Turn on thread page Beta

Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just realised I'd posted my foodie crime in the wrong thread!! REPOST TIME! -

I really wanted to punch my brother-in-law this afternoon. I lovingly prepared some sea bass with puy lentils and greens, and made a separate herb butter if people wanted it on their vegetables.

He, however, doused his fish in ketchup. Sea Bass. Ketchup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I just realised I'd posted my foodie crime in the wrong thread!! REPOST TIME! -

I really wanted to punch my brother-in-law this afternoon. I lovingly prepared some sea bass with puy lentils and greens, and made a separate herb butter if people wanted it on their vegetables.

He, however, doused his fish in ketchup. Sea Bass. Ketchup.
    :eek::eek::eek:

ReputationRep:
    I know m'dear. It pee'd me off to no end. I honestly, literally, felt insulted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    Something else that annoys me that other people have mentioned - when people are really fussy and refuse to even try any new foods although they could make their diets much more varied, interesting and healthy. For instance, people who claim to hate all fruit and veg, when they've either never tried half of them or are basing their judgement on one occasion years ago when they were given it badly cooked or unripe.
    My BF used to be like this but I am teaching him When I met him he hated everything except carrots when they were all cooked and mushy. He now loves onions, doesn't mind peppers, and at the weekend my mum made us a massive bowl of lentil and vegetable soup. I thought he wouldn't eat it, but he gave it a try and polished off the lot

ReputationRep:
    "I hate all seafood" ticks me off, nadiah. Think about it. The world is two thirds water, so it's no surprise that the vast, vast majority of all food options comes from there. It's not just haddock, tuna, oysters, octopus and prawns. That's not "all seafood" despite each of those examples tasting very distinct anyway.

Saying you hate all seafood would be like someone saying they hated "all landfood" as it all tastes the same. Y'know, 'cos potatoes taste the same as duck.

ReputationRep:
    "I hate all seafood" ticks me off, nadiah. Think about it. The world is two thirds water, so it's no surprise that the vast, vast majority of all food options comes from there. It's not just haddock, tuna, oysters, octopus and prawns. That's not "all seafood" despite each of those examples tasting very distinct anyway.

Saying you hate all seafood would be like someone saying they hated "all landfood" as it all tastes the same. Y'know, 'cos potatoes taste the same as duck.
    Food politics at it's finest. I had this very same debate with a friend over coffee today. She is adamant that she doesn't like chinese, none of it, never, ever, NEVER. I asked her if she'd tried every chinese dish, she's tried one. She just "knows" she doesn't like it. It's like not liking shepards pie and saying you don't like any British food!

ReputationRep:
    Rep up for the Shepherd's pie comment. My friend had a flatmate from Istanbul during university who said British food was "all bland". All of it, we asked? Which dishes had he tried? Uni Cafeteria Roast Beef and Mash. And nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with some of the people on here.

R.E. Ketchup, I dont see the problem? Some people have different tastes.

I am a really fussy eater, for instance I hate mayonnaise, but if I cooked something and my sister wanted mayonnaise on it I wouldnt have a problem.

After all, the food is meant to be how they like it, no? If I like it with Ketchup, then I'll bloody put ketchup on it! Otherwise, I'll cook my own food, thankyou.

If you dont like me seasoning my food to taste, dont cook me it!!!

/Rant.

Sorry, but it just strikes me as ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

I will now go around telling people "I have tried lobster, shrimps, prawns, squid, mussels, scallops, seaweed and crab and I hate them quite a bit" instead of "I hate all seafood"

Fish is good though, calamari is tolerable

And on a related note, the same goes for people who "hate all meat"

ReputationRep:

I think I'm missing something, because I love seafood :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Your example was of veggies, but I find people do the same thing more frequently with seafood!

ReputationRep:
    Your example was of veggies, but I find people do the same thing more frequently with seafood!
    ahh I get you!

Yeah I totally agree, I knew one girl who used to always say she hated Chinese food. But like, beef in black bean sauce is completely different from sweet and sour chicken balls However this girl 'hated' pretty much anything, the only things I ever saw her eat were bread and pizza. And it had to be margharita pizza.

ReputationRep:
    ive never seen any succinct reason to not try a new dish, not matter how strange it looks or smells, because if its made as a dish, it means there are people who eat it often, if people eat it, its food, hence it can and should be eaten, i get irritated as well when they blatantly wont try something simply because of what it looks or smells like, its really "judging a book by its cover"

and the bad experiences thing, unless the person has been in serious physical or mental danger as a result of consuming a particular dish, they really should give the dish another try even though they had a "bad experience", more often than not, its just an unlucky batch, chef was careless or something and messed it up somehow

then again, that means there will be more food left for those who can actually appreciate it and know what it means to enjoy eating

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah - another petty one that gets my goat - my dad crunches Werther's Original.

SAVOUR THAT BAD BOY.

Nope, you just want to crunch it up and swallow it, completely avoiding the best part of a werthers - letting the buttery sweetness slowly caress your tongue as it melts away.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, double-post, to add to my previous point, I mean he crunches them the moment he puts one in his mouth. What a woeful waste of werthery wumciousness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Oh man, HP shepards pie . . . :coma:

HP mash sounds like a plan!

I put HP on subway melts whenever I get them - TIS THE FOOD OF THE GODS, even if the crazy people at Subway look at me oddly when I say I don't want sauces
    My subway (as in the one I used to work at) had HP as one of their sauces.. You should ask next time you might be pleasantly surprised

ReputationRep:
    Bluergh, double-hit of food crime - mum just reheated her Greggs Chicken bake, then put it on a plate, then put mayonnaise on top of it.

What the freak is going on.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah - another petty one that gets my goat - my dad crunches Werther's Original.

SAVOUR THAT BAD BOY.

Nope, you just want to crunch it up and swallow it, completely avoiding the best part of a werthers - letting the buttery sweetness slowly caress your tongue as it melts away.
    This exact point but for those Lindt Lindor chocolates! If you crunch them you miss the entire point of the soft centre oozing out into your mouth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emeleh)
    This exact point but for those Lindt Lindor chocolates! If you crunch them you miss the entire point of the soft centre oozing out into your mouth
    Oh TOTALLY. NEVER crunch a Lindt! Lindt, Werthers Original and Cadbury Eclairs are all sweets where it drives me nuts to give my dad one of - he just chews straight in! You've got to sook 'em! SOOK, SOOK, SOOK!

ReputationRep:
    I bought my (relatively uncultured) sister some really nice tuna steaks on Friday as her fiance had been on about never trying "proper tuna", and so I got her them and told her to "just sear it" on each side, and keep the inside nice and purpled. She sent me a picture asking if it was cooked enough at about 5ish last night.

*speechless*

I think that kind of epitomises food crime right there.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.