Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If London was destroyed, which city should be Britain's new capital? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    I can't find it the moment but I definitely remember reading it somewhere on OPSI or a similar site.
    Belfast is closer to London than Edinburgh :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Belfast is closer to London than Edinburgh :dontknow:
    But not in Great Britain, it isn't on the "UK mainland".

ReputationRep:
    Winchester!

it was the capital before London...a bit small but not a bad place (except a couple of locations which, as with any place, are a tad run down...)

ReputationRep:
    Grimsby.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeFreak229)
    Manchester baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When you you say you can talk about anything, are you making reference to the greatness of your knowledge?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Manchester or Birmingham probably. Although they may go to Cardiff or Edinburgh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    But not in Great Britain, it isn't on the "UK mainland".
    But that shouldn't be the question; Great Britain is just an island and not a political entity, London is not the capital of Great Britain as Great Britain doesn't have a capital in the first place, though that was the error of the OP. I'm not convinced that this act of parliament exists or is currently in law, but if we are discussing the UK, which is what I assume the OP to have meant (and also which is what the law you mentioned would have to refer to), then Belfast is indeed the closest capital of the UK to London, being on the mainland isn't important. Northern Ireland is every bit a part of the UK as England, Scotland or Wales, so it wouldn't exactly be fair to disqualify it alone yet count the other 3 just because they are connected to another. There's no precedence for discounting Northern Island from any similar law just because it's a few miles of water away and there's reason to suggest it would be here. Though I have to doubt also Wales being qualified as a principality; there's no doubt that historically it was such, but in 1948 parliament returned its legal identity as a country in the UK, and the fact that it gained a National Assembly in 1998 cements it being a country rather than a principality. So, in theory if the act exists the order of precedence could only be Cardiff, Belfast then Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Birmingham I imagine. Isn't that the next biggest city in England?
    No, no, no! Anything BUT Birmingham!

ReputationRep:
    Why Oxford of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaloo)
    Wait, what? There are cities outside of London??

Never mind that, there are countries bigger than the UK! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh pls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    How on Earth does Bristol come ahead of Leeds in the pecking order?

I repeat what I said earlier, Leeds is Britain's biggest financial, business and legal services centre outside London. Bristol is insignificant in comparison.
    Because it's a northern ****hole?

As for legal and financial services centre: Edinburgh ****s all over Leeds in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester. Economically, culturually and historically more important than Birmingham.

And correct me if I'm wrong but the UK doesn't have an "official capital", it'd probably be by deafult England's new capital which could and should be Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    How about Oxford or somewhere like that?
    why would you want that village to be a capital? O_______o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Because it's a northern ****hole?

As for legal and financial services centre: Edinburgh ****s all over Leeds in that regard.
    A northern ****hole? Have you ever been to Leeds?

And as for your second point, you are wrong. Just look at the figures.

ReputationRep:
    Staines, though it has its name for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of Edinburgh being the new capital city.

ReputationRep:
    York.

ReputationRep:
    London xD
    All the other cities look like as if they are stuck in the victorian times or suttin

ReputationRep:
    My house.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.