Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    I don't know whether I want to watch this or not.
    I love the Swan Lake Ballet, it's so beautiful.
    But this just seems to 'Hollywoodise' it.
    The Swan Lake should be kept classical, not for a psychological thriller. Or if it was to be done, I think it could have been done better.

Or am I wrong? Shall I give it a go or not?
    Swan Lake is a tragedy, and if it could be made in any kind of genre, I think psychological thriller is the best.
    Darren Aronofsky is not your typical "Hollywood" director (have you seen his previous films?), so there is no reason why this film would be "Hollywoodised". And as someone else added, you can't possibly know it could have been done better, if you haven't seen it.

I liked it and was going to add that you should see it, but on the other side, I don't think you'd appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxy27)
    Doesn't this movie just **** with your mind.
    *nods* I still don't know what was real! Damn the bloody boundaries between psychosis and normality...

(Original post by spacepirate-James)
    It's amazing. Loved the clubbing scene. Didn't realise the club-music was from the Swan Lake ballet.

EDIT: Dear Swan Lake die-hards. The club music is like the bass-line beat (or something) of one of the songs from Swan Lake, slowed down and synthesised a little. It's not naff.

LOVE Darren Aronofsky. LOVE Natalie Portman.

It's not really about Swan Lake. :erm: The ballet is just a vehicle for the much more interesting psychological aspects of theatre/the character in general.
    BiB: Didn't realise! I feel like watching it again!

ReputationRep:
    Best film I've seen in a looong time.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it's given me nightmares for a week, it's disturbing

ReputationRep:
    Saw it again last night - still blew me away <3

ReputationRep:
    We went to see this last week and really liked it
    However I must say I found it pretty scary, but that might just be me, some people found the 'scary' bits hilarious...When walking home from the busstop it was pitch black and chucking it down, I kept thinking Nina's mum was gonna jump out of a bush and attack me, not nice! But overall, I thought it was really gripping and the plot was interesting...would definitely recommend it...unless you're squeamish/a major wuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    However I must say I found it pretty scary, but that might just be me, some people found the 'scary' bits hilarious...When walking home from the busstop it was pitch black and chucking it down, I kept thinking Nina's mum was gonna jump out of a bush and attack me, not nice! But overall, I thought it was really gripping and the plot was interesting...would definitely recommend it...unless you're squeamish/a major wuss.
    Yeah I hate nervous laughter from other people when I'm in the zone in the cinema. That plus the people next to me immediately talking about it ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    I watched it last week, have to admit it was pretty amazing, some scenes just freaked me out, some made me happy, and some made me happy even more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Yeah I hate nervous laughter from other people when I'm in the zone in the cinema. That plus the people next to me immediately talking about it ¬¬
    Yeah, I know! We had annoying people too...the guys behind were getting completely over excited during the lesbian sex scene and the person in front wouldn't put her phone away :mad:
    How did you react to her mum being there in the chair when she was touching herself? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, that also scared me to death!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    I read a review that said Winona Ryder is immense in the short time she's on screen, what did you think?
    she is fantastic in it.

the bit that got was the first time she goes into the moms room and just one picture looks at her, its only there for half a second but spooked me, and then when her legs become swan legs in the room, i just went argh in sympathy.

I thought it was a really good film, wierd but good, i kept expecting mila kuris charachter to be all in her imagination.

anyway i do reccomend it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know! We had annoying people too...the guys behind were getting completely over excited during the lesbian sex scene and the person in front wouldn't put her phone away :mad:
    How did you react to her mum being there in the chair when she was touching herself? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, that also scared me to death!
    Haha the first time I saw it I was just like o_O and a bit lol, the second time I just waited for everyone else's reaction and laughed lol.

When I saw it last night there were some people who were SO jumpy! It was distracting but still quite entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was wonderful. I'm a big horror fan so I liked all the scary parts. ^_^

ReputationRep:
    When I saw it the second time this group of 12 year olds laughed at EVERYTHING, it's not a comedy ffs

And having Winona Ryder become irrelevant as Natalie Portman replaces her was flawless casting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    she is fantastic in it.

the bit that got was the first time she goes into the moms room and just one picture looks at her, its only there for half a second but spooked me, and then when her legs become swan legs in the room, i just went argh in sympathy.

I thought it was a really good film, wierd but good, i kept expecting mila kuris charachter to be all in her imagination.

anyway i do reccomend it
    Yeah, the swan legs definitely freaked me out! Such a weird but wonderful film...never seen anything quite like it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Haha the first time I saw it I was just like o_O and a bit lol, the second time I just waited for everyone else's reaction and laughed lol.

When I saw it last night there were some people who were SO jumpy! It was distracting but still quite entertaining.
    Oh I definitely wouldn't go see it again! As much as I loved it, as I said, it was a bit too scary for my liking. I think I might have jumped more during this than I did during Paranormal Activity! The one good (but also) bad thing was that you knew something awful was going to happen when the music starting building up in a really dramatic cresendo...perpared me for it but gave me time get even more worked up about it aahh I'm such a wuss.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm I expected more from that film after all the hype. It's exactly the same with inception for me. Everyone sees it first and tells me it's the best film in X amount of years when really I think it's good but not amazing. I think inception is better than this film though. I think I'd have preferred it if they went a bit more down the horror route and I don't even like horror, but it might have left me sitting at the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next a bit more. Also, what do people think about the ending? I don't want to give it away but for me I just don't understand how nobody realised what was happening to her. I might go into more depth when I find out how to do spoilers

I think considering all of the hype, if I could describe this film in one word it would be 'meh'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    When I saw it the second time this group of 12 year olds laughed at EVERYTHING, it's not a comedy ffs

And having Winona Ryder become irrelevant as Natalie Portman replaces her was flawless casting
    Did you not find some things laughable at times though?

ReputationRep:
    It was GENIUS, really good story line.

Slightly hardcore, but awesome all the same..have to say my enjoyment of it may of had something to do with the priceless reactions to the lesbian scenes of my friend( guy btw) :P I shall never let him forget it mahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haribo kid)
    Did you not find some things laughable at times though?
    It was deliberately melodramatic, and I did giggle at some parts (e.g. the biting scene) but I wouldn't say laughable. It gets annoying when the people obviously didn't realise what type of film it was so just sit there laughing inanely at things that really aren't funny...

ReputationRep:
    i hated it! i thought the ballet was amazing and i do love natalie portman but i was shocked at the amount of sexy time that went on in it i have now decided i dont like psychological thrillers :P :L

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.