Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why are brits unfortunate looking in the looks department? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How dare you, I'm beautiful on the inside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Thing is you can't disagree with OP - it's a fact that the British are regarded as an ugly nation. I haven't just singled you out so don't worry it's nothing personal Instead of having a go at people who say the British are ugly, should you not be asking why they think the British are ugly? Until you know the why, you have no substance to any reply you may make. I personally think that the British are an ugly nation for numerous reasons:
    1)Lack of fashion sense
    2)Lack of a healthy lifestyle
    3)Strong features which are regarded as unattractive due to them being a result of poor variety in genetics, which makes sense considering that the UK is an island.
    If you want to disagree with those points & construct a cleverly thought out counter-argument, feel free, but looking through British clothes shops and seeing the hundreds of dresses which are either too revealing, coated in granny floral patterns or sequins it's going to be a hard point to argue.
    And the insincere apology is just a bit childish :indiff:
    Ok, since you're using the 'bad genetics because the UK is an island' argument. What about Iceland, Japan, Ireland, and all of the island nations in the Caribbean & Pacific? Why don't you consider the people there ugly?

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about silly boy, there are plenty of good looking British women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    i sucked your mum's tits. she's such a slut
    OK, good for you.

ReputationRep:
    I bet if the people rating others on that dating site met the Brits in real life, they'd be well up there. British accents make all foreigners melt.

Anyway, who cares? So what if a million people you don't know are ugly? look in the mirror, see your own beauty and prove the stereotypers wrong. Nobody will think you're ugly simply because you're British..

I can't believe the fuss that article has made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katq)
    I bet if the people rating others on that dating site met the Brits in real life, they'd be well up there. British accents make all foreigners melt.

Anyway, who cares? So what if a million people you don't know are ugly? look in the mirror, see your own beauty and prove the stereotypers wrong. Nobody will think you're ugly simply because you're British..

I can't believe the fuss that article has made.
    The only paper to publish that article should have been the Daily Mail tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Thing is you can't disagree with OP - it's a fact that the British are regarded as an ugly nation. I haven't just singled you out so don't worry it's nothing personal Instead of having a go at people who say the British are ugly, should you not be asking why they think the British are ugly? Until you know the why, you have no substance to any reply you may make. I personally think that the British are an ugly nation for numerous reasons:
    1)Lack of fashion sense
    2)Lack of a healthy lifestyle
    3)Strong features which are regarded as unattractive due to them being a result of poor variety in genetics, which makes sense considering that the UK is an island.
    If you want to disagree with those points & construct a cleverly thought out counter-argument, feel free, but looking through British clothes shops and seeing the hundreds of dresses which are either too revealing, coated in granny floral patterns or sequins it's going to be a hard point to argue.
    And the insincere apology is just a bit childish :indiff:
    I never actually disagreed with any of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    Ok you caught me out. I didnt include the females you uploaded. I aint gonna gas, they look good.
    Im not saying that all the british girls look bad, because that ain true, but its harder to find a good looking girl in this country than in some other countries.
    OK fair point. I'm sorry about my original angry post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    This is utter, utter *******s. Are you aware of just how many waves of immigrants have ended up on these shores? The English Channel is a limit to biodiversity, but humans have crossed it regularly for thousands of years.

ReputationRep:
    I think we're just not that concerned by appearance and improving it than other cultures. We're not a terribly superficial people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    This is utter, utter *******s. Are you aware of just how many waves of immigrants have ended up on these shores? The English Channel is a limit to biodiversity, but humans have crossed it regularly for thousands of years.
    Your understanding of biology and history is embarrassing - then again you don't need those to help colour in maps :awesome:. What waves of immigrants? There certainly have not been any waves that have occurred for long enough to have helped create genetic diversity.
    But now let's flip the coin over kid. The fact is Brits are considered ugly. Why is this? Instead of being a juvenile fool, how about you give some thought and substance to your argument? Or that too much to ask?

(Original post by No Man)
    Ok, since you're using the 'bad genetics because the UK is an island' argument. What about Iceland, Japan, Ireland, and all of the island nations in the Caribbean & Pacific? Why don't you consider the people there ugly?
    Nice strawman - I never said those people were attractive or unattractive :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdfighter28)
    This.

Add Keira Knightley, Colin Firth:love: and Orlando Bloom to the list
    How could I forget Orlando Bloom! Shame on me XD And Keira Knightley is so pretty I'm jealous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Your understanding of biology and history is embarrassing - then again you don't need those to help colour in maps :awesome:. What waves of immigrants? There certainly have not been any waves that have occurred for long enough to have helped create genetic diversity.
    But now let's flip the coin over kid. The fact is Brits are considered ugly. Why is this? Instead of being a juvenile fool, how about you give some thought and substance to your argument? Or that too much to ask?
    :facepalm:

Angles, Saxons, Normans, Romans, Vikings, Celts, Friesians, and many, many more. Have you genuinely never heard of these? Their migration to these isles only forms the first few thousand years of our history, y'know . . .

Britain was also the endpoint of migration for several mitochondrial Haplogroups in the Neolithic and Bronze Age who form the core of the British gene pool and have been added to by the aforementioned ethnic groups. Genetically, we are hard to distinguish from other Western Europeans because there has been so much movement from the continent to the British Isles over the last four millennia.

As for your pithy commentary on my subject:

Heard it all before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    I never actually disagreed with any of that.
    Yes you did.
    I am sick and tired of this stereotype on which there is nothing to base on. Your nationality does not and never will affect what you look like, or your personality, and anybody who actually believes that should be sterilised.
    Stereotypes wouldn't exist if there wasn't anything to base them on, and frankly they are ****ing right. Most British guys are fat, squat ugly shaven headed selfish idiots with no fashion sense with most women being brain dead - if they are in shape they are a whore, if they are not in shape they are usually exceptionally boring, and both have no fashion sense & are extremely insecure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Nice strawman - I never said those people were attractive or unattractive :rolleyes:
    They're still islands though, and according to you British people are unattractive due to the lack of genetic variety, because it's an island.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to have an argument about superficial features.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have you know I'm not unfortunate in my looks department.
    My mirror just LIES.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    :facepalm:

Angles, Saxons, Normans, Romans, Vikings, Celts, Friesians, and many, many more. Have you genuinely never heard of these? Their migration to these isles only forms the first few thousand years of our history, y'know . . .

Britain was also the endpoint of migration for several mitochondrial Haplogroups in the Neolithic and Bronze Age who form the core of the British gene pool and have been added to by the aforementioned ethnic groups. Genetically, we are hard to distinguish from other Western Europeans because there has been so much movement from the continent to the British Isles over the last four millennia.

As for your pithy commentary on my subject:

Heard it all before.
    And how long ago did they invade? 1000 years ago? Do you really think that genetic variation won't have been watered down over 100's of millions of people through countless generations? Get an education kid.
    Well if you have heard it all before, how about answering the question instead of posting an inane picture? :o:
    Now let's flip the coin over kid. The fact is Brits are considered ugly. Why is this? "

If you've heard it before I'm sure you must have a wonderful answer to the above...:indiff:

(Original post by No Man)
    They're still islands though, and according to you British people are unattractive due to the lack of genetic variety, because it's an island.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to have an argument about superficial features.
    Yes take your strawman somewhere else - the UK is an island, hence one explanation for poor features due to genetic variety. Another could be the lack of exercise so many people do and the drinking culture that's been around for 100's of years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Yes take your strawman somewhere else - the UK is an island, hence one explanation for poor features due to genetic variety. Another could be the lack of exercise so many people do and the drinking culture that's been around for 100's of years.
    So, do you hold the same stereotypical views about the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Do you really think that genetic variation won't have been watered down over 100's of millions of people through countless generations?
    :facepalm2:

Please tell me this isn't how you actually think that genetics works. Please.

How do you think that variation arose between and within individual populations that migrated to the UK? (or anywhere else) Mutation. It didn't suddenly stop happening once those populations migrated to the UK. Lots of migration + long period of time since migration + mutation = substantial variation!

Tell you what, I'll buy you a biology textbook for Christmas next year! You obviously need it.

ReputationRep:
    It's all that english tea we drinks I tells ya! :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.