent residence since, paided my taxes and NI to the Welsh Assembly Government, and everything. According to these rules, I could live here for the rest of my life, and would still never be eligible. And that is would I plan to do. Yet only my children will be able to benefit.
    It just seems very unfair; people that live in Wales because they love it here and genuinely want to be part of it have less rights than those that are only staying for the money.- obviously this is not how all Welsh people are, |I know many have a great deal of national pride, but many stay in wales purely for this reason. I live in a remote mid Wales village and it is utterly devoid of young families as they all move away from Wales, towards the cities/ civilisation in general.
    As far as maintaining the Welsh language is concerned, I have concerns about it. I volunteer in some schools local to me, and although in many secondary schools, already having a second language seems to help a lot of the children to pick up yet another (more useful out of Wales) language, many of the younger children in primary school struggle to become competent in either language and as a result become confused and develop linguistically later than, for example, a pupil who was attending an english language school and then later learns Welsh as a second language, once they have a grasp of English. The success or otherwise of these children when their linguistic ability seems to depend on whether their family speaks Welsh at home or not... often they do not and thus the combination of languages early on in development causes major issues.

ReputationRep:
    I know many people may have been upset by the remarks made recently, since this upset seems to take up a good few pages of posts, understandably.
    HOWEVER
    This is unnecessarily detracting from the debate at hand.
    It is an important issue, if people feel like insulting/ upsetting the Welsh, it is not very nice but at the same time it should not be allowed to distract from the civil side of this debate.
    (I count myself as Welsh, even if the WAG doesn't)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlisonB)
    I think the regulations for this are a tad strict.
    Nobody has a choice where they are born. I hate to say it, but it stinks of racism.
    I moved to Wales 4 years ago when I was 18 (I couldn't move before then), and have lived here as my main permanent residence since, paided my taxes and NI to the Welsh Assembly Government, and everything. According to these rules, I could live here for the rest of my life, and would still never be eligible. And that is would I plan to do. Yet only my children will be able to benefit.
    It just seems very unfair; people that live in Wales because they love it here and genuinely want to be part of it have less rights than those that are only staying for the money.
    It's not racism. It's the UK government's fault for not supporting their students, rather than the Welsh being racist.
    And I think you're a little misinformed. It doesn't matter if you weren't born here, you just have to have lived here for three years to be eligible.

ReputationRep:
    Are the Welsh parties going to vote in favour of the increases?

ReputationRep:
    Are the Welsh parties going to vote in favour of the increases?
    Well, the only Welsh party in Westminster is Plaid, and they will be voting against. As for the other Welsh MPs, the majority will follow their parties, I should think. Whether people like Jenny Willott (Lib Dem MP for Cardiff Central) will vote against remains to be seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
    Well, the only Welsh party in Westminster is Plaid, and they will be voting against. As for the other Welsh MPs, the majority will follow their parties, I should think. Whether people like Jenny Willott (Lib Dem MP for Cardiff Central) will vote against remains to be seen.
    Even two Conservatives are voting against the rise in fee's. Proves its a load of nonsense because normally all the blues stick together on everything so something mentioned in the review must have unsettled them.

In response to Alison B I honestly hope that English students do not have to pay increased fee's but childish English students coming on here and insulting the Welsh over such an issue is not going to resolve matters.#

If the minority of English students on here stopped moaning and used that time more constructively to put together a diplomatic argument then that would have been more worthwhile than coming on here and spitting their dummies out. I'm not talking about all the English students as some have just accepted that its purely a part of parliament and some English have not resorted to blaming the Welsh for the decision. However there is a minority who instead of thinking logically about the whole issue they would rather cause disruption and tension with Welsh students.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what it's like to live in Wales?

If you don't then watch this.

We've had it hard for years so we deserve something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_nuy8zSo4

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, bulletproof - that's a bit brutal! I just read some insanely offensive Welsh bashing there.

I am Scottish - I do not support the English tuition fee rise AT ALL. However, I -like many Welsh students - am beginning to grow very weary of the attacks I am facing because of Scotland's stance with Uni fees. It's not my fault that England do not have their own Parliament to decide such matters - if the English campaign publicly for one, I am sure many Scottish and Welsh people will support it!!! However, don't sit and ***** about "how it's not fair" do something about it!!! and no, attacking police and setting fires doesn't count!

All this talk of "Scotland should go independent, Wales should get full devolution, N.I should reunify with Eire" is boring England, Scotland, Wales and N.I depend on each other and to deny it is just naive and foolish.

There is a reason why politicians have worked SO SO hard to prevent Scotland and Wales from getting a referendum on full independence.

I would love to hear Bulletproofs views on Scotland and Scottish - if he loathes Wales/Welsh so much, christ almighty what we're gonna get slung at us :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    We are.

We even dominate sport now.

The most successful player in the premiership ever - Ryan Giggs (welsh)

The best player in the premiership on form and in Europe - Gareth Bale (welsh)

The welsh are the future. All you English won't be able to afford university and Wales will take over and us Welsh will take all your jobs and invade your schools with sheep.

Just you wait !
    All you Welsh won't be able to afford University if you became fully independent from England either.

Take away English taxes and you'd have a hell of a lot less money to spend.

If you're just going to brag, then you're a ****.

(Before anyone says, I've lived in Wales for 5 years hence the "Wales" location, I am however, English).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seventy_times_7)
    Jesus, bulletproof - that's a bit brutal! I just read some insanely offensive Welsh bashing there.

I am Scottish - I do not support the English tuition fee rise AT ALL. However, I -like many Welsh students - am beginning to grow very weary of the attacks I am facing because of Scotland's stance with Uni fees. It's not my fault that England do not have their own Parliament to decide such matters - if the English campaign publicly for one, I am sure many Scottish and Welsh people will support it!!! However, don't sit and ***** about "how it's not fair" do something about it!!! and no, attacking police and setting fires doesn't count!

All this talk of "Scotland should go independent, Wales should get full devolution, N.I should reunify with Eire" is boring England, Scotland, Wales and N.I depend on each other and to deny it is just naive and foolish.

There is a reason why politicians have worked SO SO hard to prevent Scotland and Wales from getting a referendum on full independence.

I would love to hear Bulletproofs views on Scotland and Scottish - if he loathes Wales/Welsh so much, christ almighty what we're gonna get slung at us :P
    England don't depend on anyone, EU membership is more than enough to render Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland obsolete in that respect. Trade would be unimpeded by a break up, movement of people would be unimpeded.

The reason why politicians have stopped Wales and Scotland getting a referendum is that the Labour Party would lose half of it's seats if Scotland were to withdraw from the UK, and the Conservatives are still clinging on to the last remains of the Empire.

I'd be happy for Scotland to get a vote on independence, partly because it'd be funny to see the Scottish government begging to be allowed back into the Union in 5 years time.

And by the way even if 'It's boring' doesn't mean it's incorrect

ReputationRep:
    England don't depend on anyone, EU membership is more than enough to render Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland obsolete in that respect. Trade would be unimpeded by a break up, movement of people would be unimpeded.

The reason why politicians have stopped Wales and Scotland getting a referendum is that the Labour Party would lose half of it's seats if Scotland were to withdraw from the UK, and the Conservatives are still clinging on to the last remains of the Empire.

I'd be happy for Scotland to get a vote on independence, partly because it'd be funny to see the Scottish government begging to be allowed back into the Union in 5 years time.

And by the way even if 'It's boring' doesn't mean it's incorrect
    You failed with the first sentence.

http://newsnetscotland.com/economy/8...ing-rest-of-uk

ReputationRep:
    I am confused right now. I was brought up in wales moved out six seven years ago. I want to move back now so have applied to welsh universities, will the fees for postgrads be increased in 3.5 years or so?

Or is that too far away in the future to think about?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.