Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

World Cup 2018 Decision Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eldedu)
    World Cup 2002: South Korea and Japan (with a guest star appearance by farcical refereeing, who managed to get the useless hosts into semifinals)

World Cup 2010: South Africa

World Cup 2018: Russia

World Cup 2022: Qatar

Come on FIFA, if you want marketing that's fine but get it on your own time with your own money. Us real football fans would like to have a cup in a footballing country that isn't on the other side of the earth for once.

All I can say is, **** you FIFA.
    You jumped Germany 2006, hardly that far

ReputationRep:
    lol at wikipedia

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about football anymore :emo:

Qatar will destroy liberty literally ?!
      jokes

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FyreFight)
      cant wait for somalia 2026 myself
      It will be more entertaining than the Qatar world cup. More violence.

ReputationRep:
      On the plus side, we've got the Olympics to look forward to in 2012

ReputationRep:
      In Soviet Russia world cup wins you!

ReputationRep:
      Rightly or wrongly, just wait for the angry mob to lay the blame exclusively at the door of the BBC.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
      I was being sarcastic. Most people are raising valid points, but not you. You veer between racist outbursts of "SLAVS! SLAVS! THEY'VE GIVEN IT TO RUSSIAN SLAVS ARRGH!!?!?! :eek4: " And "[something so morbidly depressing it suggests I'm going to slit my wrists]"
      I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It is just that I actually got my hopes up! I tend to talk out of my arse when mad
      However I would argue that some of my points have been valid Anthony :fyi:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Organ)
      Don't say stuff like that :mad:
      I guess a silver lining is that if we don't hold a world cup until the 2030s, you might be able to watch matches with your kids... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by blueray)
      Qatar will destroy liberty literally ?!
      jokes

Oh come on even I didn't take it that far!

ReputationRep:
      arrrgh I hate athletics. I blame the boring, boring olympic games.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Addzter)
      I guess a silver lining is that if we don't hold a world cup until the 2030s, you might be able to watch matches with your kids... :dontknow:
      In 4D :cool:

ReputationRep:
      LOL Qatar.
      Alcohol only in small fan zones. Football fans known for being proud of their country. Drunk. Football fans. All of different countries. Like Sardines. FACEPALM

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
      The bid team, the public and the press are separate so you can't really treat them as one. And, as I've said, most people probably prefer a free press and the associated freedoms than hosting a football tournament.
      Well a free press gave us a pointless 30 min programme on a Monday night and lost the world cup for a generation, smart diplomacy gave the Russians well.........

What's your take on the selective dis application of alcohol laws under certain circumstances and the prominent advertising of an alcohol brand, Budweiser being a major sponsor of the World Cup, in Qatar?
      The same as it is in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and pretty much all of the Arab world, money talks first I suppose

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by py0alb)
      Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!

I meant, like, going to the world cup in Russia would be kinda scary.
      Yeah, I don't think I'll be going. Would have loved a nice Spanish/Portuguese holiday with football as well. And I have family in Australia if they had won the 2022 bid too.

ReputationRep:
      South Africa, Russia and Qatar...

I just hope the world cups in Russia and Qatar are better than the South African WC, which was the worst in living memory for me - ****ing abysmal world cup.

Not sure about Qatar - seems to me to be a case of rich moneymen bidding for the world cup to satisfy their own egos. Russia - reportedly need to build 14 new stadiums, so is there a demand for football in Russia and amongst the Russian people a demand and an enthusiasm to host a world cup??!

Regardless of all this, Blatter and FIFA need to be sorted out because it's a shadowy, mess, fail, of an organization.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Organ)
      The Russian government is run by the Mafia - I'm sure if the Russian media had done what our media did there would be a few journalists decomposing in Moscow's cemetries :mad: makes a few pissed Villa fans look like small fry. Russia has a history of being insular and xenophobic - unless something major changes in 8 years this world cup will be a shambles. Can you imagine a coachload of Ghanians turning up at Saransk bus terminal? :eek2:
      And how exactly did you manage to conclude from my post that I thought Russia had the best bid. It wasn't just Russia v England you know. I was just pointing out that whilst everyone is ****ging off Russia, some through generalisations and racist slurs, we should perhaps consider that England is not perfect either.

ReputationRep:

Don't worry, you'll be safe with this lot protecting you.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Organ)
      arrrgh I hate athletics. I blame the boring, boring olympic games.
      Don't see how that works. Brazil's got the Olympics and World Cup happening within 2 years of each other.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.