Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Everyone else has it covered, really, but just thought i'd point out that there are no charges for kindle internet: It's wi-fi, or free 3G. For now, anyway, Amazon covers the 3G cost.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of getting one of these, especially if i go on to do a PhD which means I can read journal articles on public transport without faffing about with paper and/or a laptop....iinteresting. Could be a good graduation present actually.

This thread is useful guys thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks also from me- I really want a kindle especially since I found out how many free books there are! The light thing especially is interesting since I like to read in low light before bed

ReputationRep:
    How much generally are kindle books? Are there a lot of academic books as well - I'm thinking university here? I'll be studying law, which involves hefty reading material and I'm dreading having to lug huge case files around London, so having some of the most important textbooks/dictionaries on kindle would make my life 10 times easier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Thanks also from me- I really want a kindle especially since I found out how many free books there are! The light thing especially is interesting since I like to read in low light before bed

If you already read paper books, there's no difference. In fact, a kindle can be easier, just make the font bigger!

(Original post by Rascacielos)
    How much generally are kindle books? Are there a lot of academic books as well - I'm thinking university here? I'll be studying law, which involves hefty reading material and I'm dreading having to lug huge case files around London, so having some of the most important textbooks/dictionaries on kindle would make my life 10 times easier!
    Just go and have a look in the Kindle store on Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Just go and have a look in the Kindle store on Amazon.
    :facepalm2:

One day I will develop some common sense, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

One day I will develop some common sense, thank you!
    Heh, it's fine... I also spend some time on kindle and e reader forums, and it's amazing how often the question (and sore really silly ones too) get asked.

ReputationRep:
    Although I love my Kindle, I would say that it seems much better suited for reading fiction (or at least books you read straight through). Although you can set bookmarks and skip from place to place, I can't see having academic books on Kindle as practical for referencing compared to having books with tags that I can flick through physically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Although I love my Kindle, I would say that it seems much better suited for reading fiction (or at least books you read straight through). Although you can set bookmarks and skip from place to place, I can't see having academic books on Kindle as practical for referencing compared to having books with tags that I can flick through physically.
    That's a fair point. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    I love Kindle for referencing because you can just search for key words in your notes/highlights instead of frantically flicking through a book for 15 minutes because you can't remember where you saw the quote you need. :/

ReputationRep:
    Another question for anyone who knows...

Does anyone know of a good non-leather case which you don't have to remove to use the kindle? I have found this one which looks sturdy and practical http://tuff-luv.com/polka-hot-faux-l...-3-purple.html

However, it's only in pink, red or purple polka-dot, which I'm not so keen on (Although the red's growing on me). There is also no space for storage of a light or inbuilt light, which would be a good extra. They also have other non-leather ones but they aren't as 'sleek' which I prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Another question for anyone who knows...

Does anyone know of a good non-leather case which you don't have to remove to use the kindle? I have found this one which looks sturdy and practical http://tuff-luv.com/polka-hot-faux-l...-3-purple.html

However, it's only in pink, red or purple polka-dot, which I'm not so keen on (Although the red's growing on me). There is also no space for storage of a light or inbuilt light, which would be a good extra. They also have other non-leather ones but they aren't as 'sleek' which I prefer.
    It's tuff love, so it;s regarded as very good. And looking at it, I think you could clip a reading light to the top when it's open, on the front of the flap holding the kindle in. I don't like that style of case becasue it covers everything up- I like having my kindle uncovered, hence living the amazon one with the hinges, but they, of course, are leather.

How about somethin like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Leathe...6057636&sr=8-4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    It's tuff love, so it;s regarded as very good. And looking at it, I think you could clip a reading light to the top when it's open, on the front of the flap holding the kindle in. I don't like that style of case becasue it covers everything up- I like having my kindle uncovered, hence living the amazon one with the hinges, but they, of course, are leather.

How about somethin like this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Leathe...6057636&sr=8-4
    Thanks very much, that one also looks good, and probably like it's not as heavy as the Tuff Luv one whish might be a little much to carry around. Also this one's black but still plain which I like. I will save the link in preparation!

I want a kindle so bad!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Thanks very much, that one also looks good, and probably like it's not as heavy as the Tuff Luv one whish might be a little much to carry around. Also this one's black but still plain which I like. I will save the link in preparation!

I want a kindle so bad!!!!
    You will love the kindle! Think of a name for it, that's always fun!

ReputationRep:
    Free if you look in the right places and then convert them to the required viewing programme (though most come "kindle ready" )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Free if you look in the right places and then convert them to the required viewing programme (though most come "kindle ready" )
    And where exactly are the "right places"?

ReputationRep:
    And where exactly are the "right places"?
    well i cant give you names of these places on an open forum but lets just say they share the name of a fast moving body of water

ReputationRep:
    I am making my way through Amazon's excellent collection of free classics and was wondering what your favourties are.

So far mine are Tacitus: The Histories, and the Brothers Karamazov.

ReputationRep:
    I am just about to get my kindle, is it any good ? Also, any books you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    The kindle is potentially the best thing I have bought in the last few years. You will see when you get yours.

Also, I would recommend making your way through the free classics and just downloading them all. There is everything there from Gibbon to Kant to Twain.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.