Your most controversial views? Watch

Celtic_Anthony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Contrary to the lyrics of certain songs, Michael Fagan did not shag the Queen.
SpyroGyro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by laughylolly)
- Most of the public sector should be privatised (including parts of the NHS) to reduce government spending/debt
- There should be no or little corporation tax to encourage businesses to make more profits to allow the economy to grow.
- Scottish government should have more power over decisions made in Scotland for Scotland.
- Debt of LEDC's should be written off.
- Pro nuclear power
Misuse of apostrophes should be punishable by a one week ban on writing posts.
j.alexanderh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Michael Locke)
You should have to earn the right to vote through some kind of test. People should at least have some knowledge (it doesn't have to be a particularly difficult test) of party policies before they vote solely on how cool or attractive the party leader is..
I've thought this for a long time. It is stupid to give the vote to people who don't know what to do with it.
the-snail
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1. I support the right to bear arms
2. I don't think the likes of Tony Martin should go to prison
3. I believe in national service
4. I think taxes on alcohol should be decreased & the age to purchase alcohol & tobacco reduced to 16
5. I think soliciting for prostitution & prostitutes living off their earnings should be legal (IMO prostitution itself is legal, just everything connected with it is banned)
6. I believe speed cameras are a scam
7. I supported the Iraq war (but not for the 'official' reasons ie. I don't buy the WMD thing)
8. I don't think we should be doing anything to increase rape convictions
9. I think the only restriction on free speech should be the Scots laws re. defamation
10. I believe that old people can be a burden
11. I don't think people with serious genetic disabilities should be allowed to reproduce
12. I don't believe in political correctness or 'positive discrimination'
13. I think 'climate change' is a scam or at least the facts are heavily embellished by those wishing to make money from it
14. I think in personal injury cases, if there's any contributory negligence (ie. you contributed to the cause of your injuries), you should get no compensation
gozatron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
United Ireland.
ArcadiaHouse
Badges: 15
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chaofan88)
I'm sorry, exactly what is wrong with feminism. The whole point of feminism is to attain equality between men and women, not to raise women above men or to somehow try and rule men as obsolete and inferior. Once someone is fighting for women to be recognised as better than men it can no longer be called feminism.

I guess that's my controversial view, I support feminism. Sad that it could so be considered controversial..
That's because men are threatened by feminism.
Muffinz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm for the destruction of party politics - I want to vote in independent MPs and have a PM election separately.
sollythewise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
israel is not the source of all evil. the main reason there is no peace in the middle east is Islamic extremism, closely followed by the intransigence of the palestinian street (not the politicians, who clearly want peace, but can't sell it to their people).

i believe in god.

at this point i should say something like "i'm gonna be negged hee hee" but i can't think of anything witty or interesting, so this will have to do.
Rhadamanthus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I also believe that tax evasion is a very moral thing to do. It is not theft since you cannot steal your own money or property.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by laughylolly)
I'm not saying it can happen. But it would be good if it was somehow possible... maybe they would eventually have the financial freedom to grow.

Edit: Some individual countries like Canada are actually writing off a lot of debt that LEDC's owe them... I guess it would have to be the choice of the lender.
Yes if individual lenders are happy to cancel thats fair enough. The problem with large debt cancellation is that developing countries are in phases of their development where they need access to borrowing to be able to invest (in infrastructure, transport network, capital stock and so on). Their ability to get access to borrowing depends on the willingness of others to provide them with funds (and expecting they will get it back). The moment there has been a big write off it may set the debt back to zero but nobody will lend to them any more because they will see them as a bad risk, similar to how an individual or firm can declare themselves bankrupt but they aren't going to get a mortgage after that.

If developing countries are constrained to having to use current tax revenues to invest in infrastructure then they will never be able to have the money up front to invest in it so they will stay backward.

I do sympathise with the argument on the unfairness of debt owed by the developing world to the West especially as the colonials went and stole their resources and used people as slaves and so on, so from a historical point of view the West owes Africa, Latin America, India etc a 'debt'. So I think the West does have an obligation to support developing countries' infrastructure investment. The difficulty often comes in the poor quality of institutions in those countries themselves, there is a poor legal and law enforcement system and there is load of corruption and opportunity for individuals and officials to make money through bribes at every level of every process.

I agree with you on devolved Scottish power though in fact I would give the Scots a referendum on full devolution, although as an English person I personally would not want to lose Scotland from the UK but I think it's the Scottish voters' right to make a choice on that.
lightburns
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by IFondledAGibbon)
Nationalism, sexism, anti-environmentalism (if that's a word)
Okay, lets take it apart bit by bit.

(Original post by cttp_ngaf)
I am very much for national borders and ethnic segregation. I think people are best off this way.

I want to preserve individual cultures, not destroy them all and merge into one.
Could do with some clarification on this. It is true that multiculturalism does cause friction between the cultures, and ends up just trampling on different lifestyles because they are not compatible. So burkhas, shops forced to close early on a Sunday, Friday as a workday or not, kosher/halal meat being used universally are some examples of religious traditions that cause friction. There are tribal groups who people very carefully make sure to not allow them to see other people, simply due to not wanting to bulldoze over their way of life.

Needs clarification to know how extreme cttp is on this

I think the planet is grossly overpopulated and that this is the major cause of most/all of our global problems.
Can't argue with that..

I am pro-eugenics and absolutely against encouraging weak and undesirable children to be born when they needn't be.
Again, needs clarification. I don't think people should knowingly create disabled children when they had a choice to not, or to screen. The right of the child to not be disabled if precautions can be taken come above the rights of the parent to have the child. For example.
So need to know how extreme cttp is on this.

I have "traditional" views on gender roles. As in, what I think is best for people and what makes them happy, not what I would force them to do. I just think people shouldn't have to face societal pressures which conflict with their biological urges.

I think that the genetic differences between people, and between groups of people, influence their brains as well as every other part of them which we all accept.
cttp offers clarification on this. what makes them happy, not what I would force them to do. So he's against the social pressures, eg. the inequality in applying for physics where women are far more encouraged and aided.
Biologically and psychologically there are genetic differences over men and women which will create different average strengths and preferences. I also disagree with society trying to push men and women to be the same. Same is not the only way to be equal. You can be different, but equal. I don't agree with how society tries to turn women into men as though they should be men - pushing them into male-dominated subjects and professions. They should just be free to choose what they like, even if this creates average differences.
So I agree with cttp.

I'm against many trendy forms of environmentalism, but all for certain others.
For example I am absolutely against wind farms, probably the most environmentally-destructive form of power generation available today.
Would like to know why that is, so can't comment.
Note that this is not 'anti-environmentalism, Gibbon. It is pro-environmentalism, but thinking that 'trendy' forms aren't actually good environmental ideas.

Personally, I'm pro nuclear power, which has a stigma around people, including environmentalists.

**** knows, most of my views are controversial. And correct, of course.

So there is the views of cttp taken apart. cttp could have terribly controversial views, if he gives clarification. But the things he has explained seem to be sensible enough, or an arguably legitimate alternative view. Nothing to be shocked about.
Maths Freak!!!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
BNP should be banned.
Unwavering
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My most controversial view? Ban alcohol and cigarettes, also limit the number of unhealthy fatty foods e.t.c, I believe our body deserves respect from us, and we should prioritise our health before pleasure and enjoyment.
JohnC2211
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
For real psychotic chavs: National Service.

Yes, let's take psychotic chavs, give them a gun, and teach them how to kill people. :rolleyes:
JohnC2211
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Libertinedreamer)
I don't believe in ivf and think if you can't have kids then you shouldn't be helped out. Your falwty genes are weakening the human race!

You shot yourself in the foot when you said "falwty". Dropped on your head, were you? Repeatedly? Then had an anvil dropped on your miserable little face?
tleave2000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think multiculturalism was a great idea and I think integration and mass immigration are destroying it.
madge.DC
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Peado's should be castrated! :mad: I have friends who are councillors and they are like bla bla bla- they can't help it, they were abused themselves, with therapy......um...NO!
I have a daughter and if ...(I can't even say it- but you get my drift)...I sware I wouldn't call the police- I would go over there and do the job myself- it's the only occasion that I believe that the sentence I would serve for doing it would be more than worth it.
(Something about this thread makes us all sound psycho- I don't on a usual day go out seeking to take bloody ball removing revenge)
CharlieBee_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DH-Biker)
The torture, slow burning and eventual death of racists, bigots and anyone who believes they are above another.

That. Really. Really. Annoys. Me.

I would watch with glee as this all happened.

If you neg, you're one of the above. And let it be known; you'll be taken into the torture chambers too.

No, I joke: Go ahead. Freedom of speech, an' all. :cool:
This.
newyorkcitycops
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think the world is overcrowded, can see civilization failing soon enough, and feel that capitalism needs to be brought down for a more equal system.
JohnC2211
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Right, it's late so I didn't look through all 12 pages... apologies. Some of these may have already been said.

1) UK Police should have training in firearms and the ability to carry firearms on duty if they so choose. It would not be a requirement, and there would be no quotas. It would be similar to the current AFO system we have in place now, only the PC would be able to carry their firearm routinely, and not just when the superintendent allows it. Again, this would NOT be a requirement, as many Officers state if they were forced to carry a gun, they'd resign.

2) I am still undecided whether or not we should have the right to bear arms. I can see both sides of the argument. One is that just look at America, they have lots of gun crime, England will be the same. My response to that is look at the SIZE of America compared to England. It's MAHOOSIVE. Of course they are going to have more crime. Criminals can get their hands on guns relatively easily in this country, so the only persons being affected by the anti-gun laws are law abiding citizens.

3) I'm all for the death penalty in certain circumstances. Forensic evidence has reached the point now where it is highly unlikely that an innocent person would be executed. Obviously, the death penalty would not be available when said forensic evidence was unavailable, or there was ANY doubt.

4) Schools should only be allowed to teach religion as part of a discussion of a wider philosophy. i.e they should explore other religions. Particularly in Primary School. In mine, we were forced to sing hymns every morning at the start of assembly, we had to go to church on school trips, and I regularly got detention for not singing the hymns, and for telling the teachers I did not believe in God (yeah, I was a little trouble maker). Fair enough that some schools are catholic/christian schools, but some parents have no choice but to send their children there. There may not be another school in the local area etc, and young children are being taught that religion is fact, and when they don't respond, they are punished.

That's about it for now. It's late so excuse any poorly constructed arguments/grammatical errors. Quote or PM me and I'll be happy to debate and explain at a more reasonable hour!

One last thing! Climate change. The Govt is just as responsible. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRdGlTik_LM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (442)
37.81%
No - but I will (88)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.82%

Watched Threads