The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I offered to pay my parents something when I was living at home after I graduated but they said that as long as I was being sensible with my money and not frittering it away they wouldn't take any. I think that if I had been wasting it, they would have taken some each week but not actually spent it, they would have put it into an account to give back to me at a later date or something. Now, I wouldn't have objected to contributing - although as they're homeowners rather than renters I don't think rent is the most sensible idea, I think doing some food shopping or helping out with bills is a better idea -, but I think this is a good plan.

Edit: and of course I helped around the house - I did the majority of the cooking, especially during the week as I got home from work before my mum, and also did my share of the cleaning etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 201
My parents would pay me to come back home more often and yes I'm Asian.
My friend's parents take half his job seekers allowance, makes him clean the kitchen/do the washing up everyday and makes tea whenever his mum feels like it :/ They also say he doesn't do anything for them and that he's ungrateful... Feel lucky you're just paying rent.
I haven't been asked to pay rent
but i'm thinking, when I graduate from uni, if I have to move back i'll probably be put £200 a month towards living at home, if my parents take it.
Original post by TurboCretin
Does this mean that they would get in some random lodger otherwise? Or is the rent supposed to cover the cost of food and utilities that you incur?

I'm not paying for the room, but what I pay goes towards electricity/gas/water bills etc. I know not every situation is the same but atm my parents are struggling to pay bills/mortgage so my contribution helps a lot. Obviously they didn't expect payment when I was younger because I had no income but the way things are now, my rent/board money really helps them out.
Nada
£200. I'd give her even more but I'm not currently working.
Reply 207
Some of you are seriously missing the point.
It's not that my parents don't love me or want to make a profit from me: they just want to teach me the value of money. I know that my parents aren't loaded, and I know that food and bills are expensive...so seeing as I have my own source of income, why wouldn't I help to pay my way? Some of you are going to have a shock when you all graduate/move out and figure the true cost of daily living.

Even if my parents didn't ask me for a monthly sum, I would still insist on paying. I pay 100 per month.
Reply 208
lols, this is so backward. how can you be made to give rent to your parents that's just wrong! If you give them money at will when they retire that is perfectly normal, but rent lolz wtf.
Original post by SmokeOnTheWater
My friend's parents take half his job seekers allowance, makes him clean the kitchen/do the washing up everyday and makes tea whenever his mum feels like it :/ They also say he doesn't do anything for them and that he's ungrateful... Feel lucky you're just paying rent.

My bf's Mum did this. Took most of his JSA and still expected him to cook, clean and ensure she didn't go too mental when she spent the money on booze and crap food.

I paid my Mum £40 a month during the summer as I was in heavy debt but when I first graduated and trying to find a flat and decent paid job it was £100 or so I can't really remember.

At the time I hated paying rent but it did teach me the value of money. The rent, bills, food and general crap doesn't pay itself and an extra mouth to feed (me) wasn't any easier on their wage packet they didn't HAVE to pay for me. I was an adult and should make my own way in life. I hated living on the basic minumum when my peers were buying MacBooks and flying to Croatia but that's just life really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by StacFace

I disagree that people who pay rent to their parents don't get much freedom, at 19 I'm not really "controlled" anymore. They don't stop me going out and getting drunk, and have no problems with me stumbling in at 2/3/4/8am from a night out.

I can pretty much do what I want; as long as they know where I am and who I'm with.
Reply 211
I've not had to give my parents anything up till now, only cause their struggling with money just now. I only work part time and have got the minimum student loan which I took to cover emergencies and stuff. I've not got a lot of hours at work just now, so I'm giving £30 a month, which isn't a lot. I'll give more as soon as I start getting more hours at work, and when working full time over summer. My younger brother who works full time is giving 20% of his wages, so £180ish a month? I think, something like that.

My parents were always saying we didn't have to give anything if we were in full time education, but they owe child tax credits that they were overpaid and have 6 kids to look after and times are hard.
Nothing, because they love me.

Original post by .Scout.
Some of you are seriously missing the point.
It's not that my parents don't love me or want to make a profit from me: they just want to teach me the value of money. I know that my parents aren't loaded, and I know that food and bills are expensive...so seeing as I have my own source of income, why wouldn't I help to pay my way? Some of you are going to have a shock when you all graduate/move out and figure the true cost of daily living.

Even if my parents didn't ask me for a monthly sum, I would still insist on paying. I pay 100 per month.

My parents are competent enough to teach me the value of money and what things cost, without taking it from me.
Reply 213
£0 at the moment coz i dont have a job. at college but when i get into uni i'll get a job and intend to give them a big-ish portion of the salary seeing as we're not to good on money income at the moment. - thats just me though
Reply 214
Original post by Sophie_girl

My parents are competent enough to teach me the value of money and what things cost, without taking it from me.

Well, good for them.
My parents aren't 'taking' money from me, I am willingly giving it to them. Don't you feel grateful for all the years that your parents have provided for you, and feel that now that you are able to pay your way that you should? Even if it is contributing a little?

I'm 20 so my parents no longer HAVE to provide for me. I'm an adult, I have a part time job and have my student loan. I've moved out and realsied the true cost of living, so when I'm back at home why wouldn't I help out? I'm no longer a child that needs to be fended for, so I'm going to do the mature and responsible thing and help my parents out when they need some extra cash. If i'm eating the food/using the electricity then its only right that I pay my share.

Some people need a reality check.

Haha, seriously.

I can understand people in lower income households helping out, but if your parents are fairly well off (as was the case with myself and most of my friends) then paying rent just seems pointless.

Surely they'd rather you enjoyed your youth as much as you could, got a decent education, etc. than spent time worrying about giving them money they don't need.

But yeah, as you said, I don't know anyone that paid rent, and none of us are dicks with money. I live in a house with friends now, we pay bills/rent etc on time fine. It's not exactly hard, or something you need to be taught, unless you're a complete moron.
Reply 216
My dad earns loads, but still wanted 25% of my minimum wage. He said he was going to take 25% of my student loan too, but didn't in the end.
Original post by .Scout.
Well, good for them.
My parents aren't 'taking' money from me, I am willingly giving it to them. Don't you feel grateful for all the years that your parents have provided for you, and feel that now that you are able to pay your way that you should? Even if it is contributing a little?

I'm 20 so my parents no longer HAVE to provide for me. I'm an adult, I have a part time job and have my student loan. I've moved out and realsied the true cost of living, so when I'm back at home why wouldn't I help out? I'm no longer a child that needs to be fended for, so I'm going to do the mature and responsible thing and help my parents out when they need some extra cash. If i'm eating the food/using the electricity then its only right that I pay my share.

Some people need a reality check.

Mine wouldn't even think of accepting it if I offered. I'm not particularly well off ether. Grateful is giving them my love and respect in return - there is no need to pay them as though they are my LANDLORDS.

Why wouldn't you help out? Family values perhaps?! And exactly - you have a student loan... why on earth your parents would accept money from their child who is currently in debt is beyond me. WTF.

I find this completely ludicrous to be honest :lolwut:
Original post by AIK ALIF

Original post by AIK ALIF
lols, this is so backward. how can you be made to give rent to your parents that's just wrong! If you give them money at will when they retire that is perfectly normal, but rent lolz wtf.

Its called helping your parents out, you're no longer a child and if your living in their house its only the best to help with the money...seeing as they won't be getting child benefits (or whatever its called) when their child is no longer an adult but living with them. I would If I could...lol but currently I'm only 19 and give my mum about £20 a week for her bus money xD
Mine wouldn't even think of accepting it if I offered. I'm not particularly well off ether. Grateful is giving them my love and respect in return - there is no need to pay them as though they are my LANDLORDS.

Why wouldn't you help out? Family values perhaps?! And exactly - you have a student loan... why on earth your parents would accept money from their child who is currently in debt is beyond me. WTF.

I find this completely ludicrous to be honest :lolwut:

Because it's ridiculous for a 20-something graduate to simply return home and expect mum and dad to look after them as though they were a toddler again.
The 'love and respect' you give your parents doesn't pay for the food and electricity you consume. Similarly, the love and respect they gave you as a child didn't feed and clothe you. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending