The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by T. Hereford
Yes, Exeter is very RAH. Jack Wills must do a roaring trade here as I saw so many students wearing it when I visited my mate studying at the uni a few months ago.

Oxford, Cambridge and St Andrews are very rah/posh and that's what springs to most people's minds when the question is asked. Exeter..........how interesting! :rolleyes: :wink:
Mate of mine went to York (his gf lived there) she's a middle-class bunt, but with more of a 'k' sound.

I'm middle class myself, but I really despise people like her, and hope she falls down a tall flight of steps right in front of me just so I can not help her.

Anyway, whilst in York he said there were literally people walking around like ''Oh I say!!'' or ''Tullyho old chap!''

Of course this is an exaggeration, but he wouldn't have said it if he didn't notice how bad it was. Guess that's consistent that Leeds is also pretty RAH>
Original post by JAZZA007
Oxford, Cambridge and St Andrews are very rah/posh and that's what springs to most people's minds when the question is asked. Exeter..........how interesting! :rolleyes: :wink:

Are you suggesting Exeter is not very RAH? Are you serious? Exeter is extremely RAH, of course it's not going to be as RAH as Oxbridge but it's not far behind along with Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Leeds, Newcastle, Nottingham and as you mentioned St. Andrews.
If this thread is anything to go by, all of England is extremely RAH, which isn't untrue if you think about it. You'll never meet RAHs that are welsh/scottish/irish people. Yes yes I know, your mates cousins boyfriends cat's vet's brother says this and that which would argue against my point. But I don't give a duck, and I can't pronounce efffs today.

So hows about this, posh english kids, go die.
(edited 13 years ago)
Leeds is pretty RAH, lots of Southerners too, it's rare you here a Northern accent up here which is a bit odd for me. It put me off a bit with everyone being so posh and all that but I live with 4 RAHs (and 3 none RAHs), and they're some of the nicest people I've ever met.
Oxford actually isn't that RAH at all. I don't go to the Uni, but I've lived there my entire life and for the most part people are just like standardly normal. I mean, there's RAH's everywhere, but not as many as people assume in Oxford.
Reply 206
Original post by maybe_my_dear
Leeds is pretty RAH, lots of Southerners too, it's rare you here a Northern accent up here which is a bit odd for me. It put me off a bit with everyone being so posh and all that but I live with 4 RAHs (and 3 none RAHs), and they're some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Yes, my mate's at Leeds Uni and there are lots of RAH there.
Original post by UniUni
Yes, my mate's at Leeds Uni and there are lots of RAH there.

Well my mate's granny's sister's one-night-stand's cousin told me Leeds isn't that bad

/this thread
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'rah'? I'm from northern Ireland and that term never comes up. We don't have posh people here lol
Original post by spocckka
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a 'rah'? I'm from northern Ireland and that term never comes up. We don't have posh people here lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU

Also, we do have them, just not those **** english accents they put on.
Reply 210
Original post by chrislpp
Well my mate's granny's sister's one-night-stand's cousin told me Leeds isn't that bad

/this thread

Hahaha!!!:biggrin: Joking aside, I've vistied Leeds Uni and heard several plummy voices and have never seen so many people wearing Jack Wills.
Reply 211
I've found proof straight from the horses mouth that Nottingham is RAH!! Here's a very good article about RAH's at Nottingham.

http://www.impactnottingham.com/2011/01/10323/
Reply 212
Mate of mine went to York (his gf lived there) she's a middle-class bunt, but with more of a 'k' sound.

I'm middle class myself, but I really despise people like her, and hope she falls down a tall flight of steps right in front of me just so I can not help her.

Anyway, whilst in York he said there were literally people walking around like ''Oh I say!!'' or ''Tullyho old chap!''

Of course this is an exaggeration, but he wouldn't have said it if he didn't notice how bad it was. Guess that's consistent that Leeds is also pretty RAH>

York has its share but I would hardly class it as a rah university, only 20% ish York students are from independant schools (compared to say Oxford where that figure is more like 50%).
And I have never heard anyone at York say things like "Tullyho old chap". Even the private school people I have met are pretty down-to-earth.
Depends how you define 'rah'.

If 'rah' is strictly measured in terms of the percentage of privately schooled students there are at a university, then Oxford/Cambridge/Durham/St. Andrews would probably win.

However, I get the impression that the rah attitude and behaviour does not really lend itself to Oxbridge. Durham is thriving with plummy voices and Jack Wills mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU

Also, we do have them, just not those **** english accents they put on.

Haha, I knew what that was before I clicked on it.
Original post by violenti
I am from London, and went to KCL, and I read Law getting a first by some fluke! I am now at Bristol doing a Masters. The big differenc I have noticed is that KCL, and similar Universities in London people work VERY, VERY hard and are a bit serious about it all. Whereas Bristol is contained in a much smaller area, and people party VERY hard indeed, which often means there is ALOT of effected poshniess and "Rahness". Bristol has that reputation and people I find , who come from the most ordinary backgrounds feel inclined to play up to the Bristol rep for rahs!. That said there is so much to do here socially , you can avoid the pretenders, and meet some seriously funny decent people who are up for a laugh. The truth is in my experience the real upper middle classes and landed gentry here shy away from their background, and are truly good company and non judgemental: It is the tier below who are *******! That said I love Bristol and wish I came here for my undergrad!

You doing an LLM then? I just got an offer to do the MA in Law at Bris, which I'm excited about. How do you find the department?
I think this whole 'rah' concept is ridiculous. It's based around people who have two items of clothing from Jack Wills in an attempt to be of a higher class than they are. Rich people with class (posh people) don't feel like they have to fit into a certain type of stereotype to appear affluent. Oxbridge, LSE and universities with affluent international students are posh. People have designer items from RESPECTED designers such as Mulberry, Chanel and Ferragamo and their clothes are subtle and classy.
Reply 217
definitely Newcastle, my friends live in Jesmond now they're in the their 2nd year & you can't walk to Tesco without someone head to toe in Jack Wills & their slippers haw-hawing about into Starbucks, massive backcombed hair & a massive bag even though theyre just going to get a coffee 2 seconds down the road. Bork.

So glad I'm going to Sheffield
Original post by Bobbler
definitely Newcastle, my friends live in Jesmond now they're in the their 2nd year & you can't walk to Tesco without someone head to toe in Jack Wills & their slippers haw-hawing about into Starbucks, massive backcombed hair & a massive bag even though theyre just going to get a coffee 2 seconds down the road. Bork.

So glad I'm going to Sheffield

HAHA

Been to Jesmond myself, I can't say it was much like this, but maybe this picture is the average 20 year old middle class student. People weren't very friendly though, but to be fair , I wasn't wearing all Jack Willis, actually some cheap slacks, so I guess they judged me as working class, and turned their noses up instantly.
Reply 219
oh snap, I just found the best song of 2010

(edited 13 years ago)