Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    So?

They will never, ever be on par with the likes of Harvard/Oxbridge.
    Neither will alot of the Ivy League universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    That'll teach you idiots to vote Lib Dem or Tory again.

Also, don't vote Labour, idiots. Just don't vote.
    A country with NO government..
    I'm sure that would work out.
    Maybe we should have yourself as PM?

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap.

ReputationRep:
    Will be scrapped in 2011.
    Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    So?

They will never, ever be on par with the likes of Harvard/Oxbridge.
    Why ever not?

An increase in funding means that they could easily attract much better internationally recognized lecturers and also use money to set up links with big companies for certain subjects they teach.

Also certain universities below Oxford are better at some subjects than Oxford itself so its much more worthwhile looking at subject tables rather than the overall table.

A lot said Facebook wouldn't topple MySpace - it did.
    Someone said Apple would never take off - they did.

You may have made another silly assumption to stick to that list.

ReputationRep:
    Tough ****, Medicine is competitive. If you can't afford it, someone else will.
    This is coupled with the time you re-quoted me. You talk about all the support for poorer families (I agree with amounts you quoted btw) but are you taking into account the rises in general maintenance too? I assume you're from a wealthy family after looking at your comments so I guess that security has alienated you about the difficulties a lot of graduates will face. Not all will get jobs that earn the £21,000 and they may have to also provide for their families. Just try and put yourself in their shoes. Whilst for a lot of people they will pay less over time inevitably a good amount of students will be put off from going to university, whether from ignorance after not looking at the Browne review or from realising the problems graduates face now and knowing that they will have to deal with these same problems AND have to deal with more debt. You can't deny that but I do agree with you that a lot just haven't paid attention to what the review proposes but I feel you lack empathy for people in poor families.

I don't have this problem since I'm already at university (1st year Biochemistry), the fees won't affect me. Why I'm angry with the review is the cut in government support to universities in the first place (for which they are making up for with the rise in tuition fees). My hope is to become a researcher/lecturer at a university and these cuts to education WILL affect me and my work.

(Original post by jb9191)
      Why ever not?

An increase in funding means that they could easily attract much better internationally recognized lecturers and also use money to set up links with big companies for certain subjects they teach.

Also certain universities below Oxford are better at some subjects than Oxford itself so its much more worthwhile looking at subject tables rather than the overall table.

A lot said Facebook wouldn't topple MySpace - it did.
      Someone said Apple would never take off - they did.

You may have made another silly assumption to stick to that list.
      True Imperial/UCL may be better than Oxford/Cambridge than some subjects - but overall, definitely not.

Simply because of the history than Oxbridge have which Imperial/UCL will never attain.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hooj)
      Mickey Mouse degrees get you over 21k just not worth going to uni for when you can go straight from College to get that amount. May aswell pick something better.
      No you can't...
      21k is about £10 per hour.

If you want to earn over 21k a year, you don't go for a micky mouse degree.
      You don't study 'surfing management' or 'music history' for three years, with the expectation of being able to earn a good wage.

Many go for those such degree's simply because they wanted to go to experience university 'and the crack'.

(Original post by sicarius1992)
        This is coupled with the time you re-quoted me. You talk about all the support for poorer families (I agree with amounts you quoted btw) but are you taking into account the rises in general maintenance too? I assume you're from a wealthy family after looking at your comments so I guess that security has alienated you about the difficulties a lot of graduates will face. Not all will get jobs that earn the £21,000 and they may have to also provide for their families. Just try and put yourself in their shoes. Whilst for a lot of people they will pay less over time inevitably a good amount of students will be put off from going to university, whether from ignorance after not looking at the Browne review or from realising the problems graduates face now and knowing that they will have to deal with these same problems AND have to deal with more debt. You can't deny that but I do agree with you that a lot just haven't paid attention to what the review proposes but I feel you lack empathy for people in poor families.

I don't have this problem since I'm already at university (1st year Biochemistry), the fees won't affect me. Why I'm angry with the review is the cut in government support to universities in the first place (for which they are making up for with the rise in tuition fees). My hope is to become a researcher/lecturer at a university and these cuts to education WILL affect me and my work.

They don't pay a penny. If someone is, for example, on a £20,000 income until 30 years - they effectively have had a "free" education.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tnetinbum)
        Blastoise may not be the greatest Water type, but Swampert would **** any fire type's **** up.
        Charizard uses Grass Knot. Swampert fainted.

ReputationRep:
        the Lib Dems have no back bone, they're just Cameron's *****es now. They're never going to be voted in now, they've gone against their views.
        I'm hate this government..they don't care one bit about us, they're just all sat in London in their massive houses, they can't even imagine how this will affect some students.
        I can't wait till I can vote.

ReputationRep:
        The courses there are taught in English, right?
        Apparently about 10% of the courses are in English. I took 70 credits there and did twenty in an English-compulsory course, 30 in a Norwegian only course, and 20 in a Norwegian or English course (we did it in Norwegian as everyone could speak it well enough, but if someone couldn't then it would have been in English, I'm not sure if this counts towards the stated 10% or not).

ReputationRep:
        I thought the reason why fees before were low or non existant was justified by high rates of taxation...

So effectively us students are paying for the governments (and those prior) poor decisions on top of just funding education our education.

This whole escapade seems rediculous when university education is becoming evermore embedded in the education and learning process to enter the work place. Sure, it would fairer to implement such fees if it was a elitist thing, but where its needed to get into any decent job going, it should surely be provided by the state like college education.

University seems to be the place where the brighter, more academic or otherwise students go as opposed to colleges (say, to do pumbing.) So the brightest are being hit the hardest in terms of both cost, debt and being 'priced out' of professional qualification, especially medics who arguably contribute the most to society. The whole thing is wrong.

Luckily im not going to be hit by this but my brother and sister are, we're in the 'squeezed middle' and they're both 15 and 13 respectively and they both don't want to go due to the debt (and i know plenty of people who are 16/17 who feel the same way, who would have gone otherwise.) Its stupid to give the £21k+ answer to this, particularly when the average salery in the UK is above this. Yay, being penalised for getting educated which in grand scheme of things contributes more to society (in terms of positive externalities) and its impact on our economies productive capacity :\ Counter intuitive or what :\

ReputationRep:
        I was sorry to hear the fee increase went through. Of course those of you who do go to University will be high paying customers and in any industry that demands a certain respect.

I think there will be a lot of suing if people pay £6000-9000 and come out with less than a 2:1. For these high prices you should insist on a level of tuition bordering on the level of private tuition.

(Original post by ViralRiver)
          Charizard uses Grass Knot. Swampert fainted.
          Charizard can use Grass Knot now? God, I really haven't played that game in a while.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by mattdst)
          This whole escapade seems rediculous when university education is becoming evermore embedded in the education and learning process to enter the work place
          Defiantly have to quote this, just because of how true it is.
          Yes, a lot of people go to uni and don't have a specific job in mind.
          However, a degree these days is quite essential really. Even if a job doesn't really need a degree, you will often struggle to get an interview if you do not have a degree.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by TheSownRose)
          Well, actually, it is...
          Geez a lot people quoted me on this, I meant as a Uk students, if you study abroad, they will treat you as an international student and you will pay a lot (it might be cheap for europe but not as cheap as Uk student staying at home than going abroad)

(Original post by perrytheplatypus)
            But if you cut the number of skilled labourers, when these jobs do eventually materialise, we'll have to bring in foreigners to do them because not enough people will have gone to uni and learnt the skills required.
            Immigration numbers have been very high, usually justified by people saying that we need them because we're low on skilled workers. However, we have all these graduates out of work, so why can't they take these jobs?

ReputationRep:
            Good.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Qaz25)
            I Lol'd because I actually spoilt my vote

£6000... maximum of £9000 meh

Very affordable. That is definitely worth my 4 lectures a week :rolleyes: Oh and can someone please tell me how this could possibly increase/keep demand at the same level for university places :confused:

And to be honest... it's a conservative government... and I don't think the conservatives have ever been for the lower and lower middle classes right?
            You're not just paying for your own lectures. You're paying for lecturers to do their own research, staff conferences etc.....

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.