There goes my chances of an A*

ReputationRep:
    there goes my chances of going into uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smj14)
    there goes my chances of going into uni
    There's still June!

ReputationRep:
    what the F** was this exam was all about? Hardest exam ever done,,, and everything i learnt didnttt even come up.. im so pissed.. from the start till the end ... proably got an U or just about an E... and in the mocks and previous exam was getting higher.

what did you guys think??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    what the F** was this exam was all about? Hardest exam ever done,,, and everything i learnt didnttt even come up.. im so pissed.. from the start till the end ... proably got an U or just about an E... and in the mocks and previous exam was getting higher.

what did you guys think??
    yup very very difficult exam compared to past papers.

Seriously so pissed off at the board, vague and weird questions. Its fine if there a few but ALMOST ALL of them were vague and weird.

ReputationRep:
    It was a tough paper indeed. Hopefully grade boundaries will be lowwww.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god I'm not the only one who thought it was tough.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme??

ReputationRep:
    Well, I know what exam I'm retaking in the summer....

For the question about why it's easier to recycle the polymers in nappies than the polymers in mixed compounds (or something like that) I put that mixed polymers have stronger IMF and more energy is needed to break the bonds and separate the chains.... My friends said that was wrong. ): What did everyone else put for that question?

And I completely messed up that last question. Apparently you weren't supposed to divide by 1000. *facepalm*

ReputationRep:
    So...where were BOS/DNA/Recrystallisation in that exam?

ReputationRep:
    Am I allowed to say I thought it was a really good paper? There was loads of physicsy stuff and almost no biology, which was good for me, but might not be good for all you biologists...

ReputationRep:
    Were OCR smoking crack through their eyeballs when they wrote this ****? What the **** was all this paper about? As if all the synoptic crap like E/Z Isomerism, IR Spectroscopy and cross linkages wasn't enough, they then twist all of the A2 course content into vague, impossible and non-related rubbish. I am seriously pissed off at OCR for writing such a crap paper, which we are all now going to have to pay to resit, what a surprise. I am genuinely shocked that they can write papers as crap, vague and unrelated as this. Did they actually read this paper when they'd finished and think they'd done a good job?

Anyway yeah completely screwed up the paper, I really don't think I knew the answer to 85% of the questions. The first question was just ridiculous - it was on What's in a Medicine. Why do they question us on molecules that we haven't studied? I'm pretty sure that we were supposed to assume that molecule would just do the same thing as a phenol, even though they added in double carbon bonds etc. I've looked in the textbook and the reactions of phenols gets about a quarter of a page in writing - no diagrams or anything. Then when the rest of What's in a Med topic came up (reactions of esters, carboxylic acids) it was woefully vague and massively unapparent. The other topics, Steel Story, Materials Revolution, and Thread of Life were just focused around completely unrelated things - they didn't test us on the core course content. Materials revolution was basically all synoptic with that cross links crap and Thread of Life was that DNA/mRNA thing and I have genuinely never even covered that and I have an excellent chemistry teacher.

Out of ten I would give this paper minus infinity.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to read the calculcation question right, so I got 7.92 x 10 (to some ridiculously negative power). Surely I get method marks though, right?

Also, colorimetry thew me, because it was in such a different context. Probably lost loads of stupid little marks on questions about nappies (:lolwut:) aswell.

ReputationRep:
    January 2010 raw mark was 65
    June 2010 raw mark was 64
    (For an A, out of 90)

Is this a trend emerging do you think?
    Surely they can't drop it to high 50s?!?!

ReputationRep:
    From what I've been hearing, lots of people found this exam one of the toughest of this exam cycle. Seems that an in-depth knowledge of synoptic topics (F332!) was required for this exam. They seemed to like H-Bonding rather alot, and the questions on the Ni-Cd half cell seemed a little ambiguous; not to mention the question on the reduced amounts of reactants affecting the rate equation...

Overall: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpurkis1)
    From what I've been hearing, lots of people found this exam one of the toughest of this exam cycle. Seems that an in-depth knowledge of synoptic topics (F332!) was required for this exam. They seemed to like H-Bonding rather alot, and the questions on the Ni-Cd half cell seemed a little ambiguous; not to mention the question on the reduced amounts of reactants affecting the rate equation...

Overall: :confused:
    In regard to your last point, I put that this is to measure the initial rate which is most accurate and representative as a value for rate because the reactants are still more or less constant at the start. That was just a wild stab.

Also, I had no idea for the battery recharging thing. I think I just reversed the top reaction in the table to do the opposite of oxidation. What a load of horse.

A Grade had better be sub-65.

ReputationRep:
    From pretty much start to finish, it was a shambles. Glad to hear everyone else found it hard xD

Did anyone get k=24 for the rate equation question? Some people got 12 ? :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr-Joey-C)
    From pretty much start to finish, it was a shambles. Glad to hear everyone else found it hard xD

Oohh I think I got 24! *high five*

ReputationRep:

I got 24

ReputationRep:

I got 24 but I think I messed up on the units.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.