Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by domino0806)
      Why is it always the left-wing peasants that riot?
      That must mean you then?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

The vote went through. Tuition fees have been raised.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.
      At least we killed off the Lib Dems. 1988-2010 R.I.P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FaraxZeroIncome)
      At least we killed off the Lib Dems. 1988-2010 R.I.P
      As far as I know the Lib Dems are still alive, and will continue into the next election.

ReputationRep:
      Well shame! The tax payer has to pay for the damages. Glad i'm not a tax payer

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by meenu89)
      As far as I know the Lib Dems are still alive, and will continue into the next election.
      No, thay iz ded yo.

ReputationRep:
      No, thay iz ded yo.
      Riiiiiiiiiight? :s
      I don't think that is the case. If anything, after the next election they could go back to being the third largest party or even join the tories to continue this coalition- which has been brilliant.

ReputationRep:
      Well yes but as they have changed their stance dramatically on things they campaigned heavily on they have probably alienated their core voters quite conclusively by now. It seems very likely they will simply be amalgamated into the Tory party.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by goose1990)
      How do you still not get it?!? If one more idiot says people "can't afford to go to university" I'm going to crack. You get a loan, you don't pay this back until/if you start earning over 21k. They've also made part-time study the same as this which it wasn't before hence making it possible for people who can only study part time to "afford" uni. If people don't go to uni because of the fees rise then clearly they are incapable of realising what a good investment it is (or the degree they want to do isn't a good investment in which case the economy would be better off by having them working).

OKAY fair enough : )
      Well I would take a loan, but I pay 20,000 pounds a year instead as an international student - but my parents value education, as do I.
      I hadn't thought about it in that way but it still doesn't change the fact thta people will be paying 3 times more in 2012 than the students of 2011, which is quite a large increase.

ReputationRep:
      Only in your mind.

Their tenure may be much shorter than you think.

(Original post by blueray)
        That must mean you then?
        What?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
        I don't think that is the case. If anything, after the next election they could go back to being the third largest party or even join the tories to continue this coalition- which has been brilliant.
        No, thay iz loozin fitty procent af the votaz.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

ReputationRep:
        No, thay iz loozin fitty procent af the votaz.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
        Only 44% disapprove of this coalition. Over 50% would disapprove if it was a Lib-Lab coalition. The party isn't going to die.

I hope the coalition continues well after the 2015 election.

ReputationRep:
        I totally disagree with the fees protesters I think it's obvious that no one wants to pay money if they don't have to. The vote has been taken and the new system will be implemented, over the rest of the term of the parliament the economy will hopefully improve and by the time of the next election people will vote and if the economy is good the tory (maybe with the liberals again as I think they are doing a good job) will be re elected, if it is bad, then will probably get another hung parliament. Labour will not be easily forgiven for ruining the economy.

ReputationRep:
        It is a necessary step - the economy has been screwed by Labour (thanks for that... -_- ) and the money needs to be recovered from somewhere. However, it would have been better to raise the fees for overseas students before those for UK students as that would probably gain more money than the current raise has done. This would also lower the immigration rate, vacate more university places for UK students who currently cannot get into university or find it much harder to get in due to overseas students who, although many are worthy of getting in, many others cannot cope due to the language barrier etcetc. Once they have done this, they should have raised our fees to a lesser degree - say £5k a year. This would gain the same amount of money with less controversy thus solving a significant number of problems.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
        By this, are you saying that during the next election, they will lose their position of third largest party? Or have I misunderstood this?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by xxscoobyxx)
        It is a necessary step - the economy has been screwed by Labour (thanks for that... -_- ) and the money needs to be recovered from somewhere.
        But raising fees does nothing to help the short term deficit.
        The government still have to fund the (now increased) student loans, so will still be out of pocket until at least when the loans start to get paid back (probably around 2020 ish). Even then, a large number of students will not pay back the loans, so the government will be out of pocket.

But they would have lost the support of a larger number of those who voted for them this time around. Without the student vote, they probably won't have even been in coalition.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by joshphillips999)
        By this, are you saying that during the next election, they will lose their position of third largest party? Or have I misunderstood this?
        I am not psychic. They could continue with this coalition government right after the election or they could go separate and decide they want to be in opposition to Labour or the tories.

I hope the tories win.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by WelshBluebird)
        Nice ignoring the fact that there were a lot of middle class people there too.
        Indeed, the guy who was trying to climb up the cenotaph was the son of the pink floyd guitarist. Hardly a "peasant".
        And a massive prick who apparently didn't know what it was despite doing history at Cambridge

So, some whiny middle class do gooders with their iphones and ipods are on these protests, how does that make them any more justified?

Do you really think they will give a **** when they grow up and are more interested in making enough money to send their kids to public school than giving a **** about the plight of the so called 'poor'?

ReputationRep:
        Nice to know you've been taking part OP. Spectator -___-

ReputationRep:
        Is it just me or has everybody just about had enough of this joke of a demonstration? The focus has completely deviated from the actual issue and is now more about how much damage will be done and how to blame the police for doing their job and protecting the public.

I honestly hope the protest planned for 20th doesnt go ahead and if it does, the police should be very heavy handed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.