Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to be a writer: How can I stand out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

My advice to you would be to write in as many places as possible in order to get noticed. Get a Tumblr and post work on there - Tumblr has an amazing creative writing community in which you could make some real connections. Also, do things like join online writing forums which would help you to get better at what you do (for instance: youngwriterssociety.com). Any medium which will garner you connections, get you noticed and help you to improve is useful.

Amy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doke)
    Coolio. Got any hints for things that'll make me look good on the CV? Te he he.
    My lips are sealed There's some advice on the 'Join us' tab, ie just show an interest in global issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    My lips are sealed There's some advice on the 'Join us' tab, ie just show an interest in global issues.
    Fair enough :P

ReputationRep:
    www.critiquecircle.com is another great critique website which I used to get feedback back when I was thinking about writing as a profession...

ReputationRep:
    Hee, TSR really is the place to find everyone
    -Rina (the one who's obsessed with all things Russian! ^-^)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Hee, TSR really is the place to find everyone
    -Rina (the one who's obsessed with all things Russian! ^-^)
    My cover is blown! :cool: How's it going? I've got Alex, our new sub-editor, looking through your article. Should be published tomorrow at 7.

ReputationRep:
    My cover is blown! :cool: How's it going? I've got Alex, our new sub-editor, looking through your article. Should be published tomorrow at 7.
    Haha, there's no place to hide on the internet Sounds great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I agree with a lot of whats been said especially gaining valid experience. I myself have looked for the same kinda thing and just having a article published is so rewarding and looks great on the cv! If you are looking for a place to start try http://www.thestu.co.uk as they are always looking for new writers and even gave me a reference for a short article even though it didn't make the first issue. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shacks1)
    I agree with a lot of whats been said especially gaining valid experience. I myself have looked for the same kinda thing and just having a article published is so rewarding and looks great on the cv! If you are looking for a place to start try http://www.thestu.co.uk as they are always looking for new writers and even gave me a reference for a short article even though it didn't make the first issue. Best of luck.
    Cheers, I'm looking at it now. The suggested site in the posts just above I've been looking at, but I have actually had no time and now I'm clogging up this week with going through EVERY suggestion so I can, y'know, do the most to kick off, as it were.

Thanks. For the luck and the website and for posting at all! :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    There are several things you need to do, all of which depend on where you want to go. Do you want to write novels? Biographies? Opinion pieces? News articles?

Here's what you need to do:
    - Gain a sense of unwarrented self-importance. You need this as a writer. You have to believe that everyone wants to know what you think.
    - Be negative in your approach. People in this country like to read about people who fail and things that suck. Even if someone has spent a lot of time and effort on something, they suck and they fail, and your readers need to know how and why.
    - You must develop a very sarcastic and scornful sense of humour where you are able to imply that what ever you are writing about is so incredibly far beneath you that you wouldn't be writing about it if it wasn't your job.
    - From now on you can't enjoy anything. Everything is crap.
    - Hind sight is 20/20 - always remember that. When someone cocks up, use the knowledge of how and why to tell your readers what an idiot they are, and what a far superior being like yourself would have done in those circumstances.
    - Put your own spin on everything. Don't just report the facts, people want to know what to think about it too, and remember, everything sucks and everyone fails.
    - Never ever try or attempt to do the very things that you are writing about. Doing so would mean that you are on a level with the person that you are criticising, and as a writer, you can't have that.

Hope this helps
    This reminds me of Alexander Sedler!

ReputationRep:
    These threads are really rather pointless. The answer to your question is self evident. Almost anyone that aspires knows what they need to do, it's if they posses the talent to do so. There really isn't any magical trade secret.

I disagree however with not doing a blog. Although the internet is over-saturated with writing blogs. It's an outlet to express yourself and improve your writing as well as getting used to feedback. Read a few of the writing blogs and analyse. There is a reason there all the same.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.