Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I dont seek out oppertunities to give blood but im more than willing to do so, would be willing to take blood, and am going to donate my organs once dead

ReputationRep:
    just wondering as someone who really wants to donate blood, what are the rules? age, infection, time outside infection zones etc. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr. doc)
    just wondering as someone who really wants to donate blood, what are the rules? age, infection, time outside infection zones etc. thanks
    There's a good questionnaire/check thing on the blood website here http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-bl...-health-check/
    If you pass that you should be fine.

On that website there's also who can/can't in more detail.

ReputationRep:
    My arms still bruised from donating a week ago Wasnt any different from the previous 7 times and never has before, oh well.

I've donated and would receive if necessary. I hate needles so don't look at them at all, almost blacked out the first time I donated (nerves/worry) but seemed to be fine since then. I'm O- so my bloods pretty handy and I feel it's a bit hypocritical if i'd receive but not donate.

The latest donor cards are rubbish too; little flimsy things compared to the proper ones that were like credit cards so I just keep taking my first one as the blue one would get destroyed in my wallet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Yeah loads of people have too low iron and cant donate
    thats the law so not much you can do about it unless you build up ure iron levels
    :rolleyes:
    Are you being sarcastic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    So you'd rather die than receive a life saving transfusion ?

And why doesnt your mother agree ?
    I really don't know what i'd do in that situation tbh. That's why i hope i'd never be in that situation. I wouldn't mind other people having my blood but i just wouldn't want anyone else's in me.

I haven't asked my mom why she doesn't agree. I think it's got something to do with one of her relatives who dissapeared (presumed dead) but other members of the family have always maintained that she died because of the hospital giving her "bad blood" when she needed a transfusion. This obv happened a long time before i was born and when my mom was a child but i think sometimes stuff like that can stick with you, regardless of whether or not there's any proof it actually happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Why doesn't she agree with it?
    I think it's got something to do with a family rumour (with some possible truth) about a relative dying after being given "bad blood" from the hospital. I haven't actually asked though so i might be wrong but that's the impression i've always got.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who can give blood and hasn't is selfish to be quite honest.

If you expect to receive blood when you need it, you should be paying into the system.

I don't believe in this needle phobia crap either, unless you actually do have a phobia (someone talking about a guy fainting when people talk about needles before?) <- Thats a phobia. Nobody likes needles, I can't watch it go in because it'd make me feel sick. You can't give an opinion on it till you've gone and done it, even if its just once. If you want to stop the donation, you can ask at any point. Just give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    I was supposed to about 2 weeks ago, but couldn't get there because my car died and the roads were blocked with snow. Racked with guilt, so I'm going to attend another one ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    Top tip -

If you want a cheap night out, give blood first

Mann I got hammered quick after that

ReputationRep:
    I gave blood for the first time two weeks ago on Tuesday, my right arm was dodgy so I got a massive bruise there thats not gone yet I then got a bruise on my other arm too lol, and eventually at the end I passed out.. But the people there are really helpful and if you do have a fainting problem (like me) then you're always in good hands. And I'm definitely giving blood again, in March ^.^

I think its a great thing to do and if you're elligible and not afraid of needles, blood etc (my boyfriend would but he's afraid of needles, even too scared to go in the room), you should at least give blood once, it's not like it'll hurt you or anything.

But yeah, free will and all, if you don't want to you shouldn't be forced, I think it's just something that people do as a good cause anyway and if people don't want to help it's their problem..

ReputationRep:
    I gave blood yesterday... they (again) had lots of trouble finding a vein so it had to go over to the side a little bit and now I have a pretty nice bruise there... but finally a complete pint donation (the first time it stopped halfway and the second time there were just no veins at all).

My arm ached like a mother****er for the rest of the day but it's fine today.

ReputationRep:
    I give blood once a quarter when my school does its blood drive. I'm not needle phobic or anything like that, and its convient to just go after class and get it done.

Also, when I go on the last day, all the who kept putting it off because they were nervous go at the same time. The last time I was there I saw 3 people faint while giving blood.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.