Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why have you NOT tried cannabis? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i don't know why i dont smoke it . i suppose a lot of people who do have issues with thier confidence and use the cannabis to become confident. in general you may see an extremely nervous person one day and then next day the same person would be the most confident person in the room. its not that there more confident than you its that there high on drugs.

ReputationRep:
    I cba to read all the replies. I have tried it, used to smoke it quite regularly but for me it was something you did when you were in your mid teens and then got over. I really don't understand all the people in their early 20s and older (much older in some cases) who smoke it every night. It doesn't even have much effect except to make people paranoid and, in my experience, pretty irrational after a few years of smoking it. I just don't see the appeal after the initial "omg I'm such a rebel I'm doing drugs!" stage.
    Without exception, the people I know who smoke it long term are, whilst nice and everything, a little f'd up from it.
    I imagine people who have never tried it just don't want to for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    My mum smoked weed very casually and just socially during uni and she suffers from severe short term memory loss as a direct result. Every time I consider whether I should when I'm offered, that just makes me realise that I don't want to. Plus all of my friends that have smoked weed say that alcohol is much more enjoyable for a night out. I only really drink when I'm going out so I don't think I'd treat smoking any differently.

ReputationRep:
    Cos I haven't. nor will I ever try it.

ReputationRep:
    -I hate the smell
    -It's illegal and I don't want any marks on my record and I respect the law [whether or not people believe the law is right]
    -It might be 'safer' than alcohol, but I've seen what it does to people and it sickens me
    -I don't like smoking anyway
    -I've suffered from terrible panic attacks etc in the past and I don't want to do anyhting which might bring one on again
    -I drink now and then and I enjoy it, but I've never felt the need to top up my 'escapism' with anything else

My ex was a stoner and I absolutely despise the drug now. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and I immediately think badly of people who smoke it. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spetznaaz)
    You've obviously never smoked it so i don't know how you can really say it's a waste of money and time.

Weed is a beautiful drug, one that yes can be abused, and like any drug has it's health risks (albeit minimal in comparison to alcohol and tobacco), but it can also give you so much, i'd be a completely different person today if i had never started smoking weed. It has open my eyes in a way.

But as i say, people do abuse it like any drug, and to think it's completely harmless is very naive.

And no, you generally don't get dizzy and it does not make you stupid, in fact it can bring out your creative side and make you appreciate things like music; you listen to a song and it feels much more.. personnel, you proper get into it, and if your really high, you can just close your eyes and the music just feels like it's flowing through you. waste of time? Maybe for you, not for me.

Edit - Also, i don't do it to look cool, i do it because i enjoy it and because there's so much more to reality and conciousness than we realise, so much more going on than our sober eyes perceive, and drugs in general let you experience new levels of being if you will. Lol little deep there
    My ex used to say stuff like that. How he was a different and better person because of it. It had opened his eyes etc etc.
    What he didn't realise was that he was a complete retard when he'd been smoking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krov)
    You sir, are illiterate.
    Read my posts.

God, I hate retards.
    How can I read your posts if I'm illiterate? Retard.

Also, illiterate people aren't classified as retarded, you could find yourself in some serious trouble if you make this mistake to people IRL. Also, I would rather be illiterate then a naive narrow minded [email protected] who can't think for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly LieDown)
    I have asthma. Just don't see the point in trying something (that smells disgusting and makes people behave like a moron) that could give me an asthma attack which could kill me. It's just common sense

I think people are a little hypocritical if they criticise those who smoke week because it's bad for you and addictive, if they then go out and get P****d, but not sure if anyone is really saying that on here. Still, I've met people like that and it's very annoying.
    Cannabis smoke is a bronchodilator, i.e it acts like your inhaler, it expands your airways. It would not give you an asthma attack, as long as you didn't roll with tobacco. And the smells of cannabis vary widely between strains, but i find it to be one of the nicest smells in the world, and as for acting like a moron... are you getting confused with alcohol?

There's plenty of people on here and irl who will happily get off their face on booze but look down on anyone who smokes weed and thinks it's the devils drug or some ****. It's a great example of brainwashing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becomingbindy)
    My mum smoked weed very casually and just socially during uni and she suffers from severe short term memory loss as a direct result. Every time I consider whether I should when I'm offered, that just makes me realise that I don't want to. Plus all of my friends that have smoked weed say that alcohol is much more enjoyable for a night out. I only really drink when I'm going out so I don't think I'd treat smoking any differently.
    It's been shown in many studies that while cannabis can cause short term memory loss, it is not permanent, severe short term memory loss could have been caused by many things, just because she used to smoke cannabis does not mean that's what caused it.

As for the alcohol being better thing, well it all depends where your going. You generally don't get high then go clubbing, if your going to a standard club night drinking would be best, if your going to a rave then mdma, but if your going somewhere to chill and listen to music weed is ideal. There's plenty of places here in bristol that let you smoke weed in the smoking area and some that even let you smoke inside.

(Original post by fredscarecrow)
    -I hate the smell
    -It's illegal and I don't want any marks on my record and I respect the law [whether or not people believe the law is right]
    -It might be 'safer' than alcohol, but I've seen what it does to people and it sickens me
    -I don't like smoking anyway
    -I've suffered from terrible panic attacks etc in the past and I don't want to do anyhting which might bring one on again
    -I drink now and then and I enjoy it, but I've never felt the need to top up my 'escapism' with anything else

My ex was a stoner and I absolutely despise the drug now. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole and I immediately think badly of people who smoke it. Sorry.
    - Subjective - I love the smell
    - It's illegal but shouldn't be, and if it wasn't for people standing up to unjust laws, black people would still be sitting on separate sides of the bus.
    - What have you seen it do to people exactly?
    - Fair enough - but you don't have to smoke it
    - A good reason not to smoke it - it's not for everyone
    - A lot of people don't do drugs simply to escape.

You admitted your own hypocrisy then - you drink but you look down on people for doing a drug you even admitted was not as harmful as alcohol

Fair enough if you never want to use cannabis, and with a history of panic attacks i don't think you ever should, however, don't sit there and judge people like me, while you will happily drink alcohol.

My ex used to say stuff like that. How he was a different and better person because of it. It had opened his eyes etc etc.
    What he didn't realise was that he was a complete retard when he'd been smoking it.
    How was he a retard? I've never seen cannabis make someone intelligent stupid - i've seen many intelligent people use it to help the creativity flow, and i've seen retards smoke it and sit around all day doing nothing.. but i've never seen a smart person high, doing retarded things they wouldnt do sober.. as for alcohol however.. the amount of things i;ve done which are completely retarded and i regret... well i've lost count.

ReputationRep:
    Because it is, to put it bluntly, horrible stuff. I am happy to admit to having conventional cigarettes occasionally and also to having the knowledge that cannabis smoking does not carry the risk of cancer in the same way as the former. My reasoning for not trying cannabis is simply that I have seen it cause its worst possible effects in people around me, the potential prospect of which has deterred me for life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Because no one has ever offered it to me without tobacco.
    Go to Amsterdam!

ReputationRep:
    In all truth, anyone who hasn't had cannabis before isn't missing much :/ I've always found it distinctly underwhelming, I don't really understand why it's so popular.

Also I wouldn't be fooled by the Netherlands "liberal" drug laws, Portugal is the real progressive country in these terms. Especially as they're planning on banning tourists from buying cannabis.

Seems incredably stupid really as Locals will just buy it and sell it on to tourists... creating a whole new catagory of criminals. Though I guess there's the added "why bother?" aspect invoked, why would tourists bother going to Amsterdam to buy Cannabis illegaly when they can buy it illegaly at home? It's not exactly like it's hard to find. Don't really see the point of them trying to shake the "Drug tourism" image of Amsterdam, as that only leaves what.. the sex tourism image? Pretty stupid moral decision in my opinion not to mention the amount of money they'll lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooljack)
    In all truth, anyone who hasn't had cannabis before isn't missing much :/ I've always found it distinctly underwhelming, I don't really understand why it's so popular.

Also I wouldn't be fooled by the Netherlands "liberal" drug laws, Portugal is the real progressive country in these terms. Especially as they're planning on banning tourists from buying cannabis.
    If I had a choice between poppers and cannabis - I had to choose one, and the other I could never have again, I'd stay with the poppers (which are for some reason legal).
    So I do see your point there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spetznaaz)

- Subjective - I love the smell
    - It's illegal but shouldn't be, and if it wasn't for people standing up to unjust laws, black people would still be sitting on separate sides of the bus.
    - What have you seen it do to people exactly?
    - Fair enough - but you don't have to smoke it
    - A good reason not to smoke it - it's not for everyone
    - A lot of people don't do drugs simply to escape.

You admitted your own hypocrisy then - you drink but you look down on people for doing a drug you even admitted was not as harmful as alcohol

Fair enough if you never want to use cannabis, and with a history of panic attacks i don't think you ever should, however, don't sit there and judge people like me, while you will happily drink alcohol.

How was he a retard? I've never seen cannabis make someone intelligent stupid - i've seen many intelligent people use it to help the creativity flow, and i've seen retards smoke it and sit around all day doing nothing.. but i've never seen a smart person high, doing retarded things they wouldnt do sober.. as for alcohol however.. the amount of things i;ve done which are completely retarded and i regret... well i've lost count.
    The thread asked why I don't smoke it. I don't like the smell. I know that's subjective, but it's one of my reasons.
    I know people don't agree with it being illegal, but at the end of the day it is. There are many ways to fight against rules without breaking laws in the process, and comparing basic human rights with the use of drugs is ridiculous.
    My partner used to think I couldn't tell when he was smoking - he was more 'creative', calmer, less likely to get agitated [all his descriptions]. In reality he was slow, stupid, frequently rude and gnerally annoying and not at all like himself. He had no concept of this side of himself, because what he saw whilst he was stoned was totally different to what other people saw. Weed lost him his education and his chances at a proper job, and ultimately our relationship. It doesn't 'retard' you in the way alcohol does, but alcohol is immediate and short lasting. Weed is long-term and thus, in my mind, more dangerous because people don't realise what it does to them.

I'll judge people because I want to. Everyone judges people, for various reasons. For the clothes you wear, for the shops you go to, for the subject you study. I dislike the use of illegal drugs...whether or not they should be illegal. Therefore I judge people for using them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    If I had a choice between poppers and cannabis - I had to choose one, and the other I could never have again, I'd stay with the poppers (which are for some reason legal).
    So I do see your point there.
    I've never done poppers, but i know there effects, and i don't get how you could choose them over cannabis..

ReputationRep:
    There are many ways to fight against rules without breaking laws in the process, and comparing basic human rights with the use of drugs is ridiculous.
    Is it not a human right to do whatever you want to your own body?

ReputationRep:
    alcohol is immediate and short lasting. Weed is long-term
    Eh? How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooljack)

Seems incredably stupid really as Locals will just buy it and sell it on to tourists... creating a whole new catagory of criminals. Though I guess there's the added "why bother?" aspect invoked, why would tourists bother going to Amsterdam to buy Cannabis illegaly when they can buy it illegaly at home? It's not exactly like it's hard to find. Don't really see the point of them trying to shake the "Drug tourism" image of Amsterdam, as that only leaves what.. the sex tourism image? Pretty stupid moral decision in my opinion not to mention the amount of money they'll lose.
    The Netherlands aren't bringing that in, firstly it was dated over a year ago and secondly there was another review and they're not doing it for the amount of tourism they would lose.

ReputationRep:
    The thread asked why I don't smoke it. I don't like the smell. I know that's subjective, but it's one of my reasons.
    I know people don't agree with it being illegal, but at the end of the day it is. There are many ways to fight against rules without breaking laws in the process, and comparing basic human rights with the use of drugs is ridiculous.
    My partner used to think I couldn't tell when he was smoking - he was more 'creative', calmer, less likely to get agitated [all his descriptions]. In reality he was slow, stupid, frequently rude and gnerally annoying and not at all like himself. He had no concept of this side of himself, because what he saw whilst he was stoned was totally different to what other people saw. Weed lost him his education and his chances at a proper job, and ultimately our relationship. It doesn't 'retard' you in the way alcohol does, but alcohol is immediate and short lasting. Weed is long-term and thus, in my mind, more dangerous because people don't realise what it does to them.

I'll judge people because I want to. Everyone judges people, for various reasons. For the clothes you wear, for the shops you go to, for the subject you study. I dislike the use of illegal drugs...whether or not they should be illegal. Therefore I judge people for using them.
    It is very comparable to human rights. Being told what you can and can't consume is a direct violation of my rights as a sovereign being.

I can't comment on your ex, but as i have said before, cannabis can cause some people problems when abused.

But weed did not lose him his education, he lost it. He had the choice. It's like, if you sit around smoking weed all day and waste your life, you can't blame the weed. It's the persons choice, they choose to sit around all day smoking doing nothing.

You can judge all you want, but you are a hypocrite. And not everyone judges people for what they wear, shops they go to etc, i certainly don't.

I do judge people like you though, people who are narrow minded and ignorant - i'm not trying to insult you, but how can you judge a person because of a substance they consume? You should judge a person on who they are, not things like if they drink or smoke or what not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    OP I think everyone has at least tried weed. I don't really understand how people could not at some point in their life :erm:
    Because I don't feel the need to. Just because somebody offers me something, doesn't mean I have to take it.

I'm happy enough keeping busy with work, sports, going out and such, so I don't feel the need for a drugs high, or more suitably, I don't think it'd be worth the money.

My work involves drugs tests regardless, not worth losing a job over.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.