Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It depends what you've done - if you've booked accommodation etc you'll also need to cancel that. And you'll probably need to email your uni too (you'll get a letter through the post from UCAS with details).
    I haven't booked any accommodation and will not until after results day if I choose to go. So I just need to email to say thank you but I can't come and cancel it on UCAS?
    Thank you for your response.

ReputationRep:
    Offer from SOAS for Social Anthropology, and offer from the University of Bristol for Sociology + a year abroad. I want to be in London so much, but not sure which university reputation is better? Different people are saying SOAS, and others are saying Bristol is better! I have until the 7th of June to decide, so please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love_junkie298)
    Offer from SOAS for Social Anthropology, and offer from the University of Bristol for Sociology + a year abroad. I want to be in London so much, but not sure which university reputation is better? Different people are saying SOAS, and others are saying Bristol is better! I have until the 7th of June to decide, so please help!
    Check out the uni specific forums. You might also like to look at the unistats site for student satisfaction information.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.

I've applied to the University of Hertfordshire and on second thought, I've decided that I'm not really up for going there should I miss out on UEA.

Basically, I'm just wondering. If I was to miss out on UEA on Results Day and get into Herts, if I was to reject them, would I not be entered into Clearing?

ReputationRep:
    If you got Hertfordshire to release you, you could enter Clearing ... but it might take some time to be released and Clearing may have all but finished by the time you are.

If you're absolutely sure now that Hertfordshire doesn't interest you, contact them and ask them to reject you. You'd then only have a firm and, if you missed UEA's offer, would go straight to Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    If you got Hertfordshire to release you, you could enter Clearing ... but it might take some time to be released and Clearing may have all but finished by the time you are.

If you're absolutely sure now that Hertfordshire doesn't interest you, contact them and ask them to reject you. You'd then only have a firm and, if you missed UEA's offer, would go straight to Clearing.
    Okay, thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Get rejected beforehand, but be really sure 'cause Clearing is going to be even more mental this year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having to decide which uni to put as my insurance choice...

Uni A is my firm choice and has offered AAB
    Uni B has offered AAB or 340 tarrif points
    Uni C has offered AB

Is it too risky to put Uni B as my insurance, as there isn't a difference in the conditions?

I am not too keen on Uni C and am not sure even if I got the grades just for that that I'd want to go. But if I put Uni B then if I don't get the grades, I can either beg them (to let me in), or take a gap year!

Hope that makes sense, real pickle!

ReputationRep:
    Are you asking if it's a good idea to have B as your insurance instead of C, or whether it's possible at all? My insurance choice has technically a slightly higher grade conditions (AAAC instead of AAA for my firm), so yes it's doable. Whether it's a good idea is another thing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's possible within the UCAS system. Seeing as they have a 340 point offer, it actually makes sense as well - A*BB still achieves 340 points.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I mean whether it's a good idea or not? I know it's possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blisssy)
    I'm having to decide which uni to put as my insurance choice...

Uni A is my firm choice and has offered AAB
    Uni B has offered AAB or 340 tarrif points
    Uni C has offered AB

Is it too risky to put Uni B as my insurance, as there isn't a difference in the conditions?

I am not too keen on Uni C and am not sure even if I got the grades just for that that I'd want to go. But if I put Uni B then if I don't get the grades, I can either beg them (to let me in), or take a gap year!

Hope that makes sense, real pickle!
    Only you can decide how risky putting Uni B as your insurance choice would be - it depends on whether either Uni A or B has specified any subjects/grades. See the first post in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blisssy)
    I am not too keen on Uni C and am not sure even if I got the grades just for that that I'd want to go.
    Doesn't that answer your question? An insurance place that you would not want to take up is no insurance at all.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am an overseas student going to do engineering (most likely to be sustainable engineering) and have been accepted to:
    bath- A* in physics :O and 2 As for mechanical engineering sandwich 5 years
    soton- 3As for mech with sustainable energy systems
    durham- 3 As mechanical engineering

Which one do u think would be the best? I'm talking about in terms of job oppurtunities/reputation/research quality etc.
    According to the rankings bath is on top but sometimes rankings don't give a full picture
    Anyone studying these at the respective unis? could u tell me abt the uni life there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savetheplanet)
    Hi I am an overseas student going to do engineering (most likely to be sustainable engineering) and have been accepted to:
    bath- A* in physics :O and 2 As for mechanical engineering sandwich 5 years
    soton- 3As for mech with sustainable energy systems
    durham- 3 As mechanical engineering

Which one do u think would be the best? I'm talking about in terms of job oppurtunities/reputation/research quality etc.
    According to the rankings bath is on top but sometimes rankings don't give a full picture
    Anyone studying these at the respective unis? could u tell me abt the uni life there?
    Check out the course forum and the individual uni forums, and the first post in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I am also worried that I have made the wrong decision. I now would prefer to go to my insurance choice rather than my firm, but I made my choices for my firm and insurance almost a month ago.
    So, do I ask my insurance choice if I can go there, and then contact my firm uni and ask if they can reject me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .lauren)
    I am also worried that I have made the wrong decision. I now would prefer to go to my insurance choice rather than my firm, but I made my choices for my firm and insurance almost a month ago.
    So, do I ask my insurance choice if I can go there, and then contact my firm uni and ask if they can reject me?
    See the first post in this thread and Changing your Mind .

What I would say though is be very sure that this is the right thing to do, as you won't be able to put things back as they were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    x
    I was meaning to ask, what does it mean if a course is on UCAS Extra, does it mean that the univeristy still has places that are unfilled or are they trying to get people with better grades in?

cheers, sorry if this question was a bit vague or self-obvious, i was just wondering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waqar Y)
    I was meaning to ask, what does it mean if a course is on UCAS Extra, does it mean that the univeristy still has places that are unfilled or are they trying to get people with better grades in?

cheers, sorry if this question was a bit vague or self-obvious, i was just wondering
    It means that they are still willing to consider applications and make offers to candidates who meet their standard entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I confirmed my choices about a month ago, but I want to firm another university I have an offer for (but it is neither my firm or insurance). Is this pretty much impossible now?

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.